Pressure sticks size

Simes549

TVEFL stick passing rules:

The TVEFL uses the standard Buzzball length red, white, and blue ball placement sticks and red/white measuring stick.  

I created pressure as an enhancement to the passing sticks rules.  You meed the following;

Orange Stick:  2 3/4” long.

Used to determine if the defense has put pressure on the QB.  Measure from QB helmet to the helmet of any unengaged defensive player.

Note the orange stick is also used when choosing to pass to a receiver that has fallen over.  The orange stick is added to the correct ball placement stick thus increasing the distance of the ball placement.  Fallen defenders do not suffer a penalty to stand up.

Red Pressure Stick: 2 1/2” long.

This ball placement stick is used when a red stick distance is needed but the QB is under pressure.

White Pressure Stick: 4 3/16” long.

This ball placement stick is used when a white stick distance is needed but the QB is under pressure.

Blue Pressure Stick: 5 15/16” long.

This ball placement stick is used when a blue stick distance is needed but the QB is under pressure.

• Like 2

I've toyed with different approaches like more than 3 sticks in different lengths, bigger or smaller targets, or taking into account the (perceived) skill of the QB.  The problem I have with sticks is that they don't allow for a bullet pass - meaning the receiver is open right now. 

Passing sticks are mot perfect but I find it the most fun and most the most strategic method available.

A bullet pass is simply a pass fired harder than the average pass.

simply make a stick to represent a bullet pass.  A bullet pass is by necessity a shorter pass.  Thus a receiver to far from WB would mot be eligible for a bullet pass.

But you must face the drawback of the bullet pass also snd that is the difficulty in catching the harder thrown ball.

so the shorter bullet stick allows you to squeeze a pass in to tighter coverage than the normal red stick but can the receiver hold onto it!

I am not a big fan of dice deciding things but I can’t think of another way to check to see if the receiver handled the hot pass.  Any ideas?

• Like 1

Another option is to put the receiver on a piece of felt so he doesn't move.  Then allow the defense to pivot unengaged defenders towards the receiver and turn on the board for a set amount of time to represent the ball in flight.  If the defenders get to the immobilized player then they break up the pass.  if not, it's a complete pass,remove the felt, pivot the receiver, and turn on the board to complete the play.

• Like 1

I believe there should be a maximum "throw", which should apply to stick passing and TTQB passing.   The maximum EF FG is capped by the maximum NFL FG.  My EF kicker can boot 150 yards, and my EF QB can throw 150 yards, so why restrict my kicker but let my QB do anything?

Tying the "pressure" to the throw is an interesting idea.  How about disallowing long passes (longer than the red/white stick) if a defender is within the orange stick?  Maybe the same should apply to TTQB?

Quote “How about disallowing long passes (longer than the red/white stick) if a defender is within the orange stick?”

Actually using the Pressure rule helps achieve this limitation due to the fact that most coaches will tend to shut off the field as a blitzer gets near his QB in order to avoid a sack.  This usually means the field runs for a short period and the receivers aren’t able to race downfield as far.

But I could see your point in that a QB should not be able to throw from one endzone to another..  I would just limit the farthest a ball marker can be placed from QB.  Too many QB’s have sacrificed tbemselves making long throws in the face of a big hit so I would not connect tbe distance limit to the fact that the QB is under pressure.

So here's a question on Passing Sticks for the group - You have a 2nd and Goal at the 2, and you call a passing play. If you're playing on a Deluxe Board (16x32), and you've got all 22 players on the field, how do you place a passing stick into those small spaces? 

I got a lot of complaints on this very thing in an old league I was in. Any advice is welcome, thanks! 

• Like 1

I am going to purchase a set of the passing sticks and try them out.  My back is already thanking me for just considering this.  I love my Next Level QB's and 808 QB's, but my board is in a very small room and maneuvering around the board to pass is difficult.  The sticks would make playing the game so much easier no doubt.  Thanks for all info Coach Shawn.

Questions...

If the receiver is beyond the total length of the measuring stick is that when the blue stick is used to determine ball placement?

When placing the ball does it have to be straight downfield toward the goal line or can it be placed diagonally either left or right? 

To answer your questions:

1 - Yes, use the blue stick if the distance (helmet to helmet) between the QB and receiver is greater than the red & white stick.

2 - No, you can place the ball wherever you'd like and angle the receiver in that direction.  Typically you do this to move the receiver towards open field.  Some may do it differently.

Edited by mccaber
  • Like 2

Could you post the measurements of the Tudor passing sticks?

The "normal" Buzz Ball passing sticks are based on the yards of an old 620 field and are likely different, as the Tudor ones are based on base lengths.

Normal measuring stick is 40 yards long (half red, half white)

Red placement stick is 6 yards

White placement stick is 12 yards

Blue placement stick is 18 yards

The pressure placement sticks appear in the photos above to add 3 yards to each placement stick.  Pressure measuring stick seems to be about 8 yards.

22 hours ago, Jesse said:

Coach Shawn, my name is Jesse

I purchased the Tudor passing sticks making my own pressure sticks but the new ones a longer than the lengths of your pressure sticks any suggestions ?

Thank You Sir

Well if you want to use the same ratio you could add half of the #1 stick to your ball placement when pressure is achieved.

or just add the 13/16” that is used for tje buzz ball sized sticks.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, tallguy said:

I believe there should be a maximum "throw", which should apply to stick passing and TTQB passing.   The maximum EF FG is capped by the maximum NFL FG.  My EF kicker can boot 150 yards, and my EF QB can throw 150 yards, so why restrict my kicker but let my QB do anything?

Tying the "pressure" to the throw is an interesting idea.  How about disallowing long passes (longer than the red/white stick) if a defender is within the orange stick?  Maybe the same should apply to TTQB?

We pressure the passer in our league by setting the quarterback to turn in the opposite direction he is only allowed to run 20 yards and you must complete or attempt a pass by the time or it is a loss of down

Just now, Long island EFL said:

We pressure the passer in our league by setting the quarterback to turn in the opposite direction he is only allowed to run 20 yards and you must complete or attempt a pass by the time or it is a loss of down

No sticks involved all passing skill with the yellow Tudor passer. The defender can line up on the line of scrimmage in the offensive players can be 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage in our league. Our league is a One stop League.