Home field advantage

Greg F

I only did one thing for home field advantage.  Instead of a coin flip, I use a 20 sided dice.  1-11 goes to home team.  12-20 goes to away team.

So, that’d 55% instead of 50%.

I do make 5 European games like the NFL just for the fun if it.  Those go to coin flip.

Obviously, SuperBowl will be a coin flip.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

I really think eventually Jacksonville may move to London. I also believe the next expansion in the NFL will be to Europe. The NFL and American Football is very popular in Europe and every year they are adding more games played in Europe.

I agree

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

I really think eventually Jacksonville may move to London. I also believe the next expansion in the NFL will be to Europe. The NFL and American Football is very popular in Europe and every year they are adding more games played in Europe.

Too much revenue for the NFL to turn down 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:39 AM, nefgm.org said:

Shahid Rafiq Khan is the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL) and Fulham F.C. of the Premier League, founded in 1879, they are London's oldest professional football club. Khan is also co-owner of the American wrestling promotion All Elite Wrestling(AEW), 

Khan is a U.S. citizen so I don't think he will move the Jaguars to London, but he does own the British version of football which is played without pads.

American football may be popular in Europe, but not profitable. Remember NFL Europa? NFL Europa gave us Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme but ultimately NFL Europa failed. "On July 29, 2007, less than a week after World Bowl XV, the NFL announced the closure of NFL Europa. The league had been losing a reported US$30 million a year, and the NFL had decided to shift their strategy in marketing football abroad towards holding NFL regular-season games outside the United States." Wikipedia

I believe the real obstacle to American Football in Europe is soccer. Soccer already has international prominence and in the United States it is becoming more and more popular. Boys and girls can play soccer and soccer doesn't require expensive equipment. In the park across from my house I see 3- and 4-year olds learning to play. It's actually quite funny to watch them kick a soccer ball. The ball kinda of bounces them back. 😃

Finally, the NFL is starting to resemble AEW and WWE. 😪

That's okay. I agree with Daryl.

8 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

My favorite years of focus and what I tend to number my teams by are all pre-2000. 

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

I’m to the point where whatever the NFL does doesn’t concern me whatsoever. I’ll keep up with the NFL because I’ve done so for 50+ years. My favorite years of focus and what I tend to number my teams by are all pre-2000. 

Daryl, I am with you. I watch very little NFL anymore. The only team I ever give very much concern to are the Titans and then only after the regular season starts. I don't get all caught up in the draft or the preseason. 

Because I grew up in the 1960's and 70's, that is the only era of professional football that I have extensively studied the history of. It is the era of the pre-merger AFL and NFL and the era of the WFL. My favorite solitaire leagues are composed of the teams and the rosters of this era.

It is also the era of electric football and Tudor Games that brings back my fondest memories of the playing the game.  

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Shahid Rafiq Khan is the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL) and Fulham F.C. of the Premier League, founded in 1879, they are London's oldest professional football club. Khan is also co-owner of the American wrestling promotion All Elite Wrestling(AEW), 

Khan is a U.S. citizen so I don't think he will move the Jaguars to London, but he does own the British version of football which is played without pads.

American football may be popular in Europe, but not profitable. Remember NFL Europa? NFL Europa gave us Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme but ultimately NFL Europa failed. "On July 29, 2007, less than a week after World Bowl XV, the NFL announced the closure of NFL Europa. The league had been losing a reported US$30 million a year, and the NFL had decided to shift their strategy in marketing football abroad towards holding NFL regular-season games outside the United States." Wikipedia

I believe the real obstacle to American Football in Europe is soccer. Soccer already has international prominence and in the United States it is becoming more and more popular. Boys and girls can play soccer and soccer doesn't require expensive equipment. In the park across from my house I see 3- and 4-year olds learning to play. It's actually quite funny to watch them kick a soccer ball. The ball kinda of bounces them back. 😃

I understand what you’re saying, but NFL Europe was a minor league program.  Only my opinion, but I think there is a lot of money to be made in London off the real deal NFL.  

I went to one Arena League game and one USFL game.  I didn’t want to go back.  I’d have mostly likely felt the sand about NFL Europe

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Do you mean that you think it’s scripted?  I sometimes feel that way lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Greg F said:

Do you mean that you think it’s scripted?

I don't believe that... Yet. Have you watched Good Morning Football on the NFL channel? That's what I mean. I don't watch Monday Night Football anymore because the ESPN announcers have the same 'carnival' persona as WWE.

I do find it interesting that the NFL released a commercial where the tagline was, "You can't make this stuff up."

Maybe the owners are feeling a bit guilty.

• Like 1

I refused to believe there was no Jolly Fatman before I was ten. Then I chose to believe again later on. I don’t believe the NFL is scripted but then I see a game like the Saints return to the Super Dome. Hmmmm. I’m a lot like Chris. My NFL was a long time ago, and I dearly hold to those memories. BTW. RIP Dick Butkus. He was part of MY NFL.

I just heard the Chiefs referred to as the Swifties.

Yall chew on that one for a minute.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

RIP Dick Butkus.

I too would rather wrestle a grizzly bear than be tackled by Dick Butkus. RIP

2 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

the Swifties

I'd say the name is Taylor-made for the Chiefs. 😉

• Like 5

On 10/6/2023 at 11:20 AM, nefgm.org said:

Daryl, I am with you. I watch very little NFL anymore. The only team I ever give very much concern to are the Titans and then only after the regular season starts. I don't get all caught up in the draft or the preseason. 

Because I grew up in the 1960's and 70's, that is the only era of professional football that I have extensively studied the history of. It is the era of the pre-merger AFL and NFL and the era of the WFL. My favorite solitaire leagues are composed of the teams and the rosters of this era.

It is also the era of electric football and Tudor Games that brings back my fondest memories of the playing the game.  

Thank you for sharing Coach Chris (and all other coaches on this thread). That's been my sentiment as well. Personally, I grew up in the 80's, so that's the era that appeals to me the most...

However, I do plan on having at least one 1970's team (Pittsburgh Steelers), and I do already have a Cowboys team that includes players like Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson and Randy White from the 78 Super Bowl team, as well as other players from the 80's and early 90's. And, at some point, I'd like to get Bart Starr and the boys from the 66' packer team. And ITZ has a roaring 20's era team that would like nice in any Electric Football team arsenal: https://itzbases.com/roaring-20s-figures/ 

• Like 4

My rosters start at or around 1978. I'll snag a player here and there a few years after and even one or two from before 1978. That's when I got my 660 Super Bowl board with the Steelers and Cowboys and additionally the AFC Central and the NFC West teams. I was 13. Season 1 would have had 9 teams but then my buddy offered the Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and Colts for my Oilers. Yes, he liked the Oilers that much! So, Season 1 had 12 teams. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob Davis said:

My rosters start at or around 1978. I'll snag a player here and there a few years after and even one or two from before 1978. That's when I got my 660 Super Bowl board with the Steelers and Cowboys and additionally the AFC Central and the NFC West teams. I was 13. Season 1 would have had 9 teams but then my buddy offered the Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and Colts for my Oilers. Yes, he liked the Oilers that much! So, Season 1 had 12 teams. 

There's no question Earl Campbell would have been the most popular player for a lot of E.F. coaches, but I bet he regretted that trade when the Eagles went to the Super Bowl in 80', followed by the rise of the Redskins dynasty and then there's that L.T. guy up in New York who let's just say made an impact. 💪👊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlueHen said:

There's no question Earl Campbell would have been the most popular player for a lot of E.F. coaches

He proposed the trade when my Earl Campbell ran all over his mighty Raiders in an inter-league game. 😁 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 11:20 AM, nefgm.org said:

Daryl and nefgm, I'm with you guys.  My league has players from 1960 through 1999.  I have 16 teams with rosters of 53 players, so I have plenty of room for my favorite players and stars of the league.  Other than the Eagles and Packers (followed them since 1960), I really don't watch the NFL anymore - It got to be too much dancin' and prancin' just for making a tackle on the field, and it's turning into too much like touch football for my taste. I stick with my solitaire league, which keeps me plenty busy (along with the seemingly endless honey-dos my wife assigns me!  😄

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

Daryl and nefgm, I'm with you guys.  My league has players from 1960 through 1999.  I have 16 teams with rosters of 53 players, so I have plenty of room for my favorite players and stars of the league.  Other than the Eagles and Packers (followed them since 1960), I really don't watch the NFL anymore - It got to be too much dancin' and prancin' just for making a tackle on the field, and it's turning into too much like touch football for my taste. I stick with my solitaire league, which keeps me plenty busy (along with the seemingly endless honey-dos my wife assigns me!  😄

I’ve played fantasy football for 21 years, so I actually watch all I can.  Lol

• Like 2

Necessity is the mother of invention, right? Well tonight saw me needing to add another small item to my home teams for home field advantage and as usual, I have to reason it out in Notebook 1st so it will make sense to you all. Let me begin with a couple of quotes. On 10/6/2023 at 2:03 AM, Daryl Collins said: "I’m to the point where whatever the NFL does doesn’t concern me whatsoever." and NEFGM.ORG said: "I watch very little NFL anymore." I used to watch football to influence my offense and defense formations and a few rules but not anymore.
We don't get sports at home as we only stream very few channels. The only game I watch is when I go over to a friend's house to watch the Superbowl. As far as football goes, I have all the professional football teams which play each other as the previous season results determine. So why bother watching football when I can play football anytime [Amen?!!!] and usually do as a quarter per day is the usual regimen. EF Rocks! 🙂 Ok, so here is the other home team advantage I now include.
If a home player is behind a home ball carrier but not touching, a passed lateral may be performed to keep the ball moving. If the ball hits the available player, that player runs until tackled, out of bounds, or scores. In this case, the ball hit the side of the board and bounced back into the field of play without touching anyone. Were it the visiting team on offense, the ball would have been marked at the point it went out of bounds. 
However, since it rolled and stopped in the field of play [and as before I would have pivoted players to race to the ball which would have caused an additional loss of 6 yards for the home team], I have now decided that whatever point would give the home team the best advantage is where the next play will commence. Does this make sense? Blessings, Curt. 🙂

• Like 2

Yes, it all makes since. I like the rebound feature. I have used it at times. Depends I quess on how much sideline your game board has. A lot of electric football game boards have little to no sideline border with the sides of the framing determining the playing field boundaries. Others have very wide sidelines with bench areas as well. The official NFL boundary lines are 6' or 2 yards wide. 

The main thing though is to just do whatever makes the game more exciting and fun to play for you individually, 

• Like 2

Yeah, my Ultimate field has a wide sideline with a little bit of a lip on it, so I guess it was that lip that caused the bounce back. As always, I appreciate your input, thanks and have a blessed day. Curt

• Like 1