The NFL and the XFL Kickoff Rule

So, I read this morning that the NFL is once again considering adopting the XFL kickoff rule in an effort to reduce concussions on kickoff returns, 

Here is the Article: NFL is again considering XFL kickoff rule change (msn.com)

Here is the XFL Kickoff Rule:

In the XFL, the kickoff rule consists of 10 players on the kicking team and 10 players on the receiving team (everyone except the kicker and returner) lining up across from each other, five yards apart. The kicker kicks from the 30-yard line and must kick the ball in the air and in play between the opponent's 20-yard line and the end zone. Only the kicker and one returner can move until the ball is fielded and touchbacks are spotted at the 35-yard line.

Since concussions aren't really a matter of concern in electric football, is this something you would consider adding to your rules of electric football kickoffs and kickoff returns?

Generally, most electric football rules tend to use NFL rules as their guide for playing electric football. One of my pet peeves about a lot of the rules used for league and tournament play is that kickoffs and kickoff returns have been eliminated altogether (or giving the coaches the option of performing a kickoff return or just going ahead and taking the ball at the 25-yard line) in an effort to conserve time and speed along the games. 

I would just like to hear your thoughts on it. 

• Like 2

In our league, we like KORs. No option to take a touchback.  It doesn’t slow down a game because the return counts as a play (8-play quarters). 

We line kicking team up at the 50. Return team has 5 at the 40, 4 at the 20, and two at th goal line, one on each hash.  Kicking coach drops a ball between them, and the returner is whichever player the ball bounces toward (no relocating the returner to where the ball lands). Return team pivots players, kicking team responds, and we run the board. 

Results are very satisfactory with this arrangement. We get returns for TDs, we get some that are inside the twenty, and everything in between. I should average out the results from last season and see what it is, but I’d bet it’s around 25-30. 

• Like 4

I hope they don’t do that.  

I’m not sure what I’d do with my league.  Some of my most exciting plays happen on returns.  I just posted one on solitaire with the Lions returning one all the way against the Bears.

Edited by Greg F
Add details
  • Like 4

Greg, from what I understand, it is in an effort to increase kick returns. By having the other 10 players of each team line up 5 yards apart and not being able to move until the ball is fielded it cuts down on the players being able to run down field at full speed and blast into a blocker or Kick returner. That's whern most of the injuries and concussions are occurring. 

• Like 2

I would not include this rule in my solitaire league, nor do I use dice in my kicking game.  As a kick returner and punt returner in high school, I enjoy the actual kick off and punting experience in electric football. I use the TTQB to kick off and play the ball where it lands.  Once the kick is made the returners go after it, the blockers head for their return blocking positions (I have kick return schemes for sideline and up the middle returns) and the kicking team runs down the field to make the tackle.  The time it takes for the returner to reach the ball wherever it lands accounts for the time the ball was in the air.  I use a multi-stop system, so I can adjust blockers and coverage players as the play progresses.  I've been using this system for 55 years and it seems to work for me.  I also have kicks returned for touchdowns and returns all over the field.  (so far none of the players or fans in my solitaire league have complained about the possibility of concussions, although injuries do occur). 🙂

Edited by RickLM30
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

I use the TTQB to kick off and play the ball where it lands.

I really like the procedure you describe. I might use it if I could keep the ball on the field. I have about a dozen TTQB and all of them blast the ball out of the stadium every time. How do you keep the ball on the field of play?

Thank you.   Enjoy the Journey    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 3

I play on an ultimate field, but still have a few TTQBs that kick it off the field of play.  Each of my teams has a designated TTQB.  Before each game, I take one practice kick with each TTQB to determine if he is one of the kickers that blasts the ball.  For those guys, I just tilt the base to make them kick higher but shorter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

For those guys, I just tilt the base to make them kick higher but shorter. 

Yes!! That is the way to do it. Or just tilt the ball forward on the tee so that it is a squib kick more or less. It does take going through a bunch of kicker and experimenting with several to find a good kicker. I have three, that I use. One for kickoffs, one for punts and one for field goals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Yes!! That is the way to do it. Or just tilt the ball forward on the tee so that it is a squib kick more or less. It does take going through a bunch of kicker and experimenting with several to find a good kicker. I have three, that I use. One for kickoffs, one for punts and one for field goals.

I flip it down the field with my hand.  Has to land between the 5 and the 20.  From there, it’s wherever the ball bounces.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Greg F said:

flip it down the field with my hand.  Has to land between the 5 and the 20.

I can see that consistently working. Every now and again we have to intervene on behalf of our little plastic peeps.

Enjoy the Journey    T43.     🏈♾️

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terry43 said:

I can see that consistently working. Every now and again we have to intervene on behalf of our little plastic peeps.

Enjoy the Journey    T43.     🏈♾️

Works pretty well.  I’d say only about 24% go through the endzone 

• Like 3

My late and semi-different way of handling returns for kickoffs etc. in my solitaire league.

I use TTQB's on all kicks, punts etc. Any player hit may run until tackled, out of bounds, or scores.
KICKOFFS: Kicking team lines up at the 30-yard line. Receiving team has five across their 50 [2 on each of the numbers, 2 on each hash mark, and 1 in the middle] giving a personally preferred 20 yard gap between teams. Four players creating a diamond shape from 1 player in the middle on the 35-yard line, 2 players on the numbers of the 30-yard line, and a 4th in the middle on the 20. The remaining 2 are placed on the hashmarks at the goal line. 
Onside kicks have to travel 10 yards and as many as needed players may be pivoted to race to the ball where it stops. Any kick not hitting a player that goes out of bounds is awarded to the receiving team where it went out. Any kick not hitting a player but stopping in the field of play is awarded to the receiving team where the ball stopped [excepted with onside kicks of course]. 
All touchbacks, including balls that fly out the back of the end zone are awarded to the receiving team at the 20-yard line. Free kicks following safeties have all players adjusted back 10 yards. Punts and field goals are set up like the NFL for the kicking team and the defending or receiving team is set up with spread out versions of my 6 defensive formations as determined by the roll of a dice. The ability for any player to run a ball back is determined with the same criteria. 
In terms of "concussions" only this could be suggested as there are only enough players to fill 11 positions on either side of the ball in my league but if there were more and players could be switched out, if a player got knocked over then it would be considered an injury timeout and he would have to be swapped out for at least 1 play with another teammate. Does this all make sense? As I don't have a lot of opportunity for actual returns, there probably is not a lot of help in this post. Apologies for wasting anyone's time but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in anyway. 
Happy Valentine's Day and Blessings to all, Curt 🙂

• Like 1