Storing bases

As EF coaches know, bases are important for optimal gameplay, but there must be some precautions taken to preserve the tweaked bases....

When I spoke with Joel Pritchard, he recommended I not keep the bases upright (especially with players on them) when I'm not playing the game because it can cause the prongs to go back to their original shape and lose their new tweaked form. So, he suggested I lay them on their sides...

My question to you more experienced EF coaches, is where do you like to store them? Is a tackle box (fishing) a good idea? What are some other places to keep those precious bases so you can transport them while keeping them protected? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlueHen said:

he suggested I lay them on their sides

Joel gave you good advice. A tackle box is okay. Cigar boxes are classic box adaptations.  When I was a kid I used empty matchboxes. The type of box probably doesn't matter as long as the players aren't resting on the prongs.

I use Spacemaker boxes so I can decorate the box to match the team. Kind of like a Team Bus, or Team 747. My Metallians just played the Knights in White Satin.

100_4679.png.f93522f4dff2364d13ec7019cc9b589f.png100_4680.png.b8a2af7ab7a3a5b2a19d6da15c15a50d.png100_4681.png.e10771259ac37e6a9ec91d3c12cc9b5e.png

Enjoy the Journey     T43    🏈♾️

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Joel gave you good advice. A tackle box is okay. Cigar boxes are classic box adaptations.  When I was a kid I used empty matchboxes. The type of box probably doesn't matter as long as the players aren't resting on the prongs.

I use Spacemaker boxes so I can decorate the box to match the team. Kind of like a Team Bus, or Team 747. My Metallians just played the Knights in White Satin.

100_4679.png.f93522f4dff2364d13ec7019cc9b589f.png100_4680.png.b8a2af7ab7a3a5b2a19d6da15c15a50d.png100_4681.png.e10771259ac37e6a9ec91d3c12cc9b5e.png

Enjoy the Journey     T43    🏈♾️

Nice. Thanks Coach. Yeah, I guess being creative about it too isn't bad, eh? There's probably more than one way to skin a cat (just for the record though - I don't condone cruelty to animals 😉).

BTW, who won that game. It looks like it took place on the frozen tundra of the Northern plains where the Knights feel at home. 🏈💪👊

3 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

Love those decorations on the 747s! 

Right? When I played in High School, all we got were those big yellow cheese buses rolling down the street. These boys are travelling in style. 😎

• Like 3

I posted this a long time ago (2020), but I here it is again.  I use jewelry/bead storage boxes from Michaels.com to store my teams.  I need three boxes to store each team (53 players in dark jerseys and 53 players in white jerseys plus 2 TTQBs and 2 stationary qbs.  I don't tweak my bases other than candling them, so I just store them upright (I know that's a no-no), but there is plenty of room in each compartment to place to players on their backs if you want to.  Don't know whether this interests anyone, but I've attached photos, so you can see what they look like.

IMG_20200903_115342.thumb.jpg.98f31a128e7820c8e8fd6427399e806d.jpgIMG_20200903_115409.thumb.jpg.677dcbae04170ea60674045e2fdb637d.jpgIMG_20200903_115506.thumb.jpg.260829f98c05bc06cfb8d0aa19f9ff09.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

(I know that's a no-no)

It's only a no-no if you notice that your players have stopped performing as you expect. You're using single-clip bases and those prongs are incredibly strong. I've stepped on them and had them rebound to form. 

12 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

I don't tweak my bases other than candling them

That's about all I do also. (I make sure the prongs are pointing the right direction) I lay my players on their side because I've added an extra 2.25 grams of weight and I worry that the prongs might suffer on a hot day.

I enjoyed the pictures of your packers.  Enjoy the Journey.   T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 3

On 6/23/2024 at 9:59 PM, RickLM30 said:

I don't tweak my bases other than candling them,

On 6/24/2024 at 10:17 AM, Terry43 said:

That's about all I do also.

I'm not sure what "candling" is, but how do the bases run for you guys? I've been under the impression that bases NEED to be tweaked in order to run at their optimal level both speed wise as well as directional (i.e. staying on a straight path).

• Like 3

I like to "audition" tons of new bases to find the few that run quickly and how I like right out of the box for the most part.  That way, the "memory" of the plastic is good performance.

Before a game, I'll run the men and do any requisite brushing with my fingers to the prongs to fine-tune them.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2024 at 10:44 PM, BlueHen said:

I've been under the impression that bases NEED to be tweaked in order to run at their optimal level both speed wise as well as directional (i.e. staying on a straight path).

I test tons of bases before each season to identify those that run the straightest and fastest. I don't tweak any bases, because, for me, it's too time-consuming, the tweaks don't last, and I'd rather play the game.  I use a multi-stop system, so the bases don't need to be tweaked, as at each stop, I pivot the players to make cuts in pass patterns, blocking assignments, the back looking for the hole or reacting to an opening, defensive players reacting to the ball carrier, or covering pass receivers, etc.  I began using a multi-stop system when I got my first game back in 1965, before I ever heard of tweaking bases.  I didn't like seeing the players run around willy-nilly when I would let the game run.  The multi-stop system seemed best for me as it allowed me to put myself in the head of each player as they ran patterns, blocked, searched for the hole to run through, reacted to the ball as they fought off blocks, and reacted to receivers making their cuts.  I just never saw a reason to change my system.  Now I'm old and set in my ways, so pretty sure I won't change it now.  🤣

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

I test tons of bases before each season ... I don't tweak any bases, because, for me, it's too time-consuming, the tweaks don't last, and I'd rather play the game.

Thank you for saying it so perfectly. I'm with you: I'd rather play the game.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43    🏈♾️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1