Defense line play

Nanook

Been working on my defense and in a 4-3 defense I have been having a lineman (my tallest players) drop into coverage and bringing a linebacker or db on a blitz.works well with a passing qb but not so well with passing sticks. Don’t think it works as well with a 3-4. I just use different blitzes.

anyone else do this?

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of dropping linemen into coverage.  I know some pro defenses do it, but not really sure how effective it is, unless you have Kevin Greene type who can play linebacker or defensive end.  I look at it that, for the most part, defensive linemen are defensive linemen for a reason... I prefer just to use various blitz packages with my linebackers, safeties, and sometimes corners.  Note, I use TTQBs and play solitaire.

• Like 1

I have seen and use a few easy ideas for this - 

1. I have my best rushing DE play slightly off the LOS, and anticipate the opposing blocker vacating the space so my blitzer can quickly move into the open gap. 

2. On a 3rd and long passing play, I have been know to turn the base around on my Nose Tackle during play setup. (I play almost exclusively a base 3-4). It's led to a few "How did he get out there?" questions. I'll also keep the MLB on a spin to make sure I'm not completely vulnerable in the middle of the field. 

6 hours ago, NO Dave said:

I have seen and use a few easy ideas for this - 

1. I have my best rushing DE play slightly off the LOS, and anticipate the opposing blocker vacating the space so my blitzer can quickly move into the open gap. 

2. On a 3rd and long passing play, I have been know to turn the base around on my Nose Tackle during play setup. (I play almost exclusively a base 3-4). It's led to a few "How did he get out there?" questions. I'll also keep the MLB on a spin to make sure I'm not completely vulnerable in the middle of the field. 

Here is a blitz I did several years ago in our league championship.
It was the last play of the first half and my opponent was in scoring range.   

I did not think he would risk a run.

I left his center uncovered so he would clear out.  I had my MLB aimed to blitz through this gap.

it worked perfectly and I got the sack!

You can see this video at:

skip to 6:21.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nanook said:

Very impressed with your play ,I like the idea of keeping some players uncovered to clear them out and then coming in behind them.

Thank you.  I practiced this play beforehand not knowing if the right situation would present itself.

I had the MLB back far enough that I hoped he wouldn’t notice my intention and far enough back to let his center get out of the way.

I knew exactly the angle to set the MLB.

Here's a similar concept.  Two against seven.  In this concept the DL scrapes across the face of the G while letting the LT and C to go free. 

1) The DL scrape redirects the G and opens the gap between C and G;

2) A backer swoops in to hit the gap and hits the QB;

3) The DL is a looper and is helped into the backfield by the G, hitting the RB (in this video the DL is tad late but you get the idea) You can also add another LB to fill.

4) You can add mirror this onto the other side as well and when its working it looks like a magic trick for the other coach.

This concept can be helped even further by the tendency for most coaches to set their lineman to push either straight or to have the guard doubleteam with their OT on a DT

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rollertaco said:

Here's a similar concept.  Two against seven.  In this concept the DL scrapes across the face of the G while letting the LT and C to go free. 

3) The DL is a looper and is helped into the backfield by the G, hitting the RB (in this video the DL is tad late but you get the idea) You can also add another LB to fill.

4) You can add mirror this onto the other side as well and when its working it looks like a magic trick for the other coach.

This concept can be helped even further by the tendency for most coaches to set their lineman to push either straight or to have the guard doubleteam with their OT on a DT

This is excellent, I love learning about D-Line Stunts, Twists, etc. If I was about 3 or 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier I would have loved playing D Line in highschool. 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rollertaco said:

Nice.  I like it.  
Also It’s hardcore that you make your team practice in the snow too!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coach Shawn said:

Nice.  I like it.  
Also It’s hardcore that you make your team practice in the snow too!

Ha!  I actually had a couple of design concept fields laying around.  That one is plain white.  You can draw on it with dryerase/whiteboard markers.  It's cool to design a play or mark ball placement for passing.    I also just grabbed random players and set them up rather than two scrimmage teams... sorry if that makes it confusing!

-David

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, rollertaco said:

Ha!  I actually had a couple of design concept fields laying around.  That one is plain white.  You can draw on it with dryerase/whiteboard markers.  It's cool to design a play or mark ball placement for passing.    I also just grabbed random players and set them up rather than two scrimmage teams... sorry if that makes it confusing!

-David

That is a cool idea as well.  
you could trace your players actual movement and set up schemes accordingly.

• Like 3