Capanther tournaments

Capanther

Sunday...double header day.....jets advance with 17 to 14 win over the oilers....the winning score was a namath to Maynard pass in the 4th qt......pictures include : 13 don maynard...32 emerson boozer...83 george sauer...81 gary philbin...86 verlon biggs ..41 matt snell..for the jets.......34 earl Campbell...00 ken burrough....44 charlie toler...90 george webster.....65 elvin bethea and 16 george blanda for the oilers...( again...i probably butchered a few names with my spelling ) ....next up is the dolphins taking on the patriots.

20200803_000920~2.jpg

20200802_234808~2.jpg

20200802_235036~2.jpg

20200803_002814~2.jpg

The "Mad Bomber" strikes again!  Daryle Lamonica and Cliff Branch were only on the same team for two years and neither was a starter during that time, but that surely would have been a deadly combination with Branch's speed and Lamonica's ability to throw deep!

• Like 1

When i go to numbering these teams...the raiders are always tough because of so many good players its tuff to choose. I put stabler on my dark raiders...and lamonica on my white set...then you have plunkett in the later years and then there was george blanda the miracle man...so i left plunkett on my patriot teams and i have blanda on my oilers...that way all 4 of them are represented somewhere.........all my vikings have joe kapp at qb....and i put tarkenton on  my white giants team..while Y.A. is on the dark set.....lots of great old players to try to put on a roster somewhere....i do try to keep all my teams represented by players from the 60s and 70s....i think earl Campbell and walter payton may be the only players from the 80s who still make a roster......my introduction to pro football and electric football started in the late 60s and early 70s...so i get to relive those happy childhood moments every time i put the little teams on the metal field.

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean.  My introduction was also in the mid to late 60s and I've been playing ever since.  My first 5 seasons (played over 52 years) was made up of players from the 60s and 70s.  My current season was the first where I expanded my rosters to include 80s and 90s players as well as 60s and 70s.  Just seemed like it was time to include some of the later players (especially since one of my favorite teams (the Eagles) weren't very good in the 60s and 70s.  Still it was hard to decide which team to place some of the players.  For instance, Tarkenton is my starter in Minnesota, although i liked him on the Giants too (in a couple of my earlier seasons).  Tittle is my current NYG QB with Phil Simms backing him up. Lamonica is my starter for the Raiders, with Stabler as his backup.  I have Blanda as a backup behind Warren Moon on the Oilers.   My teams are made up of 53 players (each in dark and white uniforms), and 10 taxi squad players (in case of injuries) so I have a lot of players to choose from for each of my 16 teams.  

• Like 2

Patriots 17 dolphins 7 ....jim nance had 2 rushing touchdowns....the patriots move on to the 2nd round to meet the jets. Pictured players include : 35 nance...72 larry eisenhower and 73 john hannah for the patriots.....12 bob griese...66 larry little...22 mercury morris for the dolphins.....next up the defending champion denver broncos take on the bengals.

20200806_233708~3.jpg

20200806_234512~3.jpg

20200807_002550~2.jpg

Defending champion broncos are knocked out of this season tournament by the bengals 17 to 14.....i am now down to the final 4 for the NFL and AFL.....in the NFL EAST ...the steelers host the eagles...in the WEST the 49ers travel to the packers....after those 2 games...i will head back to the AFL ...where in the EAST the jets will host the patriots....and the bengals will travel to oakland in the WEST. .....GREAT PLAYERS from days gone by include: 44 floyd little...24 otis armstrong...57 tom jackson....for the broncos.......for the begals...84 bob trumphy ....12 gregg cook...58 al beauchamp...78 anthony munoz.....next up...the eagles face the steelers.

20200809_225224~2.jpg

20200809_224011~2.jpg

20200809_232920~2.jpg

• Like 1

One of those games that remind us why we enjoy this game . eagles 35 steelers 28.....high scoring with big plays from some of the all time greats....franco harris for the steelers and wibert montgomery had monster games with 3 tds a piece....bradshaw to stalworth and sneed to charmichael for long pass plays....but the biggest play of the game came right before halftime as big bob brown of the eagles had a pick 6 ...always enjoy seeing the old big lineman score....some of the greats represented were 31 montgomery...17 harold charmichael .76 bob brown..60 chuck bednarik and 16 norm snead for the eagles.......and for the steelers 75 joe greene....68 lc greenwood....58 jack lamert...12 terry bradshaw...52 mike webster...20 rocky blier...and 82 john stalworth.....the eagles move on to the nfl championship game to meet the winner of the packers and 49ers.

20200811_202702~2.jpg

20200811_203908~2.jpg

20200811_202422~3.jpg

20200811_204338~2.jpg

20200811_212853~2.jpg

Edited by Capanther
Add
  • Like 1

Hoo Boy!  The Eagles come through - lookin good in those old uniforms.  Nice to see some of the really big names on both the Eagles and Steelers.  Wow, if the Packers beat the 49ers, it could be the 1960 Championship game all over again - albeit now just the NFC championship.  Verrrrrryyy Interesting!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

Hoo Boy!  The Eagles come through - lookin good in those old uniforms.  Nice to see some of the really big names on both the Eagles and Steelers.  Wow, if the Packers beat the 49ers, it could be the 1960 Championship game all over again - albeit now just the NFC championship.  Verrrrrryyy Interesting!

I think if the packers do win...ill get the white jersey team out and the dark jersey green helmet eagle set...it would be close to what each team wore in 1960.

• Like 2

Lombardi's packers are heading to another championship again with a 28-7 win over the 49ers. John brodie for the 49ers threw 3 interceptions with willie wood running one back for a pick six. The packers will face the eagles in the NFL Championship.....pictures include : 24 wood...87 willie davis...5 paul hornung...15 bart starr....64 jerry kramer....31 jim taylor...86 boyd dowler....22 elijah pitts...and 66 ray nitschke...for the packers.......for the 49ers...40 ken willard...70 charlie kruger...44 john david crowe..and 22 vic washington...next up is an AFL semifinal match between the raiders and the bengals.

20200812_210332~2.jpg

20200812_212116~2.jpg

20200812_212958~3.jpg

20200812_213804~2.jpg

20200812_221503~2.jpg

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 1

Just for fun and curiosity i went back and looked at the past tournaments....in 32 super bowl tourneys ....of the 6 teams remaining with a shot at super bowl 33....the packers have been in 5 super bowls and won 3....the eagles have been in 1 and won 1......the raiders have been in 8 and won 2.....the jets have been in 8 and won 3......the bengals and patriots have never been in a super bowl.

• Like 1

Wow. That's a lot of Super Bowls!  I'm heading toward my seventh!  Glad to see the Packers won.  Should be a good game between the Eagles and Packers and the Raiders and Bengals game should be interesting as well!

Edited by RickLM30
Additonal comment.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

Wow. That's a lot of Super Bowls!  I'm heading toward my seventh!  Glad to see the Packers won.  Should be a good game between the Eagles and Packers and the Raiders and Bengals game should be interesting as well!

33 tournaments in about 15 years or so....i probably average 2 a year....i think that i got fired up when someone told me that tudor had started the forum again.....ill probably take a break for awhile at the conclusion of this one....typically it takes 25 games to play one tournament but i like it cause all of my 26 teams play at least one game...ive been having a lot of fun in the last couple months with the little teams.

• Like 2

Nice.  I'm in it for the long haul.  I've been playing pretty consistently since 1966 except for time off for school, work, getting married, kids, etc.😊 Because of that and the fact my games take so long to play, I'm only in my 7th season, but it keeps me busy and out of trouble, sorta.  😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

Nice.  I'm in it for the long haul.  I've been playing pretty consistently since 1966 except for time off for school, work, getting married, kids, etc.😊 Because of that and the fact my games take so long to play, I'm only in my 7th season, but it keeps me busy and out of trouble, sorta.  😊

Ive found i get in to the mood to play 2 or 3 times a year...then in what i call my off season...lol...i pull the teams out and sometimes renumber...or search for spares or new teams...sometimes i buy teams just to compare to mine and maybe keep one player thst looks a little better for my set then resell the other 11.....i think thst us why so many of my teams have stayed in great shape...many i have had multiple teams of and just kept the best 11...it has been a very good hobby i have been able to enjoy...and i have got to talk to a lot of good people along the way like you ☺

• Like 2

I hadn't thought about buying teams and switching out nicer looking ones for my beat up ones.  Guess I'm not too bright!  I've just always tried to 'touch up' or repair the players that got worn or broken, with various levels of success. Sometime I just had to give up the ghost on some of them, and would buy unpainted figures and paint them myself, again, with mixed results.  Fortunately, I've been able to preserve my teams pretty well, with only three or four actually getting broken beyond repair.  I'm not sure any of my 'touch ups' and paint jobs would pass muster with a lot of the talented painters I've seen here in the forum, but I can tell which team they are supposed to be on, at least. 😊 I agree, it is a great hobby and it's really neat to see all the different approaches out their involving the hobby and to discuss different ideas and approaches for the hobby in general.   BTW, don't take too much time off, I enjoy seeing the old guys on your teams and the vintage teams themselves and exchanging ideas with you.

• Like 1

Good game in oakland ....the raiders slipped by the bengals 24 to 20. The raiders now move on to the AFL championship game and will face the winner of the jets and the patriots. #18 Paul Robinson of the Bengals had a great rushing game and scored 3 tds. Other great players from the past include : 52 dave remington ..25 chip myers...66 bill bergy......and for the raiders 35 hewert dixon...44 marv hubbard...21 cliff branch...63 gene upshaw...87 dave casper...60 otis sistrunk ...41 phil vilapiano and ole mr raider himself 00 jim otto.

20200817_001229~2.jpg

20200817_001728~2.jpg

20200817_002751~2.jpg

20200817_010329~2.jpg

• Like 1

The 2 championship games are set....the jets defeat the patriots 21 to 6 and the jets will now meet the raiders in the AFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. ....the packers will meet the eagles in the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME .....emerson boozer scored 3 tds ...2 on the ground and 1 was a 70 yd pass play from joe namath......great players from the past include : 32 boozer....12 namath...83 george sauer....66 randy rasmussen..87 pete lammons....13 don maynard....75 winston hill for the jets.........for the patriots....35 jim nance...30 carl garrett....72 larry eisenhower....18 randy vataha....NEXT UP the packers vs the eagles with a trip to capanther super bowl XXXIII on the line.

20200817_223226~2.jpg

20200817_225351~2.jpg

20200817_230053~2.jpg

20200817_231307~2.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Capanther said:

The 2 championship games are set....the jets defeat the patriots 21 to 6 and the jets will now meet the raiders in the AFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. ....the packers will meet the eagles in the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME .....emerson boozer scored 3 tds ...2 on the ground and 1 was a 70 yd pass play from joe namath......great players from the past include : 32 boozer....12 namath...83 george sauer....66 randy rasmussen..87 pete lammons....13 don maynard....75 winston hill for the jets.........for the patriots....35 jim nance...30 carl garrett....72 larry eisenhower....18 randy vataha....NEXT UP the packers vs the eagles with a trip to capanther super bowl XXXIII on the line.

20200817_223226~2.jpg

20200817_225351~2.jpg

20200817_230053~2.jpg

20200817_231307~2.jpg

I’ve always wondered how you’ve managed to get the opposing teams in your upcoming games to pose for pictures without fights breaking out, or at least some trash talk... 😜

• Like 3

Ooof! My two favorite teams in the NFC championship game.  Should be a good one.  Really nice to see the old players once again on both teams!  Especially nice to see the Eagles in Kelly green again.  Really don't care much for Mrs. Lurie's Midnight green. 

• Like 2