Recently I was reading some old MFCA posts and I read this one:

Can you imagine the game of Football being played, where once the Offense's, and Defenses choose plays in the huddle, they cannot deviate at all, after the snap of the ball. Especially Defense, they have to be able to re-act on what they see the offense doing, and then adjust to stop it. Even the Offense makes adjustments after the start of a play, such as RB's finding a hole when the intended hole is plugged, or a receiver finding a seam in the defense after his route has been run, and the defense has him covered.

Last edited by FrankB : 04-02-2009 at 09:20 AM.

I can imagine "... Not deviating at all after the snap of the ball," because that's how I play the game. The offensive linemen are adjusted to open a gap. The running back runs into that predetermined gap and if the offensive line is successful the hole is there. If the hole is not there then perhaps the running will bounce the play outside. All of this in 2 seconds.

Not two, or three, or four stops where the coach has time to analyze what's happening. 

From my perspective the thoughtfulness should occur in designing the play and then practicing it over and over and over and over... Ad Infinitum.

Then in game situations the coach shouldn't need to pivot the little plastic peeps. Turn on the motion generator and watch the players block or run like they practiced.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 5

On 10/9/2023 at 5:34 PM, Terry43 said:

From my perspective the thoughtfulness should occur in designing the play and then practicing it over and over and over and over... Ad Infinitum.

Then in game situations the coach shouldn't need to pivot the little plastic peeps. Turn on the motion generator and watch the players block or run like they practiced.

Well said.  My EF philosophy is to do that…set up the play and then let the players on the field perform.

Multi stop is definitely a legit method to play but it is not my preference.  I think it would increase the game duration and then, at least in solitaire, I would be responsible for multiple decisions for both teams every play.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Coach Shawn said:

Multi stop is definitely a legit method to play but it is not my preference.  I think it would increase the game duration and then, at least in solitaire, I would be responsible for multiple decisions for both teams every play.  

The great thing about playing solitaire is that you are free to play and enjoy the game anyway that you like. There is no right or wrong way to play. For every 100 coaches that play the game solitaire there are 100 different ways to play.  

Haven't said it in a while but, here it is: "Just have fun and play the game!!" 

• Like 6

On 10/10/2023 at 9:37 AM, zak99b5 said:

Only stop we have is for a pass attempt.

This game is best when the switch is on.  Let the players decide the outcome.

agreed no stops on runs only 1 stop on passes to let the db run with the receiver

• Like 4

On 10/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, Terry43 said:

Recently I was reading some old MFCA posts and I read this one:

I can imagine "... Not deviating at all after the snap of the ball," because that's how I play the game. The offensive linemen are adjusted to open a gap. The running back runs into that predetermined gap and if the offensive line is successful the hole is there. If the hole is not there then perhaps the running will bounce the play outside. All of this in 2 seconds.

Not two, or three, or four stops where the coach has time to analyze what's happening. 

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

Exactly Terry! Nothing should ever interfere with the natural continuity of a play. We trust in the the players themselves to perform the way we think they can. We would never play by those turn rules or time delay rules. We don't have time to play games for hours.

Edited by Long island EFL
INFO ADDED
  • Like 1