newbie playing solo/...season replays..apba football

jayd

Hello community! My name is Jeremy..I am a relative newbie to EF, not playing much as a kid other than occasional games on a tudor 620 as a kid at my cousins house.. I have been playing cards and dice sports games for several years now (apba baseball and football, strat o matic baseball). i like EF for the visual, and the cards and dice for the statistical realism. I would love to replay the 1960 AFL season using a combination of APBA football and my EF board and men..i like the idea of using cards and dice to determine play calling. Anyone else with any ideas on this? anyone ever combine the two? what about play calling? I personally dont care for the idea of using stoppages and then saying ok i will pitch to him i guess.....just ME. please dont be offended if you play that way!!..any advice or charts that you can give would be awesome!! Thank you

Jayd: 

From a long time EF'er and long time APBA player with a similar love of the AFL, how about a few suggestions - 

1. Use the QB cards from the teams to determine pass completion. 

2. Use the play cards from the game to determine offensive play selection, and develop a few for Defense. 

3. Take a look at the posts here on the forum about passing sticks, I think you may find that pretty exciting. 

4. There are lots of charts and different applications here that you can take a look at and try it on. Explore around, have some fun, and do what you like. If you have a question, one of our great forum folks will be able to give an answer. 

• Like 2

Hey Dave thank you!!!  I was planning on using the passing sticks in fact just yesterday i went to hobby lobby, got some wooden dowels and made a set!! I was going to go to Pro Football Reference.com for some info on the tendencies of the different teams and draw up a few plays for each team..I DONT want to get bogged down and not have fun, or make it a chore..I did that once with a 1955 brooklyn Dodgers replay..the won/loss record and stats were almost exact which was awesome, but it became "work" about midseason..(of course 154 games is a lot, and then the world series)..thanks for the info!! u still play APBA?...And do u play E.F solo?

I do, I have the 67 BM League that's on this page. That's my Solitaire League. I used a system called the Cumulative Weight Distribution (CWD) system to add weight to players to make teams very distinct. 

I used to play a lot of APBA, but gave it all away about a year ago. I ran a league for it here in South Louisiana for a while back in the 90's. If you're doing the original 8 AFL teams, that might be a great vehicle for CWD. 

A great source for all things AFL is www.remembertheafl.com 

Edited by NO Dave
  • Like 1

I use dice to determine the offensive set and whether pass or run, depending on down and distance.  I have a stack of 3x5 cards with diagrammed running plays, another stack with pass plays (each pass play has a designated primary and secondary receiver), and another with "gadget plays" (screens, draws, end arounds, reverses, etc.). I also use dice to determine the defensive set, blitzes, and secondary coverages depending on down and distance.

As No Dave says there are lots of ideas here in the forum.  The trick is to pick and choose to figure out what works for you and have fun!  

• Like 2

Coach Jayd welcome,

All great ideas.  I'm intrigued by the card system you are talking about.  I'm not familiar at all with APBA system. As for variable weights.  Jamie Ellerbe is the pioneer on that.  His FAT8 system is quite popular and he puts out great content.  You may find some ideas by checking him out.  Of course, the TOEPRO rules by Coach Kinchen sound like they are right up your alley if you want to avoid the multi-stop route (totally fine by the way.  In my experience, the majority of players I've seen don't use the multi-stop method--personally, I like the multi-stop method AND the TOEPRO method and play both ways).  As for the passing sticks, yes, I agree with NODave, passing sticks are a great alternate to the TTQB.  Again, I love them both, but the passing sticks bring a different element to the passing games.  However, the stop-to-throw and the stop-to-catch is necessary when using them.  Looking forward to hearing how you progress in the hobby.  It's a great one!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:40 PM, nefgm.org said:

There is a guy on Facebook that plays that way. trying to find a link to one of his posts. Found it!! Name is Vernon Sterling. He posts on the Buzzing Solitaire Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/buzzingsolitaire

I don't quite play that way.  Once the offensive set and play is called and the defense is set, then I turn on the field and use a multi-stop system from that point on.  😊  Vernon Sterling sure has an interesting way of playing though!  That's what makes this hobby so great - everyone has different and interesting ways of making it work for them! 

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, jayd said:

Hello community! My name is Jeremy..I am a relative newbie to EF, not playing much as a kid other than occasional games on a tudor 620 as a kid at my cousins house.. I have been playing cards and dice sports games for several years now (apba baseball and football, strat o matic baseball). i like EF for the visual, and the cards and dice for the statistical realism. I would love to replay the 1960 AFL season using a combination of APBA football and my EF board and men..i like the idea of using cards and dice to determine play calling. Anyone else with any ideas on this? anyone ever combine the two? what about play calling? I personally dont care for the idea of using stoppages and then saying ok i will pitch to him i guess.....just ME. please dont be offended if you play that way!!..any advice or charts that you can give would be awesome!! Thank you

I can't say that I have ever done that but it sounds like a great world to be in, no matter what, it is what you love that matters!

• Like 1