Postal League anyone?

Ravenna Al

I’ve been thinking or resurrecting the Postal League and was wondering if anyone would like to play in it.  What’s the Postal League you ask? Simply put, it’s a solitaire league where everyone chips in a team. The teams are mailed to coaches who play a game using the 2 teams that they received using their board and their solitaire rules. When they are finished playing their game, they send the teams to 2 other coaches who play their game using their board and rules. The teams make the rounds to different coaches and the 2 teams that’s have the best records play in a championship game by a neutral coach. It was a lot of fun and you get to see the painting skills and tweaking skills of different coaches. If this sounds like fun to you, let me know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ravenna Al said:

I’ve been thinking or resurrecting the Postal League and was wondering if anyone would like to play in it.  What’s the Postal League you ask? Simply put, it’s a solitaire league where everyone chips in a team. The teams are mailed to coaches who play a game using the 2 teams that they received using their board and their solitaire rules. When they are finished playing their game, they send the teams to 2 other coaches who play their game using their board and rules. The teams make the rounds to different coaches and the 2 teams that’s have the best records play in a championship game by a neutral coach. It was a lot of fun and you get to see the painting skills and tweaking skills of different coaches. If this sounds like fun to you, let me know.

That sounds plenty fun, though I would probably wait to start it until after the holidays- you know how crazy the mail gets between November and January.

Once I get my board(s) together, I'd be interested in joining in! 😁

Definitely will wait until after the 1st of the year. The rules are simple. This will be a 4.0g league. Any regular sized player (Tudor, Buzzball, FF.net or custom as long as the player isn’t abnormal in size. Any brand base again as long as it is in the normal size range. Tweak to your hearts content. I recommend that the figure and base be glued or 2 sided taped together. This is to keep the player consistent as you don’t want the bases to end up on the wrong player.  I also recommend that you use a team that isn’t too special to you in that you won’t be heartbroken if something happens to a player. The last time there was one or two instances of players getting a broken arm in transport. Stuff happens. Also recommend no face masks as they had a tendency to come off in shipping and a few got lost. Think of using a standard Tudor painted team or a team that is extra in your collection. You can set up your team any way you want. You can use an 11 player iron man team, or you can have a 40+ man roster. It’s up to you. Best to be sure to have a starting line up with positions noted included with your team. Play the game as you would your own solitaire league - penalties, fumbles, injuries whatever you use.

I’m looking for 10 coaches, each with one team. The way this works is I’ll have a schedule set up. 5 coaches will get to play a game the first week. Everyone will mail their team to the coach that will play a game with them. After they are finished with their game, they will mail the teams to 2 different coaches who will then play their game for week 2. This will be a 10 ‘week’ schedule so each coach will get to play 5 games, one of which will be with their own team. Each team will play all the other teams once (9 games) and the last week will be a repeat of the first weeks games, except the games will be played by a different coach. At the end of the season, the 2 best teams will play for the championship by a neutral coach. I recommend using the US Post Office small Priority boxes for $7.50 so figure about $75 for the season though I suppose Fed Ex or UPS might be cheaper. Also be sure to cushion the players with bubble wrap or a cloth so they don’t bounce all around in the box. I’m going to install a strict 3 week time limit for each ‘week’. This will give 3 or 4 days to ship the team, about 2 weeks to play your game and another 3-4 days to ship them out again. Some guys got a little lazy last time, so I’m trying to find guys who can commit to being on time as much as possible. The main goal is just to have fun and enjoy playing with other teams. 

23 minutes ago, Ravenna Al said:

I have Scott Hooper, Chris Fields, Chris LeMay and myself so far. Still have 6 slots open. You in Paul? Looking to start the season sometime in January. Any other coaches interested??????

Assuming I get my board in time, I'm game. I'm going to order one after I finish Christmas shopping.

I have two quick questions: are Mag-bases allowed (obviously while keeping the figs under 4 grams) and should we include TTQB/Passing figures?

53 minutes ago, Ravenna Al said:

I don’t know what a Mag base is. You can include a TTQB if you want. Last time, I don’t remember anyone including one. The coaches just used their own, but you are free to include one. I plan on having a kicker for my team, and maybe a separate QB to pass with. 

Sorry, I meant a base with a magnet underneath for stationary DBs, LBs, and QBs. Some coaches hate them, and some play with plastic fields so they're moot.

Edited by Paul Kian

I see no problem with a stationary base for the QB when passing. I would include one magnetic and one that maybe had it’s prongs removed for anyone playing on a non-metal board.  Like I said, you will play your games under your rules, while others will play with their rules, so they might use a magnetic base, or the one with the prongs removed or some other form. It’ll be up to them. Last time I played some games with passing sticks and others with passing dice. It all worked out in the end and the better teams usually won. Just for your info, my games were 15 play quarters (I usually play 20 plays per quarter but cut it down to be sure I got the games finished on time) I also have penalties and fumbles and played out the punts and kicked the field goals with my kickers. The best part was seeing the other coaches teams. Chris Fields had the best looking one. His Boston Stranglers were gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Well, since Al opened the door, here's my fishing story:

A Fishing Story, by Troutbum

Well, back during hurricanes Frances and Ivan in the Fall of 2004, it rained for forty days and forty nights. My little town of Canton, NC flooded when the Pigeon River left its banks. The water level rose above all of the bridges, and got as high as the fifth row of seats at Canton Memorial Stadium. The neighboring Haywood County town of Waynesville NC has a reservoir up in the mountains on Allens Creek, and the dam was in danger of bursting, threatening the town with great loss. Now the Waynesville Watershed has the best drinking water in the world, so they tell me. It is a pristine watershed, with several tributaries coming down the mountain to form Allens Creek. No fishing, hunting, or even hiking is allowed anywhere in the entire watershed, and all of the creeks are chock-full of speckled trout (Southern Appalachian Brook Trout). The mayor of Waynesville called the mayor of Canton asking for any help he could provide. The mayor of Canton replied with "I know a guy!"

Well ordinarily, Canton and Waynesville are at odds with each other, especially in the Fall, because there are only two high school football teams in the county - the Pisgah Black Bears in Canton and the Tuscola Mountaineers in Waynesville. These two teams have had one of the biggest rivalries in high school sports since they were established in 1966. When these two teams play each other, as many as 15,000 people show up. The person with the winning fifty-fifty ticket takes home anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000. It would be a great time to commit a crime anywhere in Haywood County because the entire police force of both towns and the county will be at the game! Just go to Google or YouTube and search "Pisgah-Tuscola rivalry" to see how big this thing really is. I grew up in western Buncombe County and went to Erwin High School (Go Warriors!) so I didn't have a dog in this fight. In 1990 I moved to Canton after I married a Pisgah girl, bought season tickets to Pisgah football games, and became a Black Bear fan. However, ten years later I got a job teaching history and coaching soccer at Tuscola, and I have been a Mountaineer ever since.

Well, when the Canton mayor called me up and explained the dire situation to me, I knew what I had to do. I told him to "meet me up at the reservoir with as many dump trucks as you can muster, filled with water", grabbed my fly rod and vest, and headed for the reservoir as fast as my little Sentra would go. There was one truck waiting for me when I got there. We drove up to where Allens Creek runs into the lake, and I started fishing. We put every trout I caught into the water in the dump truck’s bed. When that one was full, it was quickly replaced by another one. In two hours, I filled up twenty dump trucks with speckled trout and the water level in the lake dropped ten feet! Thus, using my knowledge of Archimedes’ Principle and my superior fly fishing skills, did I save the town of Waynesville from disaster.  

What in the world did we do with twenty dump trucks full of speckled trout? I’m glad you asked! We have more speckled trout in Haywood County than we know what to do with, so we sent some trucks down to the mountains of South Carolina and Georgia to restore speckled trout populations there, and we sent some trucks clean over to the mountains of Kentucky to establish populations there. You can look it up!

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 11:14 AM, NO Dave said:

If you want, I can set you up a league page here in the Forum. 

Sorry to overlook you Dave. Yes, that would be great. I’ll get back with you when I’m ready to start the league. Thanks for doing this. Give me a couple of weeks. Again, thank you. This will be fantastic! 👍👍😊

• Like 1

Hi all,

I first have to apologize, as unfortunately I am probably going to have to sit this season out. I'm still saving up extra money for a board but I probably won't have it in until February and I don't want to hold you guys up. January has been a rough month in my company, and I've had a lot of rainout days since the beginning of December (I work in construction).

If anything changes I'll let you all know, but it looks like there are at least a few more coaches that are in since I first responded so that's good.