Terry43

Hi.

Running plays from the I Formation is difficult because 4-3 defensive tackles can clog up the middle and the outside linebackers (sometimes called Loopers) come in and make a touch-tackle for lost yardage.

Stop Forward Progress tackling can neutralize fast Outside Linebackers a little but a good Tight End can take the Outside Linebacker right out of the play.

In the attached video the Polaris Tight End #83 is a very weak base. When the motion generator is turned on the Christmas Spirit Weak Side Cornerback #29 pushes Polaris #83 right into the path of the Christmas Spirit Outside Linebacker #48.  BOOM 💥 The weakest player on the field takes out both defensive players.

The video has three examples of the I formation in action. Polaris Halfback #5 is the ball carrier is all three videos. In the first two examples I used slow motion to make it easier to see TE #83 and HB #5. In the third example the Christmas Spirit clog up the middle really good but #5 continues to fight for yards.

Technical Detail:  In all three videos Polaris Center #52 and Polaris Left Guard #68 are adjusted to double team Christmas Spirit Defensive Tackle #66 and Middle Linebacker #54. Polaris Right Guard #69 is adjusted to block Christmas Spirit Defensive Tackle #70 one-on-one. 

The Polaris Fullback #43 can assist #69 with a double team. Coaches prerogative.

Enjoy the Journey. T43 🏈☄️

• Like 3

Good play Coach. 
The end is executing an “influence block”.  Rather than trying to overpower the LB it’s just enough to divert the defender’s direction to delay the attack. 

If you had a big/heavy package (more TEs), then the LB could have been beaten but the CB would have been able to crash down.  So the LB being stronger isn’t always better. 
👍🏾

• Like 1

Hi. 

I'm glad your league has rules they agree on. That makes the game fun! Do you allow double-team blocking?

I use stacking like a hammer hitting a nail. I use it on defense and offense. However, I only use stacking two deep which occurs naturally when the safeties run up, or the Middle Linebacker blitzes. Of course, I use it on offense to bump the Middle Linebacker out of the play, or to influence the defense in the wrong direction, like in the video.

image.png.1893d877200c678a92b456c3ce236d6d.png

I do the Offset I formation also. Frequently I setup the Fullback behind the Tackle and I call that the Upback Formation. They both work the same way but with the emphasis on running through the B gap instead of the C gap.

I use the quarterback as a blocker, rather than pulling the Center, because it is easier to coordinate the Power Sweep.

Enjoy the Journey. T43 🏈

• Like 1

Hi Commissioner Kinchen. Thanks for the tip. I just bookmarked the Electric Football Playbook in my favorites.

From what I can see in the Dogfish Head video, I think Jim “The Hulk” Davis runs a lot of I-Formation plays.

Thanks. Enjoy the Journey. T43 🏈

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:40 PM, Daryl Collins said:

That’s it! (Says Charlie Brown to Lucy upon his diagnosis of “fear of everything”.)

Journey On!

On 4/25/2023 at 11:05 PM, Terry43 said:

Hi.

Running plays from the I Formation is difficult because 4-3 defensive tackles can clog up the middle and the outside linebackers (sometimes called Loopers) come in and make a touch-tackle for lost yardage.

Stop Forward Progress tackling can neutralize fast Outside Linebackers a little but a good Tight End can take the Outside Linebacker right out of the play.

In the attached video the Polaris Tight End #83 is a very weak base. When the motion generator is turned on the Christmas Spirit Weak Side Cornerback #29 pushes Polaris #83 right into the path of the Christmas Spirit Outside Linebacker #48.  BOOM 💥 The weakest player on the field takes out both defensive players.

The video has three examples of the I formation in action. Polaris Halfback #5 is the ball carrier is all three videos. In the first two examples I used slow motion to make it easier to see TE #83 and HB #5. In the third example the Christmas Spirit clog up the middle really good but #5 continues to fight for yards.

Technical Detail:  In all three videos Polaris Center #52 and Polaris Left Guard #68 are adjusted to double team Christmas Spirit Defensive Tackle #66 and Middle Linebacker #54. Polaris Right Guard #69 is adjusted to block Christmas Spirit Defensive Tackle #70 one-on-one. 

I Formation with SloMo TE blocking - SD 480p.mov 10.08 MB · 3 downloads  

The Polaris Fullback #43 can assist #69 with a double team. Coaches prerogative.

Enjoy the Journey. T43 🏈☄️

Hi Coach Terry,

Do you happen to have any sweeps or off tackle runs you could share in case the defense lines up with an adjustment, like for example putting 8 or 9 defenders "in the box" and stacking them? Seems like a small audible (without having to change the formation) could make a big difference...

- Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueHen said:

Do you happen to have any sweeps or off tackle runs you could share

Hi Brian.  I have five plays for each formation. Because you are reading this thread I'm assuming you've seen Power I, blocking assignment 3, gap C or D.

Here are two more. Power I, blocking assignment 4, A or F gap.                          SETUP

RUNNING Off tackle

Power I, blocking assignment 5 (pulling guard), gap L or R                          SETUP

RUNNING Sweep

Merry Christmas and Enjoy the Journey    T43   🏈♾️

• Like 3

On 12/24/2023 at 7:20 PM, Terry43 said:

Hi Brian.  I have five plays for each formation. Because you are reading this thread I'm assuming you've seen Power I, blocking assignment 3, gap C or D.

Here are two more. Power I, blocking assignment 4, A or F gap.                          SETUP

100_3794.mov 10.62 MB · 2 downloads  

RUNNING Off tackle

100_3795.mov 9.63 MB · 1 download  

Power I, blocking assignment 5 (pulling guard), gap L or R                          SETUP

100_3796.mov 10.34 MB · 1 download  

RUNNING Sweep

100_3797.mov 6.24 MB · 1 download  

Merry Christmas and Enjoy the Journey    T43   🏈♾️

OK, so those plays seem to work well against a standard defense....

But, I need to ask about the pulling guard. Why is he lined up in the backfield like an H-Back? Is that a legal move?

16 hours ago, BlueHen said:

Is that a legal move?

If you plan to play in a league, no it is not legal.😃 👎  Unless it's my league. 😃👍

In a Power Sweep, or Counter Trey, or a Screen Pass, a guard, or tackle, or tight end must pull and get out in front of the ball carrier. I guess we've all seen big guards flatten cornerbacks or linebackers to create a lane to the outside.

I put the guard out there at the beginning. I pretend the guard starts out on the line of scrimmage and then pulls to block for the ball carrier. Think Jerry Kramer of Green Bay, or Alan Faneca (Route 66) of Pittsburgh. 

Some leagues accomplish this with multiple stops. Stop 1 starts the play, Stop 2 they turn the guard around, Stop 3 they point the guard in the correct direction, etc.

I avoid the stops and starts, put the guard where I want him, and turn on the power and leave it on until the play is over.

I also use the QB as a blocker instead of pulling the Center. This is illegal in every league, except mine. As far as I've observed little plastic peeps don't get concussions, or broken bones, so I use the QB as the third blocker instead of pulling the center, or a second guard.

Here's my Power Sweep and I've slowed it down to 33% of actual speed.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 2

So, if you really think about it, basically every play in electric football starts after the snap of the ball and the quarterback already has the ball in his hand or in some cases has already handed the ball off to another ball carrier so it only stands to reason that at this point every player has already completed their initial movements in the progression of the play. My question then would be, should you also allow the defensive players to be well into their initial reactions to these key moves by the offense? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Terry43 said:

I also use the QB as a blocker instead of pulling the Center. This is illegal in every league, except mine. As far as I've observed little plastic peeps don't get concussions, or broken bones, so I use the QB as the third blocker instead of pulling the center, or a second guard.

Using the QB as a blocker is NOT unheard of on the High School level. Here's a State Championship game from 1991 that features the QB (#25) as a lead blocker on toss sweeps. 

Note: The first time they run it is around the 13 minute mark (fumble down field). The next time it's run successfully (with the QB actually throwing an effective block is around 19:15. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't know the real reason why not allowing the QB to be a lead blocker became illegal in electric football, other than most QB's (mostly in the professional levels) just don't do it. That is my biggest beef with a lot of the rules that leagues and tournaments have come up with is that they have made a lot of things illegal that aren't illegal in real football. 

I understand every level of competition has to have rules and if you are going to play at those levels you have to abide by those rules. I don't play competitively any longer because of some of the things that have been taken out of the game that should not have been.

Solitaire is the only level of electric football where you can devise any way to play the game that makes it more fun and exciting for you, yourself. It's your game, your rules. "Just have fun and play the game". 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

So, if you really think about it, basically every play in electric football starts after the snap of the ball and the quarterback already has the ball in his hand or in some cases has already handed the ball off to another ball carrier so it only stands to reason that at this point every player has already completed their initial movements in the progression of the play.

Chris, I copied this sentence and put it in my Heavy Metal Electric Football rule book. I simply cannot say it any better. Thank you. 😃👍

10 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

My question then would be, should you also allow the defensive players to be well into their initial reactions to these key moves by the offense? 

Excellent observation and I do, "...allow the defensive players to be well into their initial reaction."

My basic defense is a 4-3 with two corners and two safeties. Then after I set the offense, I set the defense. Both safeties come down to stuff the run and I turn the MLB to purse the ball carrier. Pass plays are a bit different but the idea is the same.

MLBs are very special to me. I spend a lot of time searching for that very special peep that, "Floats like a butterfly and stings like a freakin' freight train." Just like Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, and Dre Greenlaw.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nefgm.org said:

Yeah, I don't know the real reason why not allowing the QB to be a lead blocker became illegal in electric football, other than most QB's (mostly in the professional levels) just don't do it. That is my biggest beef with a lot of the rules that leagues and tournaments have come up with is that they have made a lot of things illegal that aren't illegal in real football. 

I understand every level of competition has to have rules and if you are going to play at those levels you have to abide by those rules. I don't play competitively any longer because of some of the things that have been taken out of the game that should not have been.

Solitaire is the only level of electric football where you can devise any way to play the game that makes it more fun and exciting for you, yourself. It's your game, your rules. "Just have fun and play the game". 

Excellent points Coach. ☝️

TBH, it is pretty rare for QB's to have that style at the highest level. So, I could potentially see it's necessary to make rules where (most) QB's can't do things like being lead blockers. However, in order to stay consistent with that theme or narrative, it seems likely that an offensive coach would need to declare what kind of QB he has.

For example, on the college level, you'll have some QB's who are just as dangerous as a Running back when it comes to runs/rollouts, etc., but can't pass that effectively. And on the flip side, you'll have those who can stand in the pocket (if they're given time) and pick apart a defense, but can't run to save their lives. My point being that some QB's could absolutely block (Tim Tebow for example), but his pocket passing skills were maybe average, so why not limit his ability to pass somehow?

Your summation of the solitaire version is a key take away here. One other thing might be if you play with friends (or perhaps in a tournament), you could implement "house rules" which belong to the home team (home field advantage) and as long as they're not too crazy, both sides have to abide by them which makes home field advantage great again. 😂🏈

• Like 2

Most Regional ELECTRIC FOOTBALL Leagues and Regional and National Tournaments use the Tournament of Champions (TOC) Rules or some variation thereof regardless of whether they are using pro teams, college teams, high school teams or fantasy teams.

Localized leagues may have their own set of rules, but the TOC has pretty much become the standard on the highly competitive league and tournament circuit.  I am not sure of the exact numbers but there are generally 30-40 coaches that regularly compete in the TOC Series of Tournament Events. The other major competitive circuit is the Miniature Football Bowl Championship Series which has a larger membership with local and regional league competitions and then an annual National Championship Tournament at the end of their season. 

There is a lot of cross membership and participation with many of the same coaches playing in two, three or even four leagues at the same time. 

I used to participate in several of these levels of competition and still enjoy going to watch some of these games and seeing many of the people that I have gotten to know through the game over the years at these events.  However, the level of competitiveness just gotten way more serious than I like, taking the fun out of playing the game. 

My main focus now is on the collecting and hobby side of the game and playing solitaire. And of course, trying to build the National ELECTRIC FOOTBALL Game Museum into an actual physical museum that people can come to and learn more about the game and experience playing the game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nefgm.org said:

I used to participate in several of these levels of competition and still enjoy going to watch some of these games and seeing many of the people that I have gotten to know through the game over the years at these events.  However, the level of competitiveness just gotten way more serious than I like, taking the fun out of playing the game. 

Excellent point Coach. Hyper competitiveness is a liability (and should be penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness, lol :referee: )

Thanks for sharing. 🤝

Respectfully,

Brian

Edited by BlueHen
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, nefgm.org said:

Solitaire is the only level of electric football where you can devise any way to play the game that makes it more fun and exciting for you, yourself.

which is honestly the reason i love solitaire and never got into competitive play, i feel like solitaire is something we can all collectively agree on while not playing with the same rules and having completely different games.

• Like 2