Multiple Motors

TUDOR - Doug

We get lots of questions about running multiple motors on one board. The answer to this is yes, you can. Do you need to do it? That's a different question. If your board is running well, there's no reason to add another motor. 

The picture below shows how you can add a second motor to an Ultimate plug-in game setup. The parts you'll need are listed on our Ultimate Game page here

As far as where to place the motors, I will let the practical experience of our community take over.

Ultimate-Drivetrain-2motors.jpg

• Like 3

As with all boards, motor placement is important. The old rules of "measure twice and cut once" applies, though in a different way. Before you attach the motor to the underside of the board, just add the batteries, and let the motor run of top of the board. Try it out in a few different spots. 

Best experience has shown that a motor will work best under one of the two "50's" on the field, that is, midfield, but not center of the field. 

The old games used a corner of the end zone, and that still seems to be a good place. 

• Like 1

It's great to see Tudor recognizing the need of the EF community for motor's; however, the early stages of such demand has required a serious COST to be handed down to those who are interest in purchasing such luxury item(s) at this time.  I would prefer to support the EF family; however, moments like this bring me back to reality that I must continue to window shop...  

I just ordered the extra motor and peripherals needed to add a second motor to my ultimate board. If I place them in opposite corners of the end zones, I do not think the two 2’ cables will be long enough to meet at the splitter. Looking at the manual, for corner placement the plug should be closest to the corner and 3/4” away from the frame. 

anyone have suggestions?  I was thinking of using some butt connectors maybe to lengthen the cables (everything you would buy with two male 1/8” jacks is stereo—but they may work anyway). 

I’ve got mine at opposite corners of the end zones and as close to the corners as they will stretch and a little foam under each leg and it runs good. I tried other positions and this worked the best.my suggestion is to give this a try and if you are not happy with it then try experimenting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, you’re totally entitled to your opinion. Many of us are happy with Tudor products, and I know I am grateful that I can still buy new Ef stuff from them. 

I do not find their products over priced or low quality, especially considering it’s a bit of a niche market. 

We’ve discussed before that for many of us modding things is part of the hobby and enjoyable, not an “insane amount of money, time, and labor.”  

You yourself seem to enjoy working on things and tinkering (painting figures and cardboard bases).  Why the vitriol?

• Like 1

As a member of the “general public “all I knew about electric football was my experience as a kid with the game I got for Christmas. The board was small and the players went any witch way with no control. One day I was on YouTube and discovered all kinds of videos on playing the game tweeting the bases for better movement and making the players more realistic. I got on Tudor games website and saw bigger boards ,more realistic players and teams and all these great things to make my game more exciting. I was never a big fan of video games as I did not grow up with them and the cost of having to buy a better computer or new game console just to run the newest version of a game made no sense to me. With my electric football game I can buy new teams or change the numbers of my players as the nfl players change teams for a small investment.I’m also glad for people like Cris to start a museum to educate people on the advancement in the game and it’s history and Kit and his toe pro football showing us how to play the game better. I’ve explored other web sites on electric football and realized Tudor products are more than reasonable compared to similar products. I challenge you to find a cheaper 2x4 board of the same quality so I say thank you Tudor games for helping a once lame game great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well, back to the topic at hand. 

I tested out the board, and it does run well with the second motor. Better than before?  I think a little, but it’s not a night & day difference. 

However, I did notice that the speed adjustment works better—there’s more control over the board, and it’s easier to find the sweet spot where they run fast enough without hopping and jumping. 

I wonder if connecting the motors in series rather than parallel would make a difference?

Just want to say that I've been playing electric football for about 58 years from when a friend invited me to play with him on his field.  I asked and got a game for Christmas that same year.  Since that time, I and my brothers had numerous boards and teams, although I'm the only one of the three of us that stuck with it.  I too was initially frustrated with the fact that the players ran around all willy-nilly with little rhyme or reason to where they were going.  I solved that problem early on by developing a multi-stop system that I believe allows the players to adjust to what is happening on the field.  I stop the game about every 3 - 5 seconds to adjust the players to run and cover pass patterns, to block and react to blocks and to break for holes and to react to what the ball carrier is doing.  It has worked for me for all these years and I am quite happy with my system, although it's probably not for everyone.  I use rookie bases because the dial bases just seem to bulky and fiddly for me and I don't really tweak the bases, other than candle them when I first get then, just because I would rather play than spend time messing with the bases. 😊

Also, I have had a number of different sized boards.  Early on, with the smaller boards, I was somewhat frustrated, as it was difficult to run sweeps, outs, flags and such.  When I started using 620 boards, I was pretty happy with them, but still felt they weren't quite the right size. I had thought about trying to build a bigger board, but by the time I added up the cost of parts, the effort that would be needed (a major consideration at my age), and the time it would take, I believed the way to go for me was to purchase one from Tudor.   I have to say that I am extremely happy with my Ultimate 4'x2' board. The size is right and it runs fine.  

I think one of the great things about the hobby is that there are a lot of ways to participate in it.  Tweaking, painting, modding, playing, whatever floats your boat is pretty much available.  You certainly can spend a lot of money in the hobby, and I suppose over the years I have been playing I've spent a good bit.  However, before I bought my Ultimate board, I hadn't really spent much in the last 20 years (the last time I expanded my league) other than buying a few unpainted teams to expand my rosters and replace a couple of broken players.  I have been mostly using 2 boards that I've had since 1977.  I repaint teams periodically and renumber players after each season as players retire and new ones come along, but I don't really worry about anything else but playing out each season.   I guess it just doesn't take much to entertain me.😊

• Like 3