How do you play Overtime?

Curt

Ladies and Gentledudes, 
Hope you all are doing well. It has been a long time but my Arizona Cardinals and my San Diego Chargers, in a grueling match that traded leads a couple of times, finally went into a 26-26 overtime. I never liked the way the NFL conducts its overtime rules, so I made my own. A coin toss of heads awards the ball to the home team and tails to the visitors. There are no exceptions to that. A stopwatch times my games.
Each team gets one drive. If still tied no matter the score [or no score], the overtime "quarter" continues with a 2-minute warning and each team having 3 timeouts until the quarter expires. Post-season games continue with overtime as needed until there is a determined winner. For this game, San Diego received first. On their 3rd play, they threw an interception, thus ending their "first drive" and so Arizona commenced with their first drive. They only needed a field goal to win but ended up scoring a touchdown for a 32-26 victory.
Now let's say for argument's sake, San Diego would have been able to at least score a field goal. Arizona would then have needed a touchdown to win. If they would have only been able score a field goal themselves, then the game would have continued until time ran out for a tie or whoever would have been able to put up some type of other score first themselves would have won. Does that make sense? So, I'm curious. How do you play overtime with your leagues? If this topic has been visited before, please forgive my failing memory and apologies for wasting anyone's time. Blessings to all, 🙂
Curt

• Like 3

Great subject! My overtime is another quarter, (8 plays long). The coin toss is called by the home team. The team that is ahead after the "5th quarter" wins the game. If a regular season game is still tied after the overtime quarter, then the game ends in a tie. If a playoff game is still tied, then another quarter is played and so on until a winner is determined. Fun fact: My league's season 12 Conference Championship Games both went into multiple overtimes! The Colts beat the Giants in triple OT, and the Rams beat the Falcons in double OT. 

• Like 4

I ask my wife to pick a team, 🥰 then she calls heads or tails for that team, and then I flip the coin 🪙. I turn the clock off  and play until one team scores.

Sort of like old NFL :NFL:  overtime rules.

Enjoy the Journey   T43  🏈♾️

• Like 5

In my league each team gets one play to score a td from the 20 (red zone). If they don’t get a Td they can still kick a fg. If the first team up scores a td then they must take the xtra pt, and if the second team up scores a td they have to go for 2 unless the first team missed their xpt (trying to avoid mult overtime’s). Of course I will still have mult OTs  if both teams get a fg or if neither team scores anything.

Edited by Carl
  • Like 4

I use the NFL scenario.  I’ve tweaked the playoff rule, since both teams get a possession no matter if the receiving team scores a TD on first drive.  That new NFL rule cause a couple of bizarre playoff games.  I tweaked it by adding 2/3 the time for the OT period.  Hopefully, this will change the strategy I use.  

I was going for 2 every possession in OT, since the 2 point conversion was from the 2. I’ve backed it up to the 8 this year, so maybe that will help as well.

• Like 2

We have 8-play quarters in our games. 

If we go to OT, there's a 12-play quarter added. We use the "normal" NFL rules; in order for a FG to win, both teams have to possessed the ball. TD does not require that. 

I never understood the "both teams MUST possess the ball in all cases" update to the rule. Though I didn't like it when Cincy knocked the Bills out with that TD drive, I don't see it as "more fair" if the Bills had a possession. 

To illustrate, let's say the Bills did get the ball and answer with a TD, tying the OT period (just like they were tied at the end of regulation). Guess what--Cincy gets the ball, scores a TD, and now game is over. Same situation, really. 

• Like 3