What defines a tackle?

Greg F

What does everyone consider a tackle?  I’m seeing several different things come up in conversations such as forward progress, ‘electric slide”, front of base only, and only when the base is not moving down the field anymore at all.

• Like 1

Hi Greg, For my visiting teams, a tackle is any touch from a home team defender and to add a little bit of home team advantage, the electric slide [if applicable] is granted to a home team ball carrier after being touched anywhere by a visiting defender. Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Hi Greg, For my visiting teams, a tackle is any touch from a home team defender and to add a little bit of home team advantage, the electric slide [if applicable] is granted to a home team ball carrier after being touched anywhere by a visiting defender. Does that make sense?

Yes.  It does.  

Hi. I have a 1968 Tudor Electric Football Official Rules, that states: TACKLE: The ball carrier is considered tackled only when an opposing player touches his base.

The 2022 TOEPRO Rules use the same definition with different formatting. 

TACKLE The runner is considered tackled when:
 The standing opposing player's cleats or player platform touches ANY part of runner's cleats or player platform.

This is why I call it Touch Football. 

Here's a definition of Tackle for young people: The text is Copyright © 2017-2023 Rookie Road Inc. "A tackle in football is the action of a defensive player stopping the forward progress of an offensive ball carrier..."

Note the words "Stopping the Forward Progress." 

I believe a touch is an attempted tackle. Stopping forward progress is tackling and should be more persuasive. 💥 💫 Please see the video below. Thank you for the dialog. T43

• Like 1

I’m thinking maybe there’s a happy medium somewhere.  Maybe a solid front of base contact by a LB or DB in open field could be a tackle also?  Wouldn’t stop the forward progress, but allow for an “athletic” tackle.  

Edited by Greg F

I like the idea of stopping forward progress and all, but it's not always easy to call.  For a second? For a moment?  

We use the old Tudor rule of any contact to a ball carrier by a defender constitues a tackle.  Even that leads to a couple "discussions" per game in our league, but it works very well overall.

Before this season, I always used the official rule that Terry mentioned; a player is considered tackled when an opposing player's base touches the ball carriers base. As per a discussion on this forum, I changed the rule so that a parallel side to side touch is not a tackle. The thinking was that this would simulate a broken tackle. I have to say that I am very pleased with this change. It has opened up the running game considerably. 

• Like 1

I’m considering trying a couple of games in my solitaire offseason where a fully engaged defensive player cannot make a tackle.  Maybe even a partially engaged defender facing another direction.  

it doesn’t seem right for the OL to blow a big hole only to have a defender  to tackle the runner by the back of a defender’s base.  I’ll just have to tinker with the details.  

• Like 2

We define a tackle as the front of the defenders base or, any other part of two (or more) defenders bases, touching the ball carriers base. It's a compromise that seems to open up the running game a bit, but not too much.

That being said, I'm sure we got that rule from one of the forums somewhere along the line 🙂.