rookie bases (for my solitaire league)

Benoît Racette

Hello coaches.

Need some opinions about rookie bases (in multiples colors) for my future solitaire league.

Is it a good investment ( i know that i can have some pro bases) considering that this is for my solitaire league as for the tweaking for example are they easy or hard to tweak those bases to get as straight as possible?

Please let me know and have a great day.

Benster from north of the border.

• Like 2

Take it from someone who just started tweaking and weighing bases in the past year. It’s much better to cut your teeth on rookie bases and get a feel for how and what you’re looking for to fill out your teams. I watched countless tweaking videos and listened to advice from a couple of coaches I trust, but nothing is as fun or as satisfying as getting your hands dirty with all your tools and a couple of hours to spend working on a team! And, boy! Do those couple of hours fly by fast! If you think you love this hobby, just wait until you’ve successfully tweaked a base and have it perform to spec! Why I waited all these years to find this out, is anyone’s guess. I’m just so glad I did! 
BTW. I have planned for a couple of said hours Thursday night. I’ll either have my NFL Films music or the Steelers/Patriots on in the background and be basing my UniForm clad Seahawks and Commanders.

Journey On!

• Like 5

If all you are wanting is to tweak bases to run straight and only for your own personal solitaire league, there is no need to spend a lot of money on expensive bases and paying someone else to tweak. 

Tudor's Rookie bases in the different colors are really all you need. They can be tweaked just as well as any other bases.

They key to getting bases to run straight is to make sure the prongs are all the same length and touching the playing surface equally and level. 

Also, tweak with the base attached to the figure that you are going to use it on. 

• Like 6

Hi Benster from North of the Border. I love the Murdock Mysteries.

I have 21 teams in my solitaire league and each team has at least 6 rookie bases. 

2 wide receivers / kick returners.

2 TE / Receivers in Passing Situations.

2 running backs.

As for tweaking, I make sure the back prongs are tilting backwards. That's about it.

If you've watched any of my game videos then you know just how essential rookie bases are to my league. 

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.  🏈♾️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Yes. Flashing is usually the first thing I do to a base, The only pliers I use are smooth jaw flat nose pliers. The only thing I am trying to do is get them to run relatively straight. 

Awesome. It looks like fun once you get the hang of it...

• Like 3

On 12/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, nefgm.org said:

If all you are wanting is to tweak bases to run straight and only for your own personal solitaire league, there is no need to spend a lot of money on expensive bases and paying someone else to tweak. 

In the future, I plan to try to tweak some bases myself. However as I'm trying to get started initially, I felt like it would be a good idea to have someone else do it for me so I can field a team or two while I'm learning. 

The man the myth the legend, Mr. Nutt called me today to inform me the CL-2 bases he's been working on are ready. Hopefully, they'll perform at a good enough level so I can begin my journey of taking over the world. Oh wait, never mind...I meant good enough to hopefully being able to compete in a tournament someday and win a game or two. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlueHen said:

The man the myth the legend, Mr. Nutt called me today to inform me the CL-2 bases he's been working on are ready.

That's Awesome!! I believe Bryan is finally getting caught up from his initial takeover of Tudor Games and the Christmas Holiday Shopping Season Rush. I have noticed that he is getting more active again on Facebook and with providing good Customer Service to the patrons and supporters of Tudor Games. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

That's Awesome!! I believe Bryan is finally getting caught up from his initial takeover of Tudor Games and the Christmas Holiday Shopping Season Rush. I have noticed that he is getting more active again on Facebook and with providing good Customer Service to the patrons and supporters of Tudor Games. 

Yeah, I'm sure those two situations create a lot of work/stress for the head man in charge...

The couple of times I spoke with him over the phone, he seems like a genuine guy who cares about his product. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if Tudor is growing at this point? Or, is it too early to tell whether or not sales have increased (not that more sales necessarily quantifies as an overall improved product). 

Edited by BlueHen

2 hours ago, BlueHen said:

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if Tudor is growing at this point? Or, is it too early to tell whether or not sales have increased (not that more sales necessarily quantifies as an overall improved product). 

I do not know or have any information regarding sales figures. But I can fairly confidently say that they are in no danger of going out of business any time soon. What I have noticed is a shift in the products and services that they are now offering.

For over 50+ years (since 1967) Tudor's man source of sales was in offering pre-painted teams which required maintaining a large amount of inventory that may or may not sell and depended largely on accurately predicting which team was going to be most in demand in any given year and in what uniform combination that team was going to be wearing that season, and placing orders for those teams 4 to 6 months ahead of time. Doug Strohm's creation of the Uni-forms was supposed to be the solution to address this issue but that was not fully embraced by the majority of Tudor's customer base which were still demanding pre-painted teams in all the various new uniform combinations and alternate uniform combinations that NFL teams were introducing every year. That and the worldwide logistical shipping nightmare's that Covid-19 created, made it difficult for a lot of small businesses like Tudor Games to survive. I don't think that Tudor Games under Doug Strohm was ever really in any danger of going out of business, but it was becoming more difficult to offer products and services that were going to produce a minimally acceptable profit and with a quality that most of their customer base was demanding.  

What Bryn Nutt acquired from Doug Strohm in his acquisition of Tudor Games was a large amount of inventory that was not selling and not of the quality that people had grown accustomed to getting from the brand that is Tudor Games as the one and only major brand of Electric Football Games and Electric Football Products to have survived for nearly 75 years.   

What Bryan has been able to accomplish in the short time since his acquisition of the brand that is Tudor Games, is the ability to address the issue of providing the teams that his majority customer base is demanding with both NFL and Collegiate Licensing by offering a good quality custom painted team service (albeit not as fast as people are wanting in this "instant gratification" society that we now live in) and in partnering with ITZ Bases to satisfy the demand for better quality bases and custom tweaked bases that is so demanded by all participants of the game and hobby, whether it is in league and tournament play or solitaire play. 

AND in bringing back the annual National Conventions and Tournaments that people have been wanting for a long time and not just catering to one particular group of highly competitive players of electric football but that is all inclusive of every area of the game such as the solitaire player, the collector, the artist and the general hobby enthusiast. 

• Like 3

On 12/24/2023 at 8:06 AM, BlueHen said:

So, being new to this hobby, I haven't learned how to tweak the bases. Some videos I've seen show dudes using lighters to eliminate "flash" (i.e. extra plastic on the bottom of the prongs). Does anyone else do this, and what are the best pliers to use?

Thanks,

Brian

Here is the pliers I use.

https://www.joann.com/bead-buddy-flat-nose-pliers/8236309.html

they are available at Joann Fabrics shops.

• Like 3