Another situation

Greg F

5 hours ago, Greg F said:

Thoughts?

QBs in the NFL, CFL, and College frequently throw the pass just as they are being hit. So, I'd give the QB a chance to throw the ball to an open receiver. 😃👍

☹️ No open receivers then...

... If you play touch-tackling then the QB is sacked. 😵‍💫

... If you play Stop Forward Progress Tackling then the QB is sacked because he's on a stationary base and is no longer moving forward. 😵‍💫

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

Is #24's base on backwards and #24 is running forward? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Carl said:

If you’re playing any touch tackle I would say the qb is tackled regardless of the blocker engagement 

I play a slightly modified touch tackle.  If a RB is running through the line and is only touched on the sides by defensive players who are fully engaged (entire length of front of bases touching), the RB continues the run.  Also, I continue a run if a defensive player downfield is blocked, and the runner hits the the back 1/3 of the base from the side.  (Not from behind)  

Only think I don’t like in this play is that footprint of player is increased by the freeze frame, and the defensive players just glances it.  But, I made the decision to use the frame.  I’m calling it a sack.  

I love getting everyone’s opinion.   😊

• Like 3

Re: the freeze frame--

Makes total sense to me to count that as part of the QB's base.  It's extra equipment that gives a benefit, but there's also the drawback of a bigger footprint.  Seems to work out.

Your other option (what we do) is to use a TTC base with the dial set at 90* for the QB to spin (basically) in place.   Or set it to an arc, put it on backward, and have the QB roll out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Greg F said:

Only think I don’t like in this play is that footprint of player is increased by the freeze frame, and the defensive players just glances it.  But, I made the decision to use the frame.  I’m calling it a sack.  

We use felt under the base to create a standstill player.  Our rule is that the felt is part of the base.  So if it sticks out and is touched it is equal to touching the base.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

By my rules the QB is sacked. I changed my rules a few seasons ago where if the bases are touching side to side the ball carrier is not tackled. (Thanks to the coach on this forum that suggested that!) But any other contact and the offensive player is considered tackled. 

• Like 2