1) The Music City Miracle Bills/Titans

2) The First Monday Night Football Game 

Jets/Browns 

3) The 1971 Longest Game on Christmas Eve 

Dolphins/Chiefs 

4) Open for suggestions.

Thank You and Journey On!

• Like 3

That’s a good one coach! What that game symbolized and the powerful impact it had that spread beyond the field and the locals is something special. I think this topic first has to be about the greatness of the game or moment but also the uniforms and players involved. “The Catch” is number one for me. But a good honorable mention would be “The Comeback”. 1993, Oilers at the Bills. The greatest postseason comeback ever! Some cool uniforms involved as well. “The Tuck Rule” isn’t too shabby as well.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

The Ice Bowl. Packers/Cowboys. Dandy Don Meredith was 2 plays in two games vs the Packers from being in the HoF as a quarterback supreme! He’s always gong to be my favorite Cowboy quarterback. Tough as nails, that one.

Journey On!

Yes, many people forget that the 1966 Cowboys and the 1967 Cowboys had the opportunity to be the teams to represent the NFL in the first two Super Bowls. But their loses to the Packers just further solidifies the notion that the 1960 - 1967 Packers are considered to be the most dominant team in professional football during that decade and why the Super Bowl Trophy is now called the Lombardi Trophy. Of course, the Cowboys became the most dominant team in the NFC during the decade of 1970 - 1979, making the playoffs 9 times, appearing in the NFC Championship Game 7 times, winning 5 of those and the right to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl 5 times, and winning Super Bowls VI and XI. I did play a series of "What If" Super Bowls with the teams of the AFL and NFL championship game participants of the first 4 AFL - NFL Super Bowls. And I personally consider Super Bowl V to be an NFL vs NFL Super Bowl since the Baltimore Colts was one of the teams that moved to the AFC in 1970 after the merger was completed.     

• Like 3

On 1/18/2024 at 9:07 AM, nefgm.org said:

Yes, many people forget that the 1966 Cowboys and the 1967 Cowboys had the opportunity to be the teams to represent the NFL in the first two Super Bowls. But their loses to the Packers just further solidifies the notion that the 1960 - 1967 Packers are considered to be the most dominant team in professional football during that decade and why the Super Bowl Trophy is now called the Lombardi Trophy. Of course, the Cowboys became the most dominant team in the NFC during the decade of 1970 - 1979, making the playoffs 9 times, appearing in the NFC Championship Game 7 times, winning 5 of those and the right to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl 5 times, and winning Super Bowls VI and XI. I did play a series of "What If" Super Bowls with the teams of the AFL and NFL championship game participants of the first 4 AFL - NFL Super Bowls. And I personally consider Super Bowl V to be an NFL vs NFL Super Bowl since the Baltimore Colts was one of the teams that moved to the AFC in 1970 after the merger was completed.     

The Steelers were also old NFL, and I wonder how much that had to do with them being dominant in the AFC in the 70s.  I would suspect the old NFL teams had more money, but I don’t know that for sure.

Nevertheless, old NFL teams were 9-5 through first 14 SuperBowls.  The Dolphins and Raiders were the only AFL teams with much SuperBowl success throughout the 70s and early 80s. 

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Greg F said:

Nevertheless, old NFL teams were 9-5 through first 14 SuperBowls.  The Dolphins and Raiders were the only AFL teams with much SuperBowl success throughout the 70s and early 80s. 

Super Bowls 5, 9, 10, 13, & 14 were all between two old NFL teams.  So when an old AFL team faced an old NFL team in 1-14, it's 4 NFL wins to 5 AFL.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:59 AM, Daryl Collins said:

So the next custom painted teams in consideration are:

1) The Music City Miracle Bills/Titans

2) The First Monday Night Football Game 

Jets/Browns 

3) The 1971 Longest Game on Christmas Eve 

Dolphins/Chiefs 

4) Open for suggestions.

Thank You and Journey On!

“The helmet catch” Giants/Patriots would be awesome

• Like 2

Another historic game to recapture would be the day back in 1990 when Derrick Thomas sacked Dave Krieg a record 7 times in one game! Some really cool uniforms involved in that game, too. Especially Seahawks in the white jersey.

• Like 3

Whoa good memory coach Daryl. That’s impressive! It would be easy to assume that the Chiefs won that day based on the 7 sacks. I’ve watched this highlight on NFL Films a thousand times and I don’t think they mentioned the Seahawks winning, definitely got overshadowed by Derrick Thomas crazy day! The 1983 Seahawks in the dark jerseys is definitely on my custom painted team list. I was a HUGE Kenny Easley fan as a kid.

• Like 3