FIRST DOWN DETERMINATION

RickLM30

Does anyone have a good system for determining first downs when it is close and you need to make a measurement?  The chains for the 620 boards had a slide on the 10 yard chains, so you could place the slide on the yard stripe and get a good measurement for the first down.  I'm using a 48 x 24 inch board now and the chains don't have any way of easily marking where the yard stripe (the ones that go all the way across the field (5, 10, 15, etc.) is to make an accurate measurement for the first down.  Looking for any ideas...

Thanks everyone.  All good ideas, but truthfully, I think I like the laser level best.  I use dice to determine offensive and defensive formations and whether to run or pass, but not sure I like it for first down determination.  May try it to see how it works though. Thanks again.

Just fyi, y'all.  I bought a laser level and now use it for first down determinations when measurements are necessary.  No Dave was right!  It works great and neither team can argue with the results (especially since I play in a solitaire league)! 😊

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Ravenna Al said:

I use the NFL method. If I like the team that's on offense, I fudge the ball forward so there's no doubt it's a first down. If I don't like the team, I move it back so it's close but no cigar. If it's good enough for the pros, it's good enough for me. 🤪

That's perfect, and don't forget that if it's the 80s Redskins, 90s Cowboys, or 2000s Patriots that you move it a couple yards forward....And I say that as an 80s Skins fan. 😁

• Like 2

Paul,  I actually got a cheaper model RYOBI Laser Cube Compact Laser Level at Home Depot. It's smaller and works fine.  Sorry, I couldn't get the link to work here for some reason. 😒

Hopefully, Washington will find a name for themselves in the near future.  Hard to believe they didn't have one waiting in the wings at this point.  Can't believe they are going to continue to go by the Washington Football Team. Too many openings for jokes about whether they are or not... 😊

• Like 1

Cool, I was thinking it was probably a smaller version, but the other option that kept coming up were the huge $350 ones on a tripod that we use at work to grade yard slopes for drainage. I didn't think that was right. 😁

Yeah, I wish they had done this a lot better and less kneejerk and sudden. I'm not going to get super political/social/etc. about this, as I know this is not the right platform for that, and I hope I'm not coming off as angry or offended, but I will say the following:

As a member of the Abenaki-Algonquin tribe in Vermont and Quebec, who (1) grew up just outside of a reservation, (2) grew up a Redskins fan (my dad's favorite QB was Canada's son Mark Rypien) and (3.) also went to college near the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians reservation in NC, I have plenty of Redskins fans in my family, and I also saw plenty of Washington Redskins shirts, hats, etc. on "the Rez", and not just on the non-Natives. Take from that what you will. 🤔

• Like 1

Yup, I saw those levels too and decided I didn't need anything that big or expensive! 😊 The one I got was around $15 and works fine.  I'm a little surprised Tudor didn't just make bigger chains like the original ones from the old games, but I guess maybe they didn't have access to the molds or copyrights.  Too bad, as they worked fine, but the laser level also works fine.

Yeah, I get it, and no you're not coming off angry or offended..  I'm just an old white guy, so I try to stay out of these political arenas entirely. I just wish, if they were going to change the name, that they had something picked already.  I guess, since they are also changing the uniforms, I'll have to consider repainting my Washington team in 10 years when I start my new season! 😊

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for the smaller sized little fellers. I had considered trying to cut some custom chains using those cheap bracelet chains you can get at Michaels, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. The laser seems like a better solution, at least for me. 😁

Yeah same here, I'm not a very political guy by any means, and either way there's no use crying about something that really doesn't matter that much in the end so I'll keep out of it. Honestly, with the way Dan Snyder has ran this team over the years, he will probably have sold them off in 10 years anyway (and then they'll be called something super awful, like the Kentucky Horsemen or Portland Sailors- which are totally not rejected team names that I've come up with for my EF League or anything). 😆

• Like 1