Decal Question

Hey Zak, thanks for the Solv-a-set tip! I used that in the past myself with decals and I had forgotten about it until I saw your post! Now I have to go back to Amazon and order that stuff to add to my collection as I get ramped up to start painting and decaling again. Speaking of decals, I'll still buy mine from the experts in the hobby, but I also want to learn how to do them myself. What do I need to pull that off? If anyone can tell me what kind of software, printer, paper, etc. I need I would greatly appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Hey Glenn. Long time no see. If you still have your Tweak magazines, look for issue #6. I did an article on how to make decals that has worked well for me. I hope it still applies, as the technology has changed quite a bit since then. If you don’t have your copy any more, you can find the old issues here :  https://nefgm.org/the-nefgm-library/the-tweak/

Oh, and WECOME BACK !!!!!!

• Like 3

I just read the article by Al Dunham's Wife in Tweak. Both articles are very funny. Thanks for the link.

I use Sunnyscopa Waterslide Decal Paper for INKJET Printers - WHITE. CLEAR is available but I only use white and I match the jersey color for the perimeter. No need for underpainting as is illustrated with the yellow paint in Tweak

After I've sealed the decal I sometimes use an ultra fine Sharpie to improve the saturation.

100_0872.thumb.png.44cbe28574aab7d6e4d885654229ed2f.png

Enjoy the Journey. Terry43 🏈♾️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GreenBayGlenn said:

thanks Terry. Now how do you make the decals themselves?

Hi GreenBay Glen. I was living in Waukesha when Brett Favre and Green Bay won SuperBowl XXXI 😃 and lost Super Bowl XXXII 😪

The software I use is Photoshop and my computer is an iMAC. My printer is an inkjet Epson ET 15000.

Enjoy the Journey T43 🏈♾️

• Like 1

Thanks Terry. I really remember those back to back Super Bowls in great detail. I wanted the Packers to do another back to back Super Bowl win but no! 😞 I went to Super Bowl XLV in Dallas in 2011 when the Packers beat the Steelers 31-25. My printer is an HP Officejet Pro 6960. I have a regular "Winders" computer, not a Mac. I think I have Photoshop on it, but I've never used it. If not I'll get it. I guess early on, my work may suck a lot until I get used to it. Maybe I should create another UNREAL team called the Guinea Pigs or Lab Rats where I can get away with messing up a lot and claim that is just part of their uniform! LOL 

Edited by GreenBayGlenn
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, GreenBayGlenn said:

I guess early on, my work may suck a lot until I get used to it.

With the hardware and software you have I doubt you'll mess up much. 🤞

Don't forget to fix the waterslide paper after you print. That's the step I usually forget because I'm so anxious to start applying the decals.

• Like 1

Speaking of decals, I'll need a whole different kind of decal for my Swamp Moose mini helmet I'm making! These would be the same decals the NFL actually uses (as far as the material goes). Anyone know how I can get a decal made for a mini-helmet? These are definitly NOT waterslide decals! 

SwampMoose Mini-helmet.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenBayGlenn said:

Anyone know how I can get a decal made for a mini-helmet?

I read that you don't wish to use waterslide decals for your helmets.

I use the Sunnyscopa white waterslide and I believe I've had good results.

100_1005.thumb.png.b8b9cec9428d4d673dc937f9f42c0849.png

For me the the key is to cover the edges with fingernail polish. For example on the Sirens of Titan helmet I used gold fingernail polish.

100_1006.thumb.png.31c1f2a876e8b211f147a6c70a3617ee.png

The Christmas Spirit white fingernail polish.

100_1007.thumb.png.f86eb32dc8209b0382e18debe373baaa.png

The Suncats helmet is one waterslide on top of another with a clear coat of polish.

100_1008.thumb.png.0ed232c79decc5d767111c4ed5a773f1.png 

Nail professionals use waterslide decals to attain the crazy variety we see today. Waterslides adhere nicely to fingernail polish.

• Like 1