Capanther tournaments

Capanther

I started coming back in here about a month or so ago. I have been reading and viewing all the fascinating new ideas and improvements to the game. I admire the innovations and the dedication to this great hobby of ours by tudor games. I have kind of jumped around on various topics and made posts in different areas. I am retired now after 31 years of teaching and coaching so i have extra time to come to this forum and i enjoy it very much. I am a collector and solitaire player so i thought i would just post pics of my tournament games and honor the early tudor era like i always have. My focus is on the late 60s and early 70s tudor teams and players of that era. If you enjoy seeing the old teams then i hope you visit this post from time to time. I used to try to play complete seasons but i switched to this tournament format about 20 years ago and i like it because i use all my teams ( the 26 teams of the AFL and NFL in the merger era). In my current tournament i have finished the NFL bracket and the Rams were the winner. I am currently down to the final 4 in the AFL ( jets and dolphins in the east...and broncos and chargers in the west ) the AFL winner will meet the Rams for the super bowl. I will post a picture or 2 of some of this tournament. Some i have placed in various posts in the site. But i will concentrate my posts to this area now. I hope my pictures and information bring back some good memories for you guys.

20200705_230724.jpg

20200705_225932.jpg

20200703_235811~2.jpg

20200702_010900~2.jpg

20200629_010109.jpg

20200706_000218~2.jpg

20200705_012129~2.jpg

Edited by Capanther
Added pictures
  • Like 3

Really nice.  As I've said before in response to one of your posts, it's really nice to see someone else who appreciates the old guys.  Your posts always bring back fond memories of some of my prior solitaire seasons.  I am also retired after 40 years working for the Defense Department and have more time to devote to my solitaire league now.  I have a mixture of guys from the 60s through the 90s on my teams (plenty of oldsters because I lean that way). 😊 Anyway, keep it up. I for one enjoy seeing the old guys!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

Really nice.  As I've said before in response to one of your posts, it's really nice to see someone else who appreciates the old guys.  Your posts always bring back fond memories of some of my prior solitaire seasons.  I am also retired after 40 years working for the Defense Department and have more time to devote to my solitaire league now.  I have a mixture of guys from the 60s through the 90s on my teams (plenty of oldsters because I lean that way). 😊 Anyway, keep it up. I for one enjoy seeing the old guys!

Thanks....the old tudor brown boxes in the mail from Brooklyn NY were such fond memories . i would rush upstairs open it up and start numbering the teams to represent the stars of the day. Then i would pick out 2 teams to play. My grandmother would open my door and tell me she was just checking because she hadnt heard me moving around the house for hours....LOL

20200703_203616~2.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

Thanks....the old tudor brown boxes in the mail from Brooklyn NY were such fond memories . i would rush upstairs open it up and start numbering the teams to represent the stars of the day. Then i would pick out 2 teams to play. My grandmother would open my door and tell me she was just checking because she hadnt heard me moving around the house for hours....LOL.....ps i included a picture for you of the old 1968 washington redskins....my collection includes all the old original tudor hoglegs from the late 60s....i have all the old tudor originals in dark and white jerseys....but every now and then i will paint a varsion i dont have in the originals...my collection has the yellow helmet version of the redskins....so i just made these myself.

• Like 1

Very nice.  Yeah, the red helmets with the spear on the side.  I think they switched to yellow helmets with the big R when Lombardi left the Packers and went to the Redskins.   I remember those guys - some of them are also still active in my league - Charley Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, Jerry Smith, Len Hauss, Sonny Jurgensen, Pat Richter, etc.  

• Like 1

Yup! Fond memories of all 4 of those guys (still active in my league).  I became a Broncos fan while living in Denver for awhile. Go Broncos!  Also, have good memories of watching the AFL Chargers in the early years - especially Lance Alworth, Keith Lincoln, Paul Lowe, Dickie Post, Speedy Duncan, Ernie Ladd, Dick Harris, etc.

• Like 1

Super bowl is set...i think this will be #37 ...ill have to check my website....RAMS vs BRONCOS ....the rams defeated the saints..49ers...lions and cardinals in the NFL bracket....the broncos defeated the oilers in a wild card game...then the raiders...chargers and the dolphins....i have 16 teams in the NFL and 10 teams in the AFL.

20200710_220932~2.jpg

20200710_220339.jpg

20200627_010803.jpg

8 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

Go Broncos!

In the last 2 games the broncos have scored 47 points and given up 12....they are definetly the hot team of the tourney...defense has been dominating and the floyd little ..otis armstrong duo of runners have been controlling the ball and churning out big yards.

• Like 1

I went back to my website and checked....this will actually be super bowl XXXII ...the rams have won 4 and the broncos 1.....i typically play 2 tournaments a year ....when i get in the right frame of mind i will often play 4 games a week.....but then i will go several months without playing....the way i play now it takes 25 games to complete a tournament...ive already drawn up the next bracket ....because i put them in the old pre merger divisions ...usually 67..68...or 69....i try to rotate the first round games and try to use the one and done teams in the opposite uniform from the previous tournament ( example ..vikings..lions..packers and bears are always central division ..i try to make sure they play a different team of the 4 from the previous tournament and different uniform )

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 1

Super bowl XXXII is complete....BRONCOS 21 RAMS 14.....there were 5 touchdowns and ill put a picture of each one along with some names of the old stars of the game......i might miss one or two but here are some of the old stars represented on each team.....BRONCOS...24 otis armstrong...44 floyd little...7 craig morton..55 dave costa...77 lyle alzado...68 rubin carter...57 tom jackson...53 randy gradishire...80 rick upchurch......41 rob lydle.....RAMS ...18 roman gabriel...33 willie Ellison...34 les josephson...84 jack snow...22 dick bass....75 deacon jones...74 merlin olsen...76 rosey grier...85 lamar lundy...55 maxie baughn ..and 80 bob klein.

20200711_234606.jpg

20200711_233720.jpg

20200711_233008.jpg

20200711_231820.jpg

20200711_225331~2.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

I love it Coach!  Thank you for posting your work, love for the hobby, and dedication to teaching and coaching.  The pictures are awesome!

Thanks i just like to share the history of this great game of ours. These little teams and games have been a happy part of me for 50 years now. 

• Like 1

Since i have been into a playing mood i figure i will go ahead and start super bowl 33 tournament right away. Last night i did some maintenance ...switched the fields...did some base work ( i use untweaked widetops for the linemen and tweaked bases for the skill positions from my old friend scott in Brooklyn ) game one will feature the eagles vs the cowboys.

20200713_012406~3.jpg

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, Capanther said:

Thanks i just like to share the history of this great game of ours. These little teams and games have been a happy part of me for 50 years now. 

Sometimes it has the ability to change a mood and emotion when you just want to take a break from life--there it is--electric football waiting for us to get into that world of its own!

• Like 2

Capanther, Way to go Eagles.  I still think those Eagles uniforms were the best - Kelly green with shoulder and arm stripes!  That's how the Eagles in my league look too and Retzlaff and Brown are still starting along with McDonald, Baughan, Bednarik, etc..  I feel the same way you do about the old guys.  They've been entertaining me for 54 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Long island EFL said:

Sometimes it has the ability to change a mood and emotion when you just want to take a break from life--there it is--electric football waiting for us to get into that world of its own!

Its been a good part for sure....now that i have retired i can spend more time on it too....many great memories and it sure beats watching the news anymore.

• Like 2