Franchise Player(s)

BlueHen

Has anyone else experimented with (or at least heard of) the idea of having a player or two on each team that's like a hall of fame type player? 

It's an idea I began brainstorming about last Summer, but I didn't really have a solid way of implementing it. After watching a video by a man who goes by "Electric Football Hero" (EFH) on Youtube, I realized I wasn't alone in my thinking, LOL.

Basically, EFH came up with a system that allows a player at any given position to have a distinct ability that could change the tide of the game in much the same way a future Hall of Famer or Superstar player would do. The system EFH created though, is partially based on a cumulative point system over the course of a season. So, in a case where you're just playing a 1 and done type scenario against a friend (or Solitaire), you'd have to alter or modify that part of the Special ability.

You can see each positions ability beginning on page 94 of the EFHL Rule book (4th Edition).

Also, he tries to explain it in a video (it's a little unclear, but you should get the gist of it here). 

Just wanting to see what you experts think and get some feedback

Thanks,

Brian

EFHL 4th Edition Rule Book (1).pdf

17 hours ago, BlueHen said:

man who goes by "Electric Football Hero" (EFH) on Youtube,

I can't watch his videos. He just rambles on and on and on and on... 😴💤

Have you seen his video where he complains about being banned from the Tudor Forum?  He just goes on and on and on and on... 😴💤

17 hours ago, BlueHen said:

having a player or two on each team that's like a hall of fame type player?

These are the peeps you build your team around. Just look at your statistics sheets for each game. The Hall of Famers standout very quickly.

In your league do peeps enter free agency and could another coach offer that peep a higher salary?

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 3

Not to pile on another Coach out there but EFH has a negative streak I just can’t abide. I am on the forum and in electric football in general to take myself away from the problems and negativity out there, so I stay away from politics, religion, and breeds of dogs. If I was one to want to hear someone rail about what a sycophant I am, and how I will accept anything with the name Tudor on it, I would be a miserable coach, indeed. 
Now, about HOF players, I have a few show up on some teams and I know when another team plays against that players team, I’m in for something special! You just gotta know where those players reside. Coach T43 is usually a bit more succinct and in depth with his analysis and I trust his commentary. 
Have fun!

Journey On!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terry43 said:

No, I totally get it. 😜

Did you check out the EFHL rulebook? The part I'm referring to begins on page 94 and only goes for about 2 or 3 pages. Most likely, I'll take what he's created and modify it so that it fits the "house rules" better. :referee:

However, the idea of having 1 or 2 players on each roster with special abilities like being able to make an extra pivot even while being blocked for a defensive lineman, or having the ability to "lunge" at a ball carrier during a given stoppage (lunge being defined as being within a base length or width) to me adds an extra dynamic to the game. Otherwise, I see it as almost being communism in the sense that everyone has the exact same ability, LOL.

Currently, I'm working on building an 8 team league that features mostly Super Bowl champions (mainly from the 80's). Since all these teams were so talented, it only seems fitting to have more than one player with a special abilities. I mean, the 85' Bears probably could have the entire front 7 on defense be franchised, but I'm gonna' start with 2 and go from there...

• Like 3

Coach BlueHen,

That sound intriguing! I look forward to pictures and or videos, ( I was a horrible AV guy in the days, so I just go with the occasional pictorial 😁), and posts about your progress! I see where you are heading with this idea and having an L.T. Lurking out there as a game changer is an interesting proposition.

Good luck and have fun!

Journey On! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

Coach BlueHen,

That sound intriguing! I look forward to pictures and or videos, ( I was a horrible AV guy in the days, so I just go with the occasional pictorial 😁), and posts about your progress! I see where you are heading with this idea and having an L.T. Lurking out there as a game changer is an interesting proposition.

Good luck and have fun!

Journey On! 

Haha! Exactly right Coach Daryl. 💯

L.T. is one of the main inspirations for this idea. In fact, with him and Joe Montana, I was actually considering giving each of the both franchise abilities, so instead of being able to use their special moves once per game, they would be able to use them twice per game since I see them as the G.O.A.T.'s (Greatest Of All Time). 💪👊😎

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, Terry43 said:

Have you seen his video where he complains about being banned from the Tudor Forum?  He just goes on and on and on and on... 😴💤

These are the peeps you build your team around. Just look at your statistics sheets for each game. The Hall of Famers standout very quickly.

In your league do peeps enter free agency and could another coach offer that peep a higher salary?

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

Agreed Terry!  There should never be a doubt as to the HOF Players are. They are the go-to guys that shake and make the game what it is. Those are the guys we can brag about to people who know nothing about electric football. They are distinctive members of an elite team or those who are playmakers and game changers! in the LIEFL it is the coaches who make the choices. We have a very organized way of doing things. Levi!

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 5:44 PM, Long island EFL said:

Agreed Terry!  There should never be a doubt as to the HOF Players are. They are the go-to guys that shake and make the game what it is. Those are the guys we can brag about to people who know nothing about electric football. They are distinctive members of an elite team or those who are playmakers and game changers! in the LIEFL it is the coaches who make the choices. We have a very organized way of doing things. Levi!

It's being creative and thinking outside the box, so I can't expect everyone to understand the concept. It's more like a role playing game, and also more realistic when you factor in players who have more ability than others, because that's how life is, and that's how football is. If you're not ready for it, you're not ready for it...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BlueHen said:

It's being creative and thinking outside the box, so I can't expect everyone to understand the concept. It's more like a role playing game, and also more realistic when you factor in players who have more ability than others, because that's how life is, and that's how football is. If you're not ready for it, you're not ready for it...

Of course! ALways an open mind. What matters is what you want to make of it!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Long island EFL said:

Of course! ALways an open mind. What matters is what you want to make of it!  

Just as long as it's still realistic though, LOL.

Obviously, one can get carried away with specifics and details or distracted with concepts that are only meant to support the main theme, so my goal was to find a balance. We'll see...

• Like 1

In my solitaire league, I don't go out of my way to designate a HOF player, but they do show up in my league over a number of seasons, based on how I rate players each year before I assign their bases.  Over the course of each season, the best players show up in the statistics for each position.  Using those statistics is how I select All Pro and All Star teams each season.  When I rate players before each season, I take into account how each player has done in my prior seasons (All Pro seasons, All star selections, leading the league in such areas as rushing yards, rushing average, passing yards, TDs, interceptions, tackles, etc.  I also use info from Pro Football Refernce.com at times, as well as my own prejudices 😜).  As a result of my rating each year, the best players get the best bases, which generally results in those players doing well the next season.  There are outliers, of course. For instance a top rated back may end up on a team with a mediocre offensive line, so he may not have the season expected of him.  An example of this in real football could be Archie Manning of the New Orleans Saints back in the day - great QB on a mediocre team most of his career.)  Also, there are times when a lower rated back may have a career season, based on the players surrounding him. Over the course of a career, the individual's stats will determine if he is HOF material or not. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlueHen said:

Just as long as it's still realistic though,

I believe "realistic" to the NFL is a good jumping off point, but perhaps not the Holy Grail. The FAT8 League actually has injuries.

FAT8 INJURY REPORT

Here we track injuries across the conference. Injuries can often times hurt a teams depth chart. This is why it is so important to prepare your back-up players to be ready to play.

FAT8 is a very active league (and fun League) created by Jamie Ellerbe. I think injuries are an example of taking 'realistic' too far. Just my opinion. I use nuts, washers, and bolts on my players so obviously realism isn't part of my value system.

I'm more inclined to run over my plastic peeps with my chair. I dial 911 and a minute later some super glue usually takes care of the injury.

Enjoy the Journey. T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

In my solitaire league, I don't go out of my way to designate a HOF player, but they do show up in my league over a number of seasons, based on how I rate players each year before I assign their bases.  Over the course of each season, the best players show up in the statistics for each position.  Using those statistics is how I select All Pro and All Star teams each season.  When I rate players before each season, I take into account how each player has done in my prior seasons (All Pro seasons, All star selections, leading the league in such areas as rushing yards, rushing average, passing yards, TDs, interceptions, tackles, etc.  I also use info from Pro Football Refernce.com at times, as well as my own prejudices 😜).  As a result of my rating each year, the best players get the best bases, which generally results in those players doing well the next season.  There are outliers, of course. For instance a top rated back may end up on a team with a mediocre offensive line, so he may not have the season expected of him.  An example of this in real football could be Archie Manning of the New Orleans Saints back in the day - great QB on a mediocre team most of his career.)  Also, there are times when a lower rated back may have a career season, based on the players surrounding him. Over the course of a career, the individual's stats will determine if he is HOF material or not. 

You see? These are minor details that to me, make the overall concept more exciting. That's a subtle, but effective way of showing how not all players are the same and it affects the overall gameplan as a result. Thanks for sharing. 👍

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Terry43 said:

I believe "realistic" to the NFL is a good jumping off point, but perhaps not the Holy Grail. The FAT8 League actually has injuries.

FAT8 is a very active league (and fun League) created by Jamie Ellerbe. I think injuries are an example of taking 'realistic' too far. Just my opinion. I use nuts, washers, and bolts on my players so obviously realism isn't part of my value system.

I'm more inclined to run over my plastic peeps with my chair. I dial 911 and a minute later some super glue usually takes care of the injury.

Enjoy the Journey. T43.   🏈♾️

😂

Coach Terry. You've got to be the most enjoyable coach to play against: win, lose or draw. 💯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My league does include injuries.  I have a system, based on how many tackling players (actually touching the ball carrier's base) and how many assisters (defensive players touching the tacklers' bases) are involved in the play.  Injuries can amount to a series, 1-3 quarters, 1-10 games, a season, or a career.  This, of course, may affect a player/s chances at making the Hall of Fame, if he has too many injuries over the course of a career.  Fortunately, so far in 7 1/2 seasons, no one has sustained a career ending injury (involves six tacklers and 3 assisters).  There have been a few season ending injuries.  One of the many reasons I have 53 man rosters with individual plastic players and bases. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

no one has sustained a career ending injury (involves six tacklers and 3 assisters)

Aaaagghhh! Six tacklers and 3 assisters is more like a life-ending injury. 😉

So, that's injuries on offense. How about defensive players. How do they get injured? 

Penalties are another aspect of real football that I'm not concerned about in my solitaire play. I set up the offense and the defense so any penalties would be on me. Then I start talking to myself...  🤪

I believe Chris LeMay uses cards for penalties. 🃏  How do you do penalties?

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 2

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I roll a die to determine whether its offense or defense that sustains the injury and then roll again for the ball carrier or blocker on offense, or the tackler or assister on defense.

It's a little complicated.  I use four dice to determine the offensive formation and whether it's run or pass. I roll the same four dice to determine the defensive formation and pass coverage.  I have a table that covers what the numbers from 4-24 denote for the offense and defense.  One die has an O on one side and an X on another side and one die has a D on one side and an X on another side, while the other two dice have X's on one side.  Penalties occur if a role comes up with an O or D and one, two, or three X's.  One X equals offsides either on the offense (O) or defense (D), two X's on a run means holding on the offense or defense and on a pass means holding on the offense and interference on the defense, and three X's means a personal foul.  X's don't count if neither the O or D comes up.  If both O and D come up, it is offsetting penalties and I re-roll offense and defense for the next play.  I've been using this system for decades, so I'm used to it, but just reading what I wrote sounds confusing even to me.  Sorry. 🙂 Invariably, penalties arise at the worst times!

Edited by RickLM30

I love hearing all the different rules and perspectives of other coaches. Such creativity! My injuries and penalties are very limited. For injuries, pretty much only the QB can sustain an injury in my solitaire league. When my QB takes the snap, and fades back, I take his base off at the point where I want him to set up and survey the field. Being without a base may make the player bounce around depending on his proximity to the motor. Should he fall over, he is injured and out for the rest of the game. This happens very rarely. And even more rarely, if a ball carrier takes a particularly big hit and falls down, he will be considered injured, and I make a determination of how long he will be out for. As for penalties, an Onside kick penalty occurs when the kick doesn't go at least 10 yards. And finally, the home team can issue one 5 yard penalty per game at the time of their choosing. Either a false start on the opposing offense, or an offsides on the opposing defense. It needs to be called before the play is run. This penalty is to simulate crowd noise and give the home team a small advantage. I may have forgotten something, but I think that's it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bob Davis said:

I love hearing all the different rules and perspectives of other coaches. Such creativity! My injuries and penalties are very limited. For injuries, pretty much only the QB can sustain an injury in my solitaire league. When my QB takes the snap, and fades back, I take his base off at the point where I want him to set up and survey the field. Being without a base may make the player bounce around depending on his proximity to the motor. Should he fall over, he is injured and out for the rest of the game. This happens very rarely. And even more rarely, if a ball carrier takes a particularly big hit and falls down, he will be considered injured, and I make a determination of how long he will be out for. As for penalties, an Onside kick penalty occurs when the kick doesn't go at least 10 yards. And finally, the home team can issue one 5 yard penalty per game at the time of their choosing. Either a false start on the opposing offense, or an offsides on the opposing defense. It needs to be called before the play is run. This penalty is to simulate crowd noise and give the home team a small advantage. I may have forgotten something, but I think that's it. 

Interesting that you bring up the idea of crowd noise and home field advantage. The person who inspired my concept of "Franchise players" (I won't mention his name, LOL) created a rule book that includes that very idea. Each position has a special ability, and the Guards on the offensive line and the ends on the defensive are the ones that help a visiting team to be less susceptible to said problem. Both can be found on page 95 of the EHFL rulebook.

Another idea is icing the kicker with timeouts. I think the defensive coach has to call a timeout to get inside the kickers head by rolling a certain number on the dice. That's on page 93 if interested: file:///C:/Users/13022/Downloads/EFHL%204th%20Edition%20Rule%20Book%20(1)%20(2).pdf

• Like 3

Icing the Kicker... I must admit my little plastic peeps do get nervous... I encourage them to go behind the bleachers and do whatever they need to do...

EFHero supplemental rule...

Icing the Kicker; This optional rule simulates the mental head games that coaches often play against an opposing team's placekicker during critical field goal attempts or Point-after tries (this does NOT apply to punts or kickoffs). Prior to any field goal attempt or PAT, if the defensive coach calls a timeout just before the snap, the placekicker must perform a 1d20 Ability Check with a Target Number of 12, subject to all modifiers (remember, a placekicker with 50 or more PR points gains a +1 bonus to all Ability Checks).

I think this is just dandy. I believe we could make it a bit more complex by adding a dice throw (d20) to account for wind velocity and soggy field conditions (Field Goal kicking is on Page 40). So, to attempt the Field Goal there's 1. the initial roll of the dice to discover if the kick is long enough, 2. and then we roll for the Wind Velocity. Anything over 16 is Gale Force and the kick is missed, Except if the kicker is a franchise player then the Gale Force number is 18. 😉 3. We should take into account the soggy field with another roll of the d20 dice. Anything over 16 is totally swampy and the kick is missed except if the kicker is a franchise kicker then the soggy field number is 18. 😉

That's a bit too realistic for me, but I understand that many coaches enjoy that level of realism.

I don't have timeouts. If I need to think about my next action I simply stop and think about it. If I decide to go for the Field Goal then I roll the dice. Here are my rules. The rules are in the Terry43 Forum profile.

• A D6 determines the first number (2 —6).
  • A D10 determines the second number (0—9).
  • The yardage is measured from the line of scrimmage.
  • For a Field Goal to be good the yardage rolled must be longer than the actual yards of the Field Goal attempt.
  • If the yards rolled are less than the actual yards of the Field Goal attempt then the Field Goal was missed.
  • A missed field goal may be returned by the defense.
  • In effect, every Field Goal attempt is either good, or blocked.

Franchise Player.

This player is usually (but not always) the most talented, popular and marketable player on the team, although he may also be a selfish and controversial diva whose shenanigans are only tolerated due to his productivity on the field.

I thought you'd like to know that all my little plastic peeps are never selfish, never controversial, and they never participate in shenanigans. They have been known to misunderstand the play and run in the wrong direction. 🤪

Enjoy the Journey    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terry43 said:

I thought you'd like to know that all my little plastic peeps are never selfish, never controversial, and they never participate in shenanigans. They have been known to misunderstand the play and run in the wrong direction. 🤪

Well, all mine are!!! And yes, they still run in the opposite direction or straight for the sideline when they smell the goal line with absolutely no one around them. 

• Like 3

What about straight ahead (Tom Dempsey, Sam Baker, George Blanda, Jim Bakken, etc.) versus soccer style kickers?  Any special rules along those lines?  Most of the kickers (all?) are soccer style kickers these days for a reason...😉🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Icing the Kicker... I must admit my little plastic peeps do get nervous... I encourage them to go behind the bleachers and do whatever they need to do...

Ha! I think I'll avoid commenting on that one Coach...

11 hours ago, Terry43 said:

I think this is just dandy. I believe we could make it a bit more complex by adding a dice throw (d20) to account for wind velocity and soggy field conditions (Field Goal kicking is on Page 40). So, to attempt the Field Goal there's 1. the initial roll of the dice to discover if the kick is long enough, 2. and then we roll for the Wind Velocity. Anything over 16 is Gale Force and the kick is missed, Except if the kicker is a franchise player then the Gale Force number is 18. 😉 3. We should take into account the soggy field with another roll of the d20 dice. Anything over 16 is totally swampy and the kick is missed except if the kicker is a franchise kicker then the soggy field number is 18. 😉

Coach T, surely you remember the infamous "Snow Plow" game, eh? 

• Like 1