Tudor Fantasy League

Ravenna Al

Reaching out to Brian here. Miggle started it off when they came out with the London Union Jacks and Munich Moon Sharks. I don’t know how many of those 2 teams have been sold, but I think if there was an actual Tudor Fantasy League with 8-10 fantasy teams available, maybe it could work, especially for younger kids who aren’t up to the NFL, but would like to play with imaginary teams instead? I have a few ideas, like the Egypt Ra, New Zealand Zombies,  and the Hawaiian Fire Lizards for examples. Anyone else interested???.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ravenna Al said:

London Union Jacks and Munich Moon Sharks

These are my two favorites. I think I've bought about a dozen of each team. Regular and Big Men. The Union Jacks became my Welsh Dragons and the Moon Sharks became my Iron Horse.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.  🏈♾️

• Like 1

The London Union Jacks and the Munich Moon Sharks were introduced in 2007. 16 years later, they are still available and at a reduced price ($9 for the Union Jacks and $6 for the Moon Sharks - not sure why the difference). I have teams of each in the regular size and the 67 Big Men for the obvious reason that they are of historical significance and "artifacts" of the museum. Don't know what the initial inventories of them were, but obviously not big sellers. They were also introduced in the period right after Miggle lost the NFL License. 

As a collector, I am always interested in anything new Tudor Games has to offer, and of course I would buy a line of Fantasy Teams. As far as appealing to younger kids, I really kind of doubt it. The NFL and, more so now, College teams is where, I believe, the main focus needs to be in keeping electric football relevant and competitive in the Sports Board Games Market. 

• Like 2

A little background - If you remember, Miggle toys had produced a line of NCAA figures. The "Irish Babies" were Miggle's Notre Dame, because the Fighting Irish would not give MIggle a license to use the name. 

I had asked the Landsmans and Doug about producing a line of "Fantasy Teams" in the style that Ravenna Al describes, and neither went for it. I think both teams have sold steadily over time, and it's still worth considering for a "league" that EF can own without paying a royalty, and have in case things don't work out with other leagues. 

• Like 2

Yeah the "Irish Babes" were clearly the best sellers because of their resemblance to Notre Dame, but even they did not sell out until just a few years ago. I am all for a Fantasy League. But for it to be profitable for Tudor Games it would require a great deal of advertising and marketing that would require a great deal of investment. None of which they were willing to do in the past.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daryl Collins said:

So the reason I can’t seem to find the Babies is because of the Irish?😂 God forbid the current license for a certain league gets pulled! So those were the only 3 fantasy teams produced?

Yes, those were the only fantasy teams produced. I do recall Miggle coming up with some team names for their faux NFL teams, however I cannot find a list of them or any information for them. 

In case you are not familiar with Ravenna Al's Fantasy Solitaire League here is a list of his teams.

"Al Dunham’s WMLMF (Western Michigan League of Miniature Football), perhaps the most unique league in all of miniature football, with Flaming Fairies, Zombies, Cadavers, Werewolves, Sasquatch, Mennonites, Union Jacks, the Third Reich, Super Somos, Battlin’ Bozos, Sharks, Rams, Cows, Killer Bees, Arctic Tundra, Toxic Waste and RA (the Egyptian Sun God)."

Al participated in the SCPC (Solitaire Coaches Points Challenge) which was a national competition for solitaire coaches. I covered this league with my "Solitaire Illustrated" and "SCPC Gameday" publications. You can download them here: Solitaire Illustrated and SCPC Gameday – The National Electric Football Game Museum (nefgm.org)

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 9:41 AM, nefgm.org said:

Al participated in the SCPC (Solitaire Coaches Points Challenge) which was a national competition for solitaire coaches

He has some wild teams.

Also, I loved the SCPC .   Itwas fun to participate.  I believe my entry was my own fantasy NFL team, the Idaho Talons.

• Like 2

Chris, maybe we could try the Postal League again? I was going to set it up, but Covid came along so it got sidelined. It was fun. Set up your team to a max 4.0g per player and mail them to whoever was scheduled next. Different teams, playing on different boards by different coaches using different rules. What could be more challenging????

• Like 2

The other "Fantasy League" that we tried was an All-Time Player League. You could pick any NFL player from any era to be on your team, and you had the standard 16-"player" roster that is typical of Fantasy Football teams. 

The only catch was, once a player was drafted, that was it, he was out of the pool. So you couldn't have 3 teams with Joe Montana playing QB, or 2 teams with the '85 Bears Defense, for example. 

I thought that was a neat concept just to see who everyone would pick. 

• Like 2

The fantasy draft was fun. If I remember correctly, it all started off innocently when someone (Jimbo?) on the old Miggle chat board asked, if you could draft anyone from the past or present, who would you pick for your football team? Guys started chipping in with their picks, I think Jim Brown was the first pick, After a bit, it got suggested that you couldn't take someone that somebody else took. We went back and forth until we had a team of 25 or so players. I remember naming my team the Santa Cruz Tree Hugging Hippies and I had the most awesome running back in football history - Al Bundy - who once scored 4 touchdowns in a single game! About a year or so later we did it again with the intent of making that team our fantasy league team to use in a fantasy league tournament at the Miggle convention. That's where the Midwest Mennonites came from. They were Weirdwolf's fantasy team, and I made them for him. He told me to keep them for my fantasy league and are one of my favorites. My team from that draft is the New Zealand Zombies and is made entirely of my picks. I used to have the lists from both drafts, but they got lost when my laptop committed suicide some years back and I didn't have those files saved anywhere. I don't know how many people made teams from their picks, but it was a lot of fun having the draft.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Ravenna Al said:

our fantasy league team to use in a fantasy league tournament at the Miggle convention

Did the Fantasy League have the same rules?  🤔 Or did fantasy only refer to the team names? 🥸 I ask because all of my teams are fantasy teams 🦏🧟‍♀️👽🤖🐲 and the fantasy part extends to the rules as well. I use dice for passing. I use stop-forward-progress tackling. My weight limit is a maximum of 5 grams. I allow stacking. My Onsides kicks are very different but the kicking team has an excellent chance to recover.

I kind of like Arena League rules where the wide receiver starts 10 yards back. I haven't incorporated that yet, but it's on my mind. 🤪

We could make up fantasy rules to go with our fantasy teams.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

please remind me of your (Onsides Kick) procedure.

You bet. 😃👍

Both teams line up on their 35 yard line. I place my purple unicorn dice on the fifty yard line on the hashmark closest to me so I can see the action.

I turn on the motion generators.

The first player to touch the purple unicorn dice recovers the Onsides Kick.

The ball cannot be advanced.

Here are a couple of examples.

Enjoy the Journey.   T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, Terry43 said:

Did the Fantasy League have the same rules?  🤔 Or did fantasy only refer to the team names? 🥸 I ask because all of my teams are fantasy teams 🦏🧟‍♀️👽🤖🐲 and the fantasy part extends to the rules as well. I use dice for passing. I use stop-forward-progress tackling. My weight limit is a maximum of 5 grams. I allow stacking. My Onsides kicks are very different but the kicking team has an excellent chance to recover.

I kind of like Arena League rules where the wide receiver starts 10 yards back. I haven't incorporated that yet, but it's on my mind. 🤪

We could make up fantasy rules to go with our fantasy teams.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

The Fantasy League was going to be based on everyone's Fantasy Draft teams. The rules were going to be the standard MFCA rules used in the tournaments.  I think were going to use the 4.0 gram maximum per figure limit. 

• Thanks 1