Planet Team Colors

Paul Kian

Good day, fellow Coaches and Forumites!

In my previous post, I explained that I was going to make a team based on the 8 extraterrestrial Planets - Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto. I decided to make these teams with some Mean 13s, which of course means I will have to paint them.

Therefore, I am writing this post to get your suggestions for color schemes, mascot ideas, etc. Since they're going to be aliens, I'm also going to paint their skin tones in "alien" colors like blue, green, gray, etc so if you have any ideas for that I am also interested.

Thanks for reading!

-PK

• Like 3

And just for the record, the difference in the two Leagues is that these guys are going to be my Passing Sticks and Dice League, so I won't be using TTQBs/Kickers. I'm also going to iron-man them, both to save money and to cut down on base tweaks- I MAY sneak a Fab 5 player in there to make an even 14 players per team (I play 7 figures per side). 😁

• Like 2

Since they're kind of sci-fi-esque, I would say playing on Pluto would be the ultimate in frozen tundra. Look at some metallic colors and maybe a fluorescent or two. Refer to the Fantasy Teams page for some ideas (Al has some great color combos). 

Also, don't be afraid to add a little modeling clay and create things like antennae, tails, ears, you name it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NO Dave said:

Since they're kind of sci-fi-esque, I would say playing on Pluto would be the ultimate in frozen tundra. Look at some metallic colors and maybe a fluorescent or two. Refer to the Fantasy Teams page for some ideas (Al has some great color combos). 

Also, don't be afraid to add a little modeling clay and create things like antennae, tails, ears, you name it. 

Great idea! I will snag some "Green Stuff" and maybe watch a couple Star Wars/Star Trek movies for ideas. 😆

• Like 2

I think it’s a great idea Paul. Being a fantasy football league fan and also having a great interest in astronomy, this would be my choice for colors.  

Mercury - The obvious choice is silver (like the element mercury), with perhaps a black trim similar to the Raiders. Mercury has no atmosphere and from what I’ve seen, not much color other than silver/gray and black. For the helmet I would use some wings on the side ala the god Mercury.

Venus - Venus is an orangey/tan color, so I would go with that. The jersey would be a creamy orange, like a creamsicle, with a light yellowish/tan pants and white trims for the home team. For away,  switch the jersey and pants colors. On the helmet use a volcano.

Mars - They call Mars the red planet. From my telescope, Mars was red, but it was a dull red. It also has a thin, light blue atmosphere. I would go with a rusty red jersey and a light blue pants (sky blue like the Oilers) for the home and white jersey with rusty red pants.  I did a Martians team and I used a flying saucer on the helmet. Maybe use a War of the Worlds tripod machine instead?

Jupiter - If you ever looked through a scope at Jupiter, it is a white and blue planet with light brown stripes. So my choice would be a sapphire blue jersey with white pants and brown stripes with a dingy white helmet with a giant dark red spot on it. Switch the pants and jersey colors for away uniforms. 

Saturn - Saturn is a really dark yellow (sulfur) planet.  The rings are brown and black. Maybe a dark brown jersey with sulfur pants for home, then sulfur jersey with black pants for away. For the helmet, make it sulfur yellow and use some milliput to make a ring around it painting it brown with black stripe in the middle to make it look looked a separation of the ring. But the ring has to be slanted. I remember being shocked how slanted Saturn was the first time I looked at it through a scope. Maybe 40 degrees or so. 

Uranus - This is a pretty planet, kind of a light blue/green. So go with teal jersey with a light green (minty green) pants for home, a very light, light green jersey with teal pants for away. You could go with the obvious puckered hole on the side of the helmet  😁, or maybe a large U with ranus in smaller print trailing off.

Neptune - The God of the oceans planet is a blue and green giant.  Maybe an ocean green jersey with blue pants for home and white jersey with blue pants for away.  Ocean green helmet with a Trident on the side

Pluto - You could play it safe and go with a planet matching gray-blue-yellow-brown scheme, or go a different direction with a solid yellow/orange jersey with yellow pants with black trim for home and a white jersey with yellow/orange pants and black trim away uniforms with a white helmet and the figure of Disney’s Pluto the dog on the side.

Just my 2 cents.......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Al, these are all AWESOME suggestions! I'm going to see what paints I already have and make a note of any I would need to order, but you and Dave have given me a lot of good ideas to ponder. Dave's Tails and your Saturn Rings are especially inspiring. 😆

Instead of facemasks, I'm thinking about making face shields like an astronaut- I mean they'll be playing on each other's planets and all. 😁 I'm not 100% sure how to go about doing that properly- I was going to try an epoxy but I'm worried it won't dry clearly and/or will make them a real pain to work on later should I decide to redesign or repurpose them. However, I also don't think I will be able to find any plastic that I could size to the right size either. Decisions, decisions. 🤔

For the logos, I was thinking about simply using the astrological symbols (i.e. the Circle and Spear for Mars, the "Hand Mirror" for Venus, etc) like the ones in the attached picture I got from Wikipedia. I also am fascinated by Greek/Roman mythology, so I might put the appropriate God/Goddess on the Jersey in homage (if I can draw or find a decent pic somehow).

Thanks again guys!

Screenshot_20200911-212612.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ravenna Al said:

I think it’s a great idea Paul. Being a fantasy football league fan and also having a great interest in astronomy, this would be my choice for colors.  

Mercury - The obvious choice is silver (like the element mercury), with perhaps a black trim similar to the Raiders. Mercury has no atmosphere and from what I’ve seen, not much color other than silver/gray and black. For the helmet I would use some wings on the side ala the god Mercury.

Venus - Venus is an orangey/tan color, so I would go with that. The jersey would be a creamy orange, like a creamsicle, with a light yellowish/tan pants and white trims for the home team. For away,  switch the jersey and pants colors. On the helmet use a volcano.

Mars - They call Mars the red planet. From my telescope, Mars was red, but it was a dull red. It also has a thin, light blue atmosphere. I would go with a rusty red jersey and a light blue pants (sky blue like the Oilers) for the home and white jersey with rusty red pants.  I did a Martians team and I used a flying saucer on the helmet. Maybe use a War of the Worlds tripod machine instead?

Jupiter - If you ever looked through a scope at Jupiter, it is a white and blue planet with light brown stripes. So my choice would be a sapphire blue jersey with white pants and brown stripes with a dingy white helmet with a giant dark red spot on it. Switch the pants and jersey colors for away uniforms. 

Saturn - Saturn is a really dark yellow (sulfur) planet.  The rings are brown and black. Maybe a dark brown jersey with sulfur pants for home, then sulfur jersey with black pants for away. For the helmet, make it sulfur yellow and use some milliput to make a ring around it painting it brown with black stripe in the middle to make it look looked a separation of the ring. But the ring has to be slanted. I remember being shocked how slanted Saturn was the first time I looked at it through a scope. Maybe 40 degrees or so. 

Uranus - This is a pretty planet, kind of a light blue/green. So go with teal jersey with a light green (minty green) pants for home, a very light, light green jersey with teal pants for away. You could go with the obvious puckered hole on the side of the helmet  😁, or maybe a large U with ranus in smaller print trailing off.

Neptune - The God of the oceans planet is a blue and green giant.  Maybe an ocean green jersey with blue pants for home and white jersey with blue pants for away.  Ocean green helmet with a Trident on the side

Pluto - You could play it safe and go with a planet matching gray-blue-yellow-brown scheme, or go a different direction with a solid yellow/orange jersey with yellow pants with black trim for home and a white jersey with yellow/orange pants and black trim away uniforms with a white helmet and the figure of Disney’s Pluto the dog on the side.

Just my 2 cents.......

From the master of fantasy teams!!!

• Like 3

Thanks guys, but every 'master' had his 'master' at some point. I got my inspiration from Glen Hardaway. aka Green Bay Glen. He was posting on the old Miggle board about his fantasy league, the Unreal League. I read about them and realized that I could make up my own teams. His were more mainstream, more like real teams would be if they were in some other city. I was thinking of a bigfoot team, with a large foot on the helmet, when Doc Smeby wrote that he only uses big man teams and someone else said those guys would be over 7 feet tall compared to regular Miggle figures. Bingo! that gave me the idea to make a team of actual bigfoots (Sasquatch) and the rest followed from there. I just took the ball and ran with it so to speak. I'm glad that others have also taken up offbeat teams. I love them all!

• Like 6

To quote Ed McMahon ..."You are correct, sir!" I played a game against his Swamp Moose with my Sasquatch when we got together in Detroit at the Miggle convention. What a blast. We were up until about 2 in the morning playing. He also made the Hawaiian Fire Lizards. I kept teasing him to finish the team so I could see them all. About a month after the convention I got a box in the mail. I thought it was a T-shirt as I bugged him to send me one with his teams on it. Instead, he gave me the Lizards. They are one of my most prized possessions, not to mention how gorgeous they are. Glen surprised me, I didn't know that he was such a good painter. Alas, he has disappeared from the electric football world. If you want to know more about Glen's league, check out the 3rd issue of the Tweak  at the bottom of the page here : https://www.playef.com/  For a lowdown on the Swamp Moose - Sasquatch game, look for the 4th issue and the Motor City Beatdown.

• Like 4

...and suddenly, out of nowhere, the SwampMoose is back! Great post! How's this for a fast response....hmmm, only took 3 years! Yikes! I can't imagine that! I'm reading all your posts as I play catch-up here. Yes, I met Jesus who rose me from the dead and I'm back full force into this hobby again! Got way to serious with the working life for too many years, then raised a pair of grandkids, etc. Enough of the excuses already! I'm here now and that's what counts. Got any pics from that convention? I'm still plowing through thumb drives and such trying to find my own, but no luck so far. I'm trying to piece together my UNREAL SOLITAIRE EFL again and any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any chance I emailed you a list of all my teams? I got up to 50 at one point. I may never finish painting that many teams in this lifetime, but I'm going to give it a try. I better quit typing now so I can go read all your posts! 🙂

• Like 4

Welcome back GreenBayGlenn. I remember reading your posts, Ravenna Al's posts, and Paul Kian's posts, but I only joined the Forum recently. The Posts were very inspirational! Here are my current teams:

🚀 Space-inspired teams: the Suncats, the Sirens of Titan, the Luna Bears, the Arctic Vortex, and the Meteor,

🦏 Animal-inspired teams:  the Red Rhinos, the Oughtin' Otters, the Blue Jays, the Golden Grizzlies, and the Big Horn Rams.

🧜‍♀️ Mythology-inspired teams: the Knights in White Satin, the Christmas Spirit, the Shamrock Bay, the Valkyries, the Angels of Avalon, the Quick and the Dead, and the Norsemen.

🏎️ Car-inspired teams:  Iron Horse, the GTO, and the Thunderbirds.

I'm planning for my next season to be called the Hunger Games and the teams will be from the 12 districts.

Enjoy the Journey Terry43 🏈♾️

• Like 4

I have wondered about your teams, Coach T. I look forward to your game posts and graphics! This whole reemergence of GreenBayGlenn is very intriguing. Welcome back Coach Glenn! I myself, have had sabbaticals. Uni-forms and the Forum got me back in the game. Encouragement from and posts by all the coaches have sparked my interest and enjoyment of this hobby like never before! Again, welcome back Coach Glenn!

• Like 3

Alrighty then! Good to see this chat board is actually working! I responded to some really old posts and wondered if everyone was still here. Terry, that Knights in White Satin is an all time forever EXCELLENT name for a team! I love it! That one blew me away. I can just hear that song blasting at the start of every game as the team buzzes onto the field!  And, yes, nefgm.org (still trying to guess your real name here) I have seen that National Electric Football Game Museum and that is also off the charts GREAT! I will keep looking at that often just like I used to stare at the Tudor Rule book at those color 67 Big Man team uniforms. I think that is still the best group picture of EF teams ever taken! I wish there was a way to make a big quality print of that and frame it and put it on my wall here! I'm in the process of remodeling my garage to make space for EF play, storage etc. while at the same time installing a big screen TV, new frig, workout equipment, massage chair (yes, I'm now "well stricken in years" as King James would say, and a play area for my twin grandkids (now 10 years old and at a critical age to implant electric football  ideas into their newly connecting neurons!). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome back as well Daryl! I'm your "other brother Darrell" (Bob Newhart reference), as my first name is Darrell! I've never used it except on taxes and Driver's licenses. I've gone by Glenn my entire life. My father's name was Darrell, so I guess Glenn helped avoid confusion when mom would yell at Darrell on the home front! LOL 

I had my entire collection of stories, stats, photos, etc. (never put all your eggs in one basket they say) all loaded on the Homestead.com (do it yourself website and hosting service) website which got bought out by Intuit. All my EF sites were wiped out. 😞  This caused great trauma and was one of the hardest losses I've ever endured in life. I'm still traumatized to this day. Nevermind the countless hours that went into building those sites, but the resources I lost are irreparable. Included in that was my entire list of UNREAL SOLITAIRE ELECTRIC FOOTBALL LEAGUE teams. Fortunately, I printed out a few pages off the Internet years ago and I've recovered 30 of the 50 teams I created! If anyone remembers any team not on this list, please let me know. I'll post the list here next. 

UNREAL SOLITAIRE ELECTRIC FOOTBALL LEAGUE   founded April 2004 (this is what happens when genetic engineering goes awry!) 51 teams*

1. Baton Rouge Swamp Moose (the team that got all this fake/fantasy stuff started for me!)

2. Munich Moon Sharks (the most famous team since they were featured on the Miggle website and actually sold along with Ravenna Al's Union Jacks) In fact, I believe both these teams are still available through Tudor Games!

3. Hawaiian Fire Lizards (given to Ravenna Al sometime at, before or after the infamous "Motor City Beatdown" at the Detroit Convention. BTW, I cannot find a single photograph of this team. Can you snap a quick shot and send it to me Al? Thanks. I'm going to try to repaint this team so I can have one in my own collection! Of course, this is over a decade or more later and I'll see if I can see well enough to pull this off. They were a challenge even during the peak of my painting/detailing life years ago! 

4. Shanghai Shock Monkeys

5. Swedish Space Vipers

6. Iceland Ice Ants

7. Los Angeles Air Scorps (short for Scorpions)

8. Miami Sea Gremlins

9. Rocky Mountain Land Whales

10. Cayman Island Reef Rhinos

11. Rio Hippopossums

12. Dakota Squealin' Octoclams 

13. Pacific Island Porcupusses 

14. Blue Ridge Brogs (hybrid mix between a Bear and a frog)

15. Boston Bullcrabs

16. Montana DinoBuffs

17. Tasmanian Geckdevils

18. Congo Kangadillos

19. Austrian Saber-Toothed Kualaflies

20. Nagasaki NinjaFish

21. Down Under Thunder Penguins

22. Mississippi River Boars

23. San Diego Scorching Sand Squid

24. Wyoming Skelk (Sky Elk)

25. Scotland SkunkDogs

26. Siberian SlackJaws (distant cousin to the Sasquatch!)

27. Alaska Snow Crabs

28. Barcelona Steaming Beavers

29. New York Tarantucats

30. Texas TigerBats

31. Midway Mobsters * (this team just seems like it doesn't fit and many argue they should be removed from the league, myself included. Who are the many (why those stray thoughts inside my own head, of course! LOL ) 

Teams 31 through 50 are still missing and I continue to rack my brain and perform serious forensic research to try to dig them up.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenBayGlenn said:

24. Wyoming Skelk (Sky Elk)

I live in Wyoming so I have first dibs on the Sky Elks. I just created a Wyoming team, the Jackson Jackalopes, but they haven't played yet.

Enjoy the Journey T43 🏈♾️

Awesome Glenn!! 

Real name: Chris LeMay aka eflfanatic on the chat boards for a long time. 

Started the Museum when I retired 4 years ago. 

I remember your website well. Spent many hours reading about your leagues and all the great information there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Awesome Glenn!! 

Real name: Chris LeMay aka eflfanatic on the chat boards for a long time. 

Started the Museum when I retired 4 years ago. 

I remember your website well. Spent many hours reading about your leagues and all the great information there.

Chris, if you had enrolled in those Evelyn Wood speed reading courses you could have finished his site in no time 😁

• Like 2