Setting up pass patterns

Greg F

3 hours ago, Greg F said:

I’ve always just lined them up and seen who got off their defender.

I still do it that way. 🤪

Coach Shawn uses Passing Sticks and from the Passing Stick description I believe a coach needs to set up pass patterns.  T43

• Like 3

We use passing sticks, too.  In some rule sets you just place the ball in front of the intended receiver, but in ours we allow the qb to throw the ball to any open spot, away from defenders, around the receiver; that is, the receiver can pivot to catch the ball.  He can then pivot after the reception as well.

That said, we just line them up and hope they get open.  Tricky part with passing sticks is you need space to complete the pass--space on the field inbounds and space away from defenders (defense is allowed to pivot one unengaged defender for the pass attempt).

• Like 2

Anyone with tips on how to set up pass patterns?  I’ve never really done this.  I’ve always just lined them up and seen who got off their defender. we allow the qb to throw the ball to any open spot, away from defenders, around the receiver Well, I do a little of both. Poker cards determine which pass formation I use. Coach Shawn's extra pivot is applied to 1 extra home team player to make for 1 more eligible receiver. The quarterback is set a little deeper on both sides to allow for a little more time before he gets across the line of scrimmage and to give eligible receivers time to get off their defenders. However, I also waive nefgm.org's electric slide to the home team if their qb slides across the line of scrimmage prior to the pass if that makes sense. I only use Triple Threat Quarterbacks. I do not use passing sticks. Any player hit by the football is now the ball carrier and may continue until tackled, out of bounds or scores. If the ball hits the board within bounds but no players, any players within 10 yards of the ball may be turned to it and the first player to the ball becomes the ball carrier and may continue until tackled, out of bounds or scores. Otherwise, it is ruled incomplete. If it is unclear who gets to a ball first, home team takes possession at that spot. Hope this helps but it is really up to what works best for you. Good Luck and Blessings, Curt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. Passing is a moral dilemma for me. There's a lot about the passing game I don't enjoy. About 20 years ago I asked myself, What are my values concerning the pass? 

Positives                                                                    Negatives

I love the long bomb above all else. 😇                  I dislike incompletions (yawn) 💤

I like interceptions 😁                                              I dislike short passes. i.e. 5 yard button hooks, back shoulder, etc.  (yawn) 💤

I love Pick Sixes 🥰 

I like man-on-man defense 🥰                              I dislike zone defenses especially the Prevent defense and the Tampa Two. (yawn) 💤 

I love the Bump part of Bump and Run 😇

I like swing passes. 😄

I like screen passes. 🥰

My original lists of Positives / Negatives were longer.

Out of that self reflection I decided to always have man-on-man defenses. So I draft for corners and safeties that are the strongest/straightest players on the team. They line up on the receivers and attempt to knock the receivers into the next county.

On the other hand, I tweak wide receivers, tight ends, and backs to score a touchdown from anywhere on the field.

I decided to use dice to determine completions / incompletions / interception. But, I was seriously tempted to get rid of incompletions all together.

I strive for the perfect game where every pass play is either an offensive touchdown or a pick six. Hasn't happened yet. That's why I keep playing. 🏈

Enjoy the Journey. T43       

• Like 5

First I will say what I currently do, and then I will give some of the thoughts I have.

I do not set up my receivers with the intention of running a traditional pass route.  Basically I set the receivers up to try to get open.  Once the receiver is open we allow the target ball to be placed anywhere 360 degrees around the passer.  You then pivot the receiver to move to the target ball.  We consider this is the receiver making his pass pattern move…a cut, pivot, turn, etc.  so if the target ball is placed behind his base so he pivots to turn back to get the ball then it is a button hook or comeback pass.  We do not allow the receiver or the defenders to pivot after the catch.

So we don’t call a specific pass pattern before the play.  But I have considered the following Pass Pattern Simulation:

Unless you are using multi-stop I think running actual patterns is impractical. But perhaps you could simulate them by pre-selecting a reception area on the field.   This would be a small circle that indicates where the receiver hopes to catch, ie. Run into,  the ball target.  If you stop the board and lay down the appropriate ball placement stick and if this places target ball within the reception area, then you are good to finish the play as is.  If your target ball is outside the reception circle then you must add a length to the ball placement thus making it a harder catch (as the ball was not where the receiver anticipated it would be).

I’ve never really tested this yet.  You would have to determine how far the target ball is adjusted when the “pass is off”.

hopefully i’ve made clear what my intent is.  For those of you that stick pass it probably makes sense. 

Edited by Coach Shawn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How big you thinking this pass target zone would be?  It's an interesting idea.  If the ball isn't there, you could use the "pressure" placement sticks.

We are at kind of a crossroads when it comes to passing in our league.  Everyone is happy with how we do it, except it can take FOREVER.  We allow the coach to consider all eligible receivers, and one coach in particular is very anal about testing out all the possibilities.

I'm thinking of making the coach call out a receiver's number as he stops the board and can only consider that player.  I'd hate to have to use a stopwatch on each pass play.  It's a beer league of buddies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I believe there is a Natural Continuity to an electric football game that is 'snapped' or 'halted' when play is stopped and players are pivoted. 

On 4/24/2023 at 5:52 AM, zak99b5 said:

Everyone is happy with how we do it, except it can take FOREVER.  We allow the coach to consider all eligible receivers, and one coach in particular is very anal about testing out all the possibilities.

I agree with the Long Island Electric Football League,

On 3/31/2023 at 8:53 AM, Long island EFL said:

Natural Continuity: The Passing Game: The LIEFL is a one-stop passing league, which literally means when a coach calls for a pass play, they get one shot at it without further time delays and that is the only time the game will stop for a pass play. After a pass reception play, we don’t allow coaches to then pivot or turn players to chase the receiver after the catch because it interferes with the natural continuity of the play and we feel it takes unnecessary time away from the game with stops, and the game actually loses its excitement. That’s just our league rule and that’s all that matters. If a defender gets burned, that’s the way the play happened. Better luck next time!

I guess that is why I settled on dice.

Play stops.

The offense and defense throw their dice.

The game continues without any pivoting.

Long Island Electric Football League doesn't use dice.

I use dice because it is really quick. Offense throws a D12 (twelve-sided dice) and defense throws a D10. If the Offense throws the larger number the pass is complete. If the Defense throws the larger number the pass is intercepted. Ties are incompletions. This ratio doesn't mimic the NFL because resembling NFL football isn't one of my values. This ratio is in line with my passing values. 

Enjoy the Journey. T43 🏈

• Like 3

What would you say your completion percentage is using the dice method?

I was going to propose using a regular 6-sided die:

Within 15 yards, 1-4 complete, 5 inc, 6 INT

16-30 yards, 1-3 complete, 4-5 inc, 6 INT

31+ yards, 1-2 complete, 3-5 inc, 6 INT

In order to intercept the ball, there would need to be an unengaged defender within a certain distance of the intended receiver (thinking 2, 4, or 6 base lengths?).

It sure would speed up the game, but it seems a bit out of place or something.  EF is best with the board turned on and the men running.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zak99b5 said:

Within 15 yards, 1-4 complete, 5 inc, 6 INT

16-30 yards, 1-3 complete, 4-5 inc, 6 INT

31+ yards, 1-2 complete, 3-5 inc, 6 INT

I think these are reasonable percentages.  I think that with interceptions the defender distances you list; 2,4, and 6 bases, align well with the distances you listed above.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Terry43 said:

I love this forum! 😍 I just ordered passing sticks so I could give it a try. 😃 And then I read that some of you are considering dice for passing. 🤪

No dice for me, I love stick passing.   To me it offers a chance to “read” the defense in order to find a gap in coverage, it forces me to get better at tweaking bases, it lets me actively defend against the pass, and I have to constantly up my strategy on both offense and defense to succeed.  Adding the pressure rule on the QB adds more strategy as a good looper shortens the run time for receivers to get down field and then makes the catch harder by increasing the target ball distance from the receiver.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zak99b5 said:

If anyone can think of a way to make stick passing quicker without making it more difficult (we currently get slightly low but realistic results), I'm all ears.

Use a timer.  We use 1 minute but usually it doesn’t go that long.  The minute sounds long but it mainly stops the “I can’t decide” incidents.      

You could also make a rule that you must pick your receiver before any measuring is done.  Or just allow measuring QB to Receivers,  then you must select your receiver before laying down the target ball placement stick.

• Like 3

I also like to use passing sticks.  I use a home made version that is slightly different then Tudor's.  Sticks can always be modified to match the completion percentage that you desire for your league.  This season I've added extra distance for pressure if a defender is within 2 yards of the QB.  I know it can be time consuming to read the open receivers and judge the defenders position.  I allow up to 3 stops for someone to get open, but only allow the receiver and defenders to pivot toward the marker on the final stop.  My one dilemma with passing sticks involves a receiver in the end zone.  Sometimes the stick extends out of bounds or he is open but has to pivot across the length of the end zone to set the marker.  Does any one have a good solution or rule to help remedy this issue?

• Like 2

Just like in real football, you run out of room when you get close to the endzone.  We make the coach place the ball marker inbounds, so (like you) it can be tough in the endzone.  Personally if I'm passing close to the goal line, I don't let the board run too long so the receiver is close enough to use a short stick.

I made the passing sticks on the "classic" scale.  Measuring stick is 40 #620 yards long, first 20 one red, second 20 white.  Red stick is 6 yds, white 12 yds, and blue 18.  You can see that only the red can fit in the depth of the endzone while perpendicular to the LOS.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2023 at 10:18 AM, Greg F said:

Anyone with tips on how to set up pass patterns?  I’ve never really done this.  I’ve always just lined them up and seen who got off their defender.

i know im late but i’ve been trying a new rule that i fell in love with. I use an actual QB to pass the ball so the rule is: When declaring target must run bored for half a second to simulate pass being thrown(gives defender a chance), once you declared the receiver and run the bored for the half second you can’t change who you were going to throw to even if another receiver gets open as the ball would hypothetically already be in the air.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jayethekxng said:

i know im late but i’ve been trying a new rule that i fell in love with. I use an actual QB to pass the ball so the rule is: When declaring target must run bored for half a second to simulate pass being thrown(gives defender a chance), once you declared the receiver and run the bored for the half second you can’t change who you were going to throw to even if another receiver gets open as the ball would hypothetically already be in the air.

Interesting.  

• Like 3