How many people still paint your figures.

I have bought painted figures and painted my own in the past.  I have used the same 16 teams for the last 20 years, and painted the 6 teams I added to my league back then.  Always had trouble with arm stripes and sock stripes, depending on the team and how much detail I tried to put in, such as five, three or two stripes. Nowadays, I'm usually just touching up where paint has chipped or worn off.

• Like 6

I still Paint My Teams and Truly Enjoy and Appreciate The Time Spent  Doing So. Would Not have It Any Other Way and it Is Also  Therapeutic and Skill Based Learning experience. Highly Recommend it to Anyone Able, Capable,  and Cost Effective Minded. Satisfaction and Skill Based Learning Experience Greatly 🏉💯🏈🎯👀

• Like 10

I love everybody's painting comments and of course I am way late to the party. 🙂 Stripes are very difficult to replicate. The most I can do is 5 stripes. But some helmet emblems are really difficult too. Some teams just warrant buying pre-painted figures. While I am proud of how my retro Patriots and my Tennessee Titan helmet logos turned out, I could never duplicate the Baltimore Ravens so I'm glad the pre-painted helmet decal is as accurate as it is. Same with my Washington Redskins and a few other teams. I have some really fine detail paint brushes but I'm not that good. I'm keeping my pre-painted Indian head logo. I take no offense to the term Redskin. My wife's heritage is full blooded Cherokee so I have no desire to update my Washington team to the Commanders, but I do like the Commanders name. The only other painting issue I have found is the correct shade for a team. Take my retro Tampa Bay Buccaneers for example. I use Testor enamel paints. If 5 drops of bright yellow are mixed with 1 drop of bright orange, the color turns out pretty close and the formula is now set if touch up or replacements are needed. Miami and Jacksonville are too hard for me mix so I bought the pre-painted teams for their home and away teams. As Greg said, it takes practice, practice, practice, practice, and more practice. I've been practicing for almost 50 years now. I plan on announcing that anniversary when it comes later this year. I hope ya'll enjoyed this post and that I didn't waste anyone's time or ruffle anyone's feathers. Good luck to everyone's painting efforts. Blessings, Curt

• Like 5

On 1/29/2023 at 12:57 PM, Greg Forney said:

I still Paint My Teams and Truly Enjoy and Appreciate The Time Spent  Doing So. Would Not have It Any Other Way and it Is Also  Therapeutic

I still paint my teams and I wouldn't do it any other way, also. However, I'm really weird. I use Stop Forward Progress tackling, I use dice for passing, and I do minimalist painting.

I don't paint helmets anymore. I paint the little plastic players' helmets the primary color (red, blue, green, white, etc.) and then I paint a Riddell pocket helmet to be the team helmet. Then if the helmet changes I change the Riddell helmet, not twenty-two little helmets. Also, I frequently paint the helmet with fingernail polish to get a "hard as nails," surface. 💅

On 1/24/2023 at 6:02 AM, zak99b5 said:

Sock stripes are definitley hard, especially on the figures where the lower leg is at a low angle to the platform.

Sock stripes are an agony so I don't do it anymore. I'm very much into blocks of color, like a Piet Mondrian painting. 🖼️ Helmet, Jersey, Numbers, Pants, Socks, Shoes, and Platform are all blocks to coordinate. 🎨 I tend to use black rather than white wherever possible.

That said, I love to see the incredible detail that some little plastic players are molded with. And I love the grass stains, blood stains, helmet scrapes, and K-tape some artists are adding to their basic paintings.

Enjoy the Journey! T43 🏈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can count me in this group now. I started painting in 1968. I used to be a Testor's-only painter for the early years. But as I turned into an old geezer, I switched over to acrylics. I will still use Testors when needed on certain colors. I last painted in 2006, so it has been a while. Now in 2023, I'm coming "out of retirement in the hobby" as I retire in real life to get back into my favorite EF hobby! I just bought a ton of paints, paint brushes, giant magnifying glass, and got a new prescription (after 25 years, believe it or not) for my glasses now so I'm good to go. I am anxious to see if I can still do it, and if I can't, then I'll hunker down and keep at it until I return to form! 🙂 I agree with the earlier post about this being therapeutic. I've already had some healing and restoration done (from me missing my favorite hobby for too many years working too much) just by making this post and imagining how much fun it is going to be to get started again. Time for my 2nd childhood at age 63! LOL Of course, I've been "aging in reverse" for the past few years, so I see myself as 36! Works for me anyway! I better nip this post in the bud before I accidentally post an e-book up in here! 

• Like 7

OK, since I'm getting back into painting for the first time since 2006, I'll ease into it with some easy stuff. These guys are heading for skin tone changes. I decided to go with the 2003 Carolina Panthers team (their 1st Super Bowl in RL). Once the paint dries, I'll base them up and get ready to play a game (after attempting to tweak bases too, I might add). Dang it, what's with these pics turning sideways all the time? 😞 I even used the editor here and rotated it, but no...it won't let me save it. What the @#!%?!!

Panthers Heading for Skin Tone Change.jpg

Edited by GreenBayGlenn
who wants to know?
  • Like 4

On 7/27/2023 at 1:24 PM, Coach Shawn said:

I still paint my own or buy them already painted.

Luckily I have two daughters that are amazing at arts and crafts and I have managed to get several painted teams out of them.  The teams they paint are far superior to my painted teams.

It's like the old saying goes: "What are daughters for?"👨‍👧‍👦

Someday, I plan to have a few of my own, but it'll be a while till that financial reimbursement kicks in. Till then, I'll have to feed em' and take em' to gymnastics class, etc., etc.

J/K, seriously though, that's really cool Coach Shawn. It's kind of like a family ordeal.💯👍

Thanks for sharing,🫡

Brian

• Like 3

Don't know why I haven't posted earlier, but yes I do. Primarily replica and reproduction "Tudor Clascic" teams. Since I will never be able to afford the real thing, here are my "Extremely Rare" Reproduction 1969 Black Helmet Saints. Repainted Miggle 67 Big Man figures. 

DSC03457.thumb.JPG.6bc358a9f6304dc0ec5868a1f7e98c7c.JPG

DSC03458.thumb.JPG.f7424494e0073d1de484aefac51a8086.JPG

DSC03459.thumb.JPG.9f9c02a655b52592c74d02a6262453f1.JPG

DSC03460.thumb.JPG.23c239574ac77ef8a466816fcd6be255.JPG

DSC03461.thumb.JPG.944fc99d62d01a433d9874c9b1e0b528.JPG

DSC03462.thumb.JPG.cbe9c7af85cb3ea8b7ebbeef89c6f376.JPG

DSC03463.thumb.JPG.92a128dacc11c8846c1a5ffa9e37ceab.JPG

Edited by nefgm.org
  • Like 6

Well , here I am, the weird poor relation. Y’all know me, I do Uni-Forms and have loved them from the start. I have absolutely zero aptitude at painting. Zero. I gladly buy custom paints when I can with the PAC12 figures. I admire the posts where the talented guys show their teams off. This hobby has a niche for just about everyone.

Lord knows if Tudor goes away tomorrow, I have enough for the rest of my days, but where’s the fun in that? 
Life’s good.

Journey On!

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Daryl Collins said:

This hobby has a niche for just about everyone.

Lord knows if Tudor goes away tomorrow, I have enough for the rest of my days, but where’s the fun in that? 
Life’s good.

Agreed!! Fortunately, i have a stockpile of figures to paint to keep me busy for a long time. Unfortunately, my eyesight is failing, and I will be having cataract surgery very soon to hopefully correct that so that I can keep on painting my own team and figures. 

If not, that is OK too, since I enjoy the collecting, trading, buying, selling and solitaire game playing "niches" of the game and hobby. And of course, there is that "museum" thing that I am trying to build. 

YES, Life is Good!! Enjoy while you are still able, in whatever capacity you able to.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For Christmas son #2 bought me a Mean 13 set. Painting them as I type. Finished the skin tones and the platforms. 

I am going to make them the Wolverines. Hope the helmets do justice to the originals. 

No sock or sleeve stripes on the uniform makes them a little easier.  And I already have yellow uni numbers from Bnutt.

I use Testors paint. Flows and covers well, dries fast. I like the gloss look, just like original Tudor figs. 

IMG_0847.jpeg

• Like 5