Onsides Kick?

zak99b5

How do you guys do an onsides kick attempt?  

I’m looking for a way that uses the board and players rather than dice/cards. 

I’ve been thinking lining up the two teams 20 yards apart (kicking team at their 35, receiving at their 45). Drop the ball along the 45, move it straight up/down the field to the 45 (assuming it won’t land exactly on the 45). Teams angle players, then run the board. 

The receiving team needs some sort of advantage—I’d like the results to be successful only 1 in about 4 or 5 tries, to emulate the (older) NFL results. Move receiving team a little closer?  Fewer kicking team players on the 35?  Other thoughts?

• Like 2

Your idea is actually spot on. I have seen it done that way by several others. I use my kicking cards to place the ball. Good, but not perfect. Only 5 possible placements and only to one side of the field. Another idea is the "ball on a string" used by some leagues and tournaments.  It is a ball suspended on a string, stretched across the width of the playing field that can be moved along the string at shoulder level of the figures to anywhere across the field. 

• Like 2

I agree about using dice.  I'm more of a hands on kinda guy.  (Not sure whether that's a good thing or not 😊) I do it the way the NFL does it.  Line up both teams 10 yards apart as usual (# on line depends on whether the receiving team expects it (10 spread along the line with 1 back in case the ball gets through) or not (5 on the line). Then, either try to bounce the kick back off one of the receiving team's guys (one of the few times contact doesn't result in obtaining the ball) or drop a soft kick behind the receiver front line. Without adjusting anyone, run the board for about three seconds (Note, the receiving team will fun forward, possibly bypassing the ball in some cases.), then stop and adjust everyone to go for the ball.  Whoever touches it first, recovers it.  When trying to bounce it off the receiving team, sometimes the ball bounces back to the kicking team, sometimes it gets tangled up in the receiving guys legs, or doesn't bounce off very far, and sometimes I miss the front line and it goes deeper down the field. Trying to drop it behind the front line is trickier as I kick it very high, so it will drop behind them.  Anyway, bottom line is sometimes the onside kicks work, but often they do not (maybe just because I suck at kicking😊),  I've been doing it this way for a long time and it has worked for me. 

• Like 1

I have used a TTQB kicker to try to richocet the ball off a receiving team player. But like you say, often times miss and goes all the way back to the end of the gameboard or completely off the game board. Then I wind up loosing the ball and spending the next 30 minutes, in the floor trying to find it. 😆 🤣 LOL!! Have gotten too old for that.  

• Like 3

I've been interested in this topic too! Since we're cracking plastic, and not skulls, we could theoretically use the old skool rulz, like 10-on-one-side, kickoff taken at the 30, natural dirt mound kicking tees....ok maybe not THAT old. 😆

In all seriousness, depending on the size and material of the board, one option I'm kicking around (no pun intended) for onsides is to simply point the kicking figure down and drill the ball into the field and then place a magnetic ball wherever it makes first bounce. That's more or less what actual Kickers do in real life....or at least what my coach taught me to do in High School. 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

I have used a TTQB kicker to try to richocet the ball off a receiving team player. But like you say, often times miss and goes all the way back to the end of the gameboard or completely off the game board. Then I wind up loosing the ball and spending the next 30 minutes, in the floor trying to find it. 😆 🤣 LOL!! Have gotten too old for that.  

I had that problem too, until I started laying the football flat with the tee and angling the TTQB down.  Also, I now use the Saturn ball which seem to work better for kicks.  I don't worry too much if I miss the receiving team, because I always leave one guy back deep.  In addition, I used to always play in a room with a dark rug, so I didn't have a problem finding the balls if they went off the board.  Now, however, I am playing in my spousal unit's sewing room with a beige rug, so it is a little difficult at times to find the ball if it goes off the board - seems to be more of a problem with my errant chicken-wijng passing than kicking! 😊 May have to go to using only dark footballs for passing, as I am also too old to be crawling around on the floor looking for them! 🤣

• Like 2

If played by TOEPRO Football:

Align the ball such that the foot ricochet off it and tumbles forward.  

Another way is to place your finger on the top of the kicking leg tab on the right side of the TTQB to provide resistance to the speed of the leg when activated. 
😉

299E42C2-4C30-4998-BDC2-EE0996700FCC.thumb.jpeg.b04f766c9ac8cd0f632a5a85244bad03.jpegThen turn the board on for one second. 

See, you don’t have to change what Tudor Games gives you to achieve football, on an electric field. 
👍🏾

• Like 2

Kit, I really, deep down, am a strong supporter of using the TTQB as it was designed, without modification and developing the skills necessary to perform all passing and kicking functions with it as it is. But I also realize that as a historian of the game, it is necessary to recognize and accredit the many innovations that others have created to improve the quality of the game and how it is played. You and your TOEPRO system are one of those innovations that have truly changed and improved the game and for the better. Keep on doing what you do.    

• Like 2

I use a simple method. I line up the kicking team at the 30 and the return team at the 50. Then I place a football at the 40 on either the left or right hash mark. I turn all the players towards the ball then turn the board on. The first player to touch the ball recovers it. In the event of a tie then the ball goes to the receiving team. I found this works best on a big (2x4) board. If playing on a 620 field then I set the teams 15 yards from the ball at the 25 and opposing team’s 45 to give them more room to run. It has been working for me in my solitaire seasons. 

• Like 4