Capanther tournaments

Capanther

43 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

Capanther, Way to go Eagles.  I still think those Eagles uniforms were the best - Kelly green with shoulder and arm stripes!  That's how the Eagles in my league look too and Retzlaff and Brown are still starting along with McDonald, Baughan, Bednarik, etc..  I feel the same way you do about the old guys.  They've been entertaining me for 54 years.

I like the hoglegs because they came in some variations in uniforms...i have these original eagles in the green helmet but i also have both sets of white helmets....in the second round i will use the all white eagles with the shoulder and arm stripes against the winner of the giants and spear helmet redskins...if the giants win they will wear the traditional blue...if the redskins win i will use the yellow helmet dark set against the eagles.....it adds a little variety....i think when we were kids most of us got an electric football game for christmas or a birthday and we either used it once or twice and put it away...or it became something we truly enjoyed....i am definitely one of the ones who is glad my grandmother and mom bought me the game.

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WeeVikes said:

Capanther, these are great!

I was curious, what is the format of your games and how long do they typically take to play?

Thank you. 

Hello and thanks...i play 10 plays per quarter....i have kickoffs where the runner starts on the 2 with both teams in normal old kick and receiving set up on the 50 and 40...this typically helps with field position and opens the game.... probably 3 out of every 4 plays is a run....but u can pass on any down...i use basic football formations ...pro set ...i formation and single back spread...7 men have to be on the line on offense and defense ( prevents stacking) ...on a pass the qb starts heading opposite direction he can go back 15 yards and be turned once...( i use dice to pass...punt and for fg ) ...1 is an interception...4 or better is completion to the receiver he can run if not down....punts and fg are measured from line of scrimmage...a roll of 3 means 30 yd punt or 30 yd fg...etc....i can typically play a game in less than an hour and a half....i like it because its fairly quick and the scores probably average 21 to 17 or something realistic. ...today i played 2 games.....i use the same 22 bases ..and when the game ends i take the next teams out of their containers and rotate bases from the previous teams to the new teams...for example...earlier i played redskins and giants...tonight i played the steelers and browns...so each team got 5 or 6 bases from the redskins and giants....sometimes one line dominates and sometimes they are even....my lineman use widetops from the mid 70s...and my skill positions use tweaked speed bases....i use original tudor hogleg teams from the late 60s.....i have all 26 teams in dark and white ...16 original nfl...and 10 afl when the merger took place ....thanks

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 1

Steelers 21 browns 10....the 2 pictures represent 32 jim brown of the browns and 32 franco harris of the steelers...the browns are numbered to represent the great cleveland players from the 60s...44 leroy kelly...13 frank ryan...66 gene hickerson...76 lou groza...86 gary collins...42 paul warfield...etc...the steelers represent the 70s....harris...20 rocky blier...75 joe Greene...68 lc greenwood....82 john stalworth...12 terry bradshaw.....58 jack lambert...etc.....next up ...the saints take on the cardinals.

20200715_001558.jpg

20200715_000112~2.jpg

20200715_005750~2.jpg

• Like 1

Saints move on with a 21 to 14 win over the cardinals ...next up... the colts and 49ers in an old costal division classic....pictured  #42 john gilliam scores for the saints followed by 46 danny Abramowitz and 25 al dodd....for the cardnals 21 terry metcalfe and 35 jim otis.

20200716_200048~2.jpg

20200716_210834~3.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NO Dave said:

Those poor visitor Chargers look like they could use a new cleaning contract. The word is "well played". 

I never did quite understand why the old tudor made the chargers in the old gold like saints and 49ers....i like the dark ones but i never cared for the white ones....but when you collect the originals you collect what they made.

• Like 2

Thriller at baltimore.....49ers 20 colts 14...the colts were driving  in the middle of the 4th qt with the game tied...but old charlie kruger a defensive tackle for the 49ers intercepts unitas ....the 49ers march down and complete a crucial brodie to john david crow 3rd down conversion then a couple plays later brodie hits gene washington on the last play of the game for the win....( sorry about the over enthusiastic sports report ...but hey...it was a humdinger ) next up is the other 2 teams in the old coastal division the rams and the falcons....pictures include 41 tom mattie...88 john mackey...82 raymond berry for the colts....18 gene washingtin...44 john david crow ...64 dave wilcox and 70 charlie krueger of the 49ers.

20200717_231354~2.jpg

20200717_222655~2.jpg

20200717_232622.jpg

3 hours ago, Long island EFL said:

I have lots of extra numbers from that era if you want them--I'd be happy to give them to you.

yes....and thanks....most of my teams i use the old peel and stick because thats what the hogs used...i try to keep everything original except the bases...and i like the foam rubber footballs better than the old cotton ones. 

Another good close game....the rams defeat the falcons 24 to 23....game featured a saftey after the falcons had pinned the rams back on the 1 after a punt.....#33 cannonball butler for the falcons had 3 tds.....but # 33 willie ellison for the rams caught 3 td passes from roman gabriel .....great players from yesterday include : 76 rosey grier..75 deacon jones....74 merlin olsen...84 jack snow..22 dick bass of the rams......60 tommy nobis...87 claude humphrey ....and 28 ray ogden of the falcons.....next game features the packers vs the lions in the first game of the central division bracket.

20200718_161423~2.jpg

20200718_173815~2.jpg

20200718_171854.jpg

20200718_175128~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, Capanther said:

Thanks i just like to share the history of this great game of ours. These little teams and games have been a happy part of me for 50 years now. 

On 7/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, Capanther said:

Its been a good part for sure....now that i have retired i can spend more time on it too....many great memories and it sure beats watching the news anymore.

These are the original Packers I played against my Mom almost 50 years ago Charlie!  OMG!  Amazing!  Those are so rare! Congrats on your retirement and what a great way to keep our hobby alive.  I will always keep these memories alive as you will see by our page--I even mentioned your league. I am at williamoconnell63@gmail.com for the address and I will get those numbers out Monday.

Edited by Long island EFL
added information

1 hour ago, Long island EFL said:

These are the original Packers I played against my Mom almost 50 years ago Charlie!  OMG!  Amazing!  Those are so rare! Congrats on your retirement and what a great way to keep our hobby alive.  I will always keep these memories alive as you will see by our page--I even mentioned your league. I am at williamoconnell63@gmail.com for the address and I will get those numbers out Monday.

Thank you....i have all the original tudor hog leg teams in dark and white...a few i have in other variations like jets for example i have 4 teams...the only custom painted team i have is the dark spear redskins....i have got to know some really good people while collecting ....its a great hobby we share.

• Like 2

packers trailed 12 to 0 before roaring back to win 28 to 12. Pictured is #22 elijah pitts...64 jerry kramer....86 boyd dowler....75 forrest gregg......and 31 jim taylor for the packers.....53 mike lucci...and 55 wayne walker for the lions....next game will feature the vikings and the bears.

20200718_233715~2.jpg

20200718_233215.jpg

• Like 1

Go Pack!  Some of the greats from yesteryear, as well as Willie Davis, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thursten, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, and Willie Wood in the earlier picture.  Fond memories of watching them win back in the 60s.  Your old players look like they are still in pretty good shape!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

Go Pack!  Some of the greats from yesteryear, as well as Willie Davis, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thursten, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, and Willie Wood in the earlier picture.  Fond memories of watching them win back in the 60s.  Your old players look like they are still in pretty good shape!

Yes...sometimes i buy multiple teams and keep the best 11 and sell the others....so over the years i have improved my teams quite a bit.....but some of the really rare teams you only get one or 2 shots at finding...

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 1

I just purchased an old game last week that is suppose to arrive tomorrow...the only reason i bought it was because it had blue vikings in it....i have 2 teams of original vikings in purple....ive been looking for a set of blue ones.....ill use them to play against the bears tomorrow if they get here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

I didn't know there were blue Vikings. Are they blue because they still haven't won a Super Bowl? 🤣 I have seen some funky purple Vikings that looked more like a cranberry color though.  In fact I have some of the cranberry Vikings.

The 1969 hoglegs came in various uniform changes....vikings come in purple ( which are generally much better paint jobs than the cranberry runny 1967 bigmen vikings...probably what u are talking about ) ..then they made blue vikings for some reason in the late hog runs .......other variations are : redskins with yellow helmets and redskins with spear helmets....eagles with white helmets...and eagles with green helmets...saints with the standard gold helmets and black helmet saints....jets with one shoulder stripe ...and jets with 3 stripes on the sleeves....chiefs in dark with no stripe and chiefs with one sleeve stripe.....might be one or two others that im forgetting about....when i thinned my collection a few years ago...i decided to keep my hogleg collection in my favorite variation and because the AFL came in dark and white ....when i see a variation i dont have at a good price i buy it.....whew...i get a little long winded when i talk about the old teams...but i enjoy it....ill post a pic after while showing a few of the variations that i have.

• Like 1