Simple Electric Football for Kids

I've always said this game is best when the board is on.  I like Daryl's suggestions to keep things moving, but I think "stop forward progress tackling" can get a little hard to judge and can lead to disagreements on many plays, whereas one-touch tackling is usually very clear a vast majority of plays.

Also, maybe play sevens--three linemen, QB, 1 RB, 2 WR.  It will be a lot quicker to set up and separate, as well as allowing a lot of space on the field.  And a mid-sized field (like old Tudor 635) might make for more scoring, or at least fewer plays to traverse between the 20s.

• Like 3

Kids like hands on so I would suggest either stick passing or keeping the Thrown ball but making it easier to complete, probably by putting a target larger than the figure in front of the receiver.

As a kid I loved kicking, FGs, XP, Kickoffs, but it was always so frustrating to get the ball on the tee. 

• Like 2

I know I am the oddball here again, but I think a multi-stop system would be better for kids.  For one thing, they wouldn't have to worry about tweaking bases and all the issues and time involved with that.  They could start playing almost right away.  Furthermore, they could run actual pass patterns (square ins & outs, posts, flags, out and ups, slants, etc. at the distances and with the sharp cuts used in football.  I began using a multi-stop system almost right away almost 60 years ago, because I got frustrated with all the players running around willy-nilly.  It never made sense to me watching my middle linebacker run off to the right when the back was running left, or watching my ball carrier turn around and run the wrong way.  Multi-stop enabled all the players on the field to react in a way they would on a real field as the play progressed.  I still play that way in my solitaire league, putting myself in each players' head as I adjust them during the play.  Just my two cents and I am aware this system is not very popular or widely used, but it works for me, and might be useful introducing kids to the game.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Coach Shawn said:

Kids like hands on so I would suggest either stick passing or keeping the Thrown ball but making it easier to complete, probably by putting a target larger than the figure in front of the receiver.

As a kid I loved kicking, FGs, XP, Kickoffs, but it was always so frustrating to get the ball on the tee. 

Coach Shawn, I agree kids like hands on.  That was and still is one of my favorite things about the game.  I would keep the TTQB and let them experiment with it kicking and throwing.  Maybe allow them more than one attempt at hitting the target until they became more proficient.  I also liked and still do like to do my own FGs, XPs, and kickoffs and punts.  To me that stuff is still fun.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 8:56 AM, Daryl Collins said:

Stop forward motion tackling to keep the game moving. Dice for passing and kicking. Pre-tweaked Rookie bases to start off with.

I agree completely. Especially the pre-tweaked bases. 

10 hours ago, zak99b5 said:

whereas one-touch tackling is usually very clear a vast majority of plays.

My memories are just the opposite. I remember, "He touched the back." "No he didn't." "Yes he did." "No he didn't." etc. for the next hour. The same goes for the plastic catapult. "The ball hit his base." "No it didn't." Yes it did." "No it didn't." for the next hour. Remember your friend who got so mad he flipped over the field?

On 4/30/2024 at 7:06 AM, nefgm.org said:

a simple set of rules for teaching kids from 8 years old and up how to play electric football.

That said, if we want to funnel these 8 year-olds into the existing hobby then follow SOP. I was playing Monopoly, Battleship, and Clue when I was 8. I don't think Milton-Bradley created a special version for 8-year-olds did they?

Folding in aspects of Roll Play Games is another way to get an 8 year-old's interest. A card for every player, play, and situation. I think letting the 8-year-olds paint their favorite players is a way to get their interest. 

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.  🏈♾️

• Like 4

I agree with all of the above. Get them knee deep in the hoopla with hands on experience as much as possible is important. Another important aspect which even the 8-year-olds can understand is strategy. A lot of that "yes he did, no he didn't" stuff is why I incorporate as a home-field advantage point: If there is any doubt about the play, it goes in favor of the home team to keep the game moving.

I did my best to explain the offense and defense setups and why they were set that way to my 7-year-old foster girl. Basically, I believe that teaching strategy helped her see there is purpose [for lack of a better term] in every part of the game. I also think that is why she got so excited when she beat me for the first time. [For which she rubbed it in my face for quite a while. 🙂 But, that was part of the fun]. She learned a great hobby earning great personal reward that victory brings. She is 21 years old now. I wonder what she does at times but all ties to Texas have been severed so I don't know if she still likes the game or not. I like to think she does. Blessings to all 🙂Curt

• Like 4

Basically, I am trying to develop a neighborhood youth electric football league to run out of my garage this summer to help facilitate introducing the game and hobby to a new generation.

Don't know exactly how that is going to work. but we shall see.  Thanks to all for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. 

• Like 3

On 4/30/2024 at 9:06 AM, nefgm.org said:

I am trying to develop a simple set of rules for teaching kids from 8 years old and up how to play electric football. What would you suggest? 

Simple setups is all that is needed for kids with a Hands-On approach. Kick returns running setups and simple past routines with the challenge to use the critical mindset and creativity to develop their own plays. Such a great idea!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

Simple setups is all that is needed for kids with a Hands-On approach. Kick returns running setups and simple past routines with the challenge to use the critical mindset and creativity to develop their own plays. Such a great idea!

Pass

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Some of them will love just out which team they want to play with.  My first memory of electric football was being at an older friends house.  I wanted to be the Jets, but he said they sucked and gave me the Chiefs 😂.  I was probably about 6 or 7, do that would have been 1975 or 1976

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 2

I know your pain Coach Greg. I was eight [1971] when I was introduced to EF by a friend. He had unpainted light blue and white teams. My dad's twin who lived in Benton Harbor Michigan was an avid Detroit Lions fan and so influenced the Lions being one of my favorite teams. I wanted to be Detroit but Doug was adamant about being Detroit himself and kept pushing for me to be Miami. Not caring that much about Miami, I finally relented in knowing at least Detroit would win because I was clueless on how to play the game etc., but it sure sparked my love for the hobby. My first thought for you sir nefgm.org is to begin with younger people in church or perhaps if you have a connection to a local school. If 4 are found, there is the possibility for a potential starter league. Just some initial thoughts. Blessings, Curt 🙂 

• Like 4