So, umm... how many plays per half / game do you run?

Simes549

I realized recently, watching some Beenut games on Y.T., that my games might be considered marathons. I do tend to play one or two drives at a time more often than not and I do the nerd thing of tracking each play. Rarely do I seem to have time to play a whole half, but again my guess is my game lengths need to shrink.

So how many plays per half do you run in your solitaire games / leagues? Do you include Kick offs and extra point kicks as plays?

Or do you use a clock? 

• Like 1

I am way out of the norm here.  I use 30 plays per quarter, counting kickoffs (if returned), field goals, and punts, but not extra points or 2 point conversions. Also to simulate clock stoppages, I don't count plays against the play count where the ball carrier goes out of bounds, incomplete passes, or plays immediately before a time out is called (3 per half).  As I've said in other threads, it takes about 3-4 weeks to complete a game. Since I now play a 16 game season with 16 teams, it takes me about 10 years to complete a season.  I've been playing for 55 years and am currently about 1/3 through my 7th season (my earliest seasons had only 5 or 8 teams and only 14 games, so the seasons went quicker).  I also track each play recording statistics for all the players (yards gained, receptions, completions, tackles, assists, sacks, passes defensed, etc.)  I keep records for all my players throughout each season and keep career statistics as well. Guess you could say I'm either very statistics oriented, a super nerd, or just plain crazy. 😊

• Like 3

We use 8 plays per quarter for our games.  Even with this low number, one of the guys in the league can make a game last over 2 hours--even 3.  But this is more of a beer league anyway, and we enjoy ourselves.  We do not want to use play clocks.

All football plays that are timed in a real game count.

OT is 12 plays total, using the current "sudden" death system that the NFL uses.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty cool that you keep all the stats. I don't have the patience or attention span for that. I use 8 plays per quarter but don't count plays involving special teams. Not sure where I got the 8 plays from. Could be from the original rules or could be from my buddies league from 40 years ago. It takes me about 2 hours to complete a game.

Rick, what teams do you have in your league, and what is the structure, ie: Conference/division?  Do you play a Super Bowl?

• Like 1

Bob, I have 2 conferences with 2 divisions in each.  The current alignment is as follows:

NFC East - Baltimore Colts (I didn't let them move to Indianapolis), New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Football Team (although I still use the Redskins 😊)

NFC Central - Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Cardinals (Didn't let them move to Arizona either)

AFC Central - Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Houston Oilers (Didn't let them move to Tennessee either), Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West - Los Angeles Rams (didn't let them move to St. Louis, Oakland Raiders (same deal no LA or Vegas for them), San Francisco 49ers, San Diego Chargers.

Kind of a geographical set up which morphed from some of my earlier configurations.  I like this one though. Division winners and one team with the best remaining record from each conference make the playoffs.  Best record in each conference gets a bye for the first playoff round and plays the winner of the first round for the conference championship.  Then I play the Super Bowl with the conference winners.  After the Super Bowl, I select "All Pro" players and Pro Bowlers, using the statistics compiled during the season.  Then I play the Pro Bowl.  That's the end of my season.  In the offseason, I determine rosters and  re-rank players, re-race bases and assign players to bases, and prepare my excel spreadsheets for each team for the next season.

I use a clock to time the games. 15 minutes per quarter. I basically use NFL game timing rules. I do stop the clock  between plays while I separate the teams, and then start it again when I place the offensive center at the spot of the ball. I can generally set up the offense within 40-45 seconds. I then stop the clock again while I set up the defense. I then allow the clock to run while I am executing the play. It generally takes 45 minutes to an hour to complete a Quarter, but I also keep a play-by-play log. I usually play a game over two days, in one hour to two hour intervals. 

There is no "Magic Formula" for how long it takes to play a game. Or even how you play it. Everyone has there own individual styles and ways to play. The main thing is to find a formula that works for you and that gives you the most satisfaction from playing the game.

"Just have fun and play the game!!"  

• Like 2

This is the score sheet we use. 

Fill out down, distance, and yard line for the play (at conclusion of previous play).

Run or Pass when offensive coach makes his decision at the snap.

Who carried the ball for however many yards.

Make any notes (FG attempt, sack, TD, &c.)

Fill out next down, distance, and yard line.

Rinse and repeat.

It makes it easy to keep track.  We use two different color pens, one for each team, when they have the ball.

SCORE SHEET.xlsx.pdf

• Like 1

Bob, Yeah I'm big on keeping the teams in their original cities. I didn't have any Super Bowls my first two seasons, as I only had 5 teams in my league.  My 4 Super Bowls were as follows:

Eagles vs. Packers (Eagles won)

Cowboys vs. 49ers (49ers won)

Steelers vs Packers (Packers won)

Rematch of Steelers vs Packers (Packers won again (Mel Blount was out hurt and Lofton, Dale, and Sharpe ate up Dwayne Woodruff))

BTW, I agree with nefgm, there is no right way or wrong way to play.  It is whatever floats your boat and makes it fun for you.  

Edited by RickLM30
  • Like 3

I use the NFL rules similar to nefgm above. I use 15 minute quarters. I stop the clock after every play and have a 40 second run off for offensive and defensive setup. I don’t use the run off time after scores, OB, incomplete passes, or change of possession. I can get anywhere from 12 to 18 plays per quarter. And the playing time is similar to nefgm above. Approximately hour per quarter. 

• Like 3

I play 17 plays in first and third quarter, 18 int 2nd and 4th. I found I get realistic scores for games doing this. I keep stats. I will add my score sheet later today. I have all teams in home and away uniforms and I have just started the first season for Super Bowl 1.