Stripping the paint off

Robert,

Under another topic, the Major said: "

I've finished up a big stripping and re-priming project.  Decided to strip down and repaint my entire collection.  I've got enough "blank" figures for about 10 full teams (22 players each) now.  Guess what I'll be doing for a while! 🙂

Started out by cleaning up all the figures--taking off any flashing edges and burrs as best I could.  Sanding down those lines pays dividends later.  Next came the stripping.  I stripped them in batches using Easy Off on most and alcohol on others.  Let me tell you, Easy Off is the way to go.  WEAR GLOVES and eye protection--seriously.  Next, wash and dry with soap and water.  I built a simple priming rig using just angled cardboard pieces.  Used a glossy white primer.  Voila!  All finished (just a portion are pictured).  They are all dry and separated by type in resealable bags waiting for me to build my teams."

In response to the Major, No Dave agreed that Easy Off was the way to go.  Hope this  helps. 

• Like 1

Robert, yes the easy off works like a champ.  Put the figures to be stripped into a sealable plastic container (like a tupperware) and spray the easy off on them while in the container.  You are going to use a lot of easy off.  The level of liquid/foam should cover the level of the figures.  I find it is best to limit the container to about 15-20 figures max.  Put the top back on, give it a gentle shake and let that sit one to two maybe three days as the most.  Next while wearing gloves and eye protection brush off the figures with a stiff brush--nylon gun cleaning brushes are preferred over steel brushes.  Stripping paint is not a task I enjoy.  The chemical will burn your skin if you get it on for too long.  If you get it in your eyes, drop everything and rinse them thoroughly.  Controlling the splatter while brushing can also be problematic.  But I've found nothing better.  The Electric Coach has a great video demo on this process if you can find it on Youtube.  It was either on there or on FB.  Either way, I found out about Easy Off from him.

• Like 2

Not trying to talk against Easy Off at all but there is another method.  LA Totally Awesome is a Yellow liqid you can get at Dollar General.  Fill a container and just drop in the figures to be stripped.  If they are the factory painted figures the solution will dissolve the paint away in a couple of days.  Just wash with soap and water afterward and let dry and you have a blank slate to work with.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 1:01 PM, Terry Popham said:

Not trying to talk against Easy Off at all but there is another method.  LA Totally Awesome is a Yellow liqid you can get at Dollar General.  Fill a container and just drop in the figures to be stripped.  If they are the factory painted figures the solution will dissolve the paint away in a couple of days.  Just wash with soap and water afterward and let dry and you have a blank slate to work with.

Ive had good success with the awesome......it is cheap and much safer to use....

• Like 2

On 8/1/2020 at 2:31 AM, Capanther said:

Ive had good success with the awesome......it is cheap and much safer to use....

I LOVE LA's Totally awesome.  Using it right now to strip some figures (they are soaking behind me).  However, for stubborn paints easy off is the master.  BUT LA's totally awesome is far far easier to use and generally speaking gives good results.

• Like 2