Utilizing a Tight End

NO Dave

I love running the Ace (2 TE set), whether I'm playing with College or Pro teams. But I have noticed that coaches divide into two groups -

1. Those who use the TE as an extra blocker

2. Those who use the TE as a receiver 

Then there are those who don't quite know what to do with them. 

How do you use your tight end?  

• Like 1

I would say both. I always have two tight ends for each play. I do this to make the defense put their outside blitz players as far out as possible.

I also make my tight ends stronger than my wide receiver players, so that they can have some push (block) on my run plays. 

• Like 1

Typically, I run the good ol' Wingbone formation.  So I use flanker/wingbacks in lieu of TE's.  But sometimes, I run variations with only a single wingback.  In those cases, I will either run a TE opposite to show run to that side (and to help with blocking if I DO option to that side) or I put the TE in the slot.  I have never run a double TE formation, but I like the idea of turning the TE to pick up outside LB/DE pressure.  It is this very reason why I will sometimes put TTC dial bases on my Tackles.  They sometimes need greater lateral speed to pick up the edge rushers. (One could call them Counter Loopers!) 😁

• Like 4

My offenses generally run out of a two back, flanker, split end, tight end alignment (pro set, I, balanced or strong T formation).  As such there is always 1 tight end on the field during runs or passes, unless it is a long yardage situation, where I bring in an extra wide receiver in place of a back, or two extra wide receivers for a back and the tight end.  I'm old school and like to have a tight end on the field in most situations to keep the defense guessing.  (Since I play solitaire, I guess the defense isn't guessing much. 😊) My tight ends are pretty effective in both situations, especially if the defense tries to cover them with a linebacker or when finding holes in zones.  Also, my league has had some pretty good tight ends, Jerry Smith, John Mackey, Pete Retzlaff, Mike Ditka, Jackie Smith to name a few.

• Like 3

I like to use two tight ends in certain passing situations. We play that if a man isn’t on the line, he has to be 5 yards off. That extra distance makes it harder to cover them (defense also lines up 1 yard off the LOS).  Depending on the look of the defense, I’ll have options. 

• Like 2

I admit that I haven't played a lot of 2 player games, so perhaps this is my naivety showing, but I've generally played with 3 WRs, 2 RBs as my base, with one of the WRs kind of doubling as a TE as needed (I only have 22 figures per team plus TTQBs at this point, so I'm also having to improvise a bit).

I've found that running this package, with a wide spaced Proset/Splitbacks formation (and occasionally in the Max Protect Pistol/Shotgun, which I've dubbed "Magnum" and "Rifle"), allows me to keep in my RBs in "pocket" protection on pass plays, as well as allows me to shift one of them out as a Slot Receiver if the Defense starts to play in the box more. "Pocket" Blocking seems to kick out the Loopers easier and gives me more time and room to angle the blockers, whereas two TEs tend to be engaged way quicker and therefore I'm stuck with whatever angle they got contacted in.

Here's a visual representation, though it's not 100% perfect. As you can see, I usually line up my RBs right at the gap between the Guards and Tackles. I also like to motion the Slot/Flank/Flexback to the other side if I'm allowed to, which sometimes lets me read the Defense but often times just serves as obfuscation. 😆

Screenshot_20201128-130220.png

Screenshot_20201128-130239.png

• Like 1

So more like Run & Gun. 

To address loopers I will set the dials of the tackles backward so they fade back in pass protection. 

A traditional tight end I use primarily as a run blocker, but they can and do get open occasionally. We use passing sticks, so they need to get into space. I find their presence (especially if two men are lined up as TEs) usually makes the defense put more men in the box. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, zak99b5 said:

So more like Run & Gun. 

To address loopers I will set the dials of the tackles backward so they fade back in pass protection. 

A traditional tight end I use primarily as a run blocker, but they can and do get open occasionally. We use passing sticks, so they need to get into space. I find their presence (especially if two men are lined up as TEs) usually makes the defense put more men in the box. 

Pretty much, I basically ripped off the 90s "Tri-I" that the Seahawks and Rams used and converted it to Proset.

I forgot to mention, I use TTC bases, so I can also do angle and swing routes with my RBs. If I was using Rookie bases, I would probably use more straight ahead TE blocking and free the RBs up for straight routes.

• Like 1