Observations

Jim Fitzpatrick

My "administrative'" period (between seasons) is almost over.  This is when I retire certain players, draft others, repair, repaint, touch up, change rules, modify rules, etc.  Once again I've rejected the two point conversion and overtime during regular season games.  I've also made sure that each team has a viable kicker/punter.  All this has taken all of three months, and very soon I'll be starting 'training camp'.  There's a lot to work out with the new timer and rules regarding it, but I'm excited to see things progress so well.

During this time, let me share some observations from the admin period:

1. Numbers.  I use the varsity numbers in all colors (what happened to Burgundy???).  In the past, the adhesion (sticking) of these numbers has been problematic.  I find that by closely trimming the numbers on the sheet with a razor blade, or and X-acto tool helps.  I suspect that it's because the sticky part seems concentrated aroung the number itself.  This doesn't apply to the white numbers.  The white numbers seem to have very poor adhesive quality no matter which sheet (I have several) I take them from.  So with them, I have to use a little glue.  I've experimented with these various sticks used for paper - none work well.  I'm currently using Elmer's Washable Clear Glue.  It takes a few minutes to set, but so far has been my best option.  Incidentally, numbers seem to stick best on a rougher surface.  Try using a thicker paint to get texture, or sand or score the surface of the player first.
If you have colored jerseys, the colored numbers that Tudor puts out don't stand out enough when applied.  For example, I use a yellow number on a green jersey.  The Tudor yellow numbers just don't have enough (or too little?) opacity.  My solution is to use a white number and color it in with a yellow sharpie.  But you'll have to refresh it after ever 2-3 games, as it tends to wear off.  That's the inherent problem in using sharpies: the color easily wears off.  Fortunately, I don't have too many colored numbers for home team jerseys.

2. Paint.  See above for comments on sharpies.  As for paint, I've been using both Walmart's Apple Barrel and Hobby Lobby's Deco Art paints.  Both are okay, but I think I prefer Deco Art.  Matching the colors from one brand to the other can be problematic, but as long as you're not using something too exotic, there should be no problem.  For example, Apple Barrel's Spiced Berry matches Deco Art's Heritage Brick very well.  Using a razor blade or X-acto tool to scrape away "mistakes" is one's painting is effective.  I find that the X-acto #10 blade is especially effective.

This is getting pretty long.  I'll add some more on this later.

• Like 4

My buddy's wife has a cricut.  I'm going to get some vinyl and have her run it through to make numbers.  Though I do not look forward to trying to align two digits.

I am always sorely disappointed when I try to paint numbers.  The regular varsity numbers from Tudor have all the drawbacks you mention.  Water slide decals look great, but they don't seem to hold up well--maybe my clear coat over them wasn't thick or complete enough.  It's only a couple players, but I imagine it can only get worse.

• Like 1

Let me know how that goes. I might be interested.

3. Players.  I wish Tudor would sell players (positions) individually, or (more likely) in packages, of say, 4.  Like a package of 4 DBs, or 4 RBs, or something like that.  Red colored players are easily adapted by spray painting them white.  I use both the standard 11 unpainted figures and the pro-pack 'mean 13'. I have been trying to "create" different poses using the standard 11 - which only amounts to cutting off arms and repositioning them.  This way I can make addition DBs out of Ts, or LBs out of Ts, or different poses for RBs.  I haven't tried this with the pro-pack, except for the QB figure, which, once you cut off the ball, makes an acceptable WR or DB.  Currently, I have 8 teams, divided into 2 leagues (conferences).  Each team has an offensive and defensive platoon (to use the old term), in both white and colored jerseys.  This gives me a roster of 32-33 players per team (in both white and colored jerseys).  I don't foresee going beyond this, as this would just be too many to effectively use.  The current amount allows for a few subs, to cover injury or just to 'spell' plays - i.e. get someone different in for a few plays.

4. Timer.  This year I'm going to (finally!) use a digital stopwatch/timer - for obvious reasons.  At this point, I'm experimenting, trying to determine the length of a quarter.  Sure, it's 15 minutes in the real game, but EF moves a little more slowly.  I'm taking the average number of offensive plays per game in a real game (which I get from pro-football-reference.com) and divide the total by 4.  Typically, this will be around 50-60 plays per game, and thus, 12-15 per quarter.  Running scrimmages with a team of mine, I've arrived at about 25 minutes per quarter.  I'll go with this when I start my season, and see how it works out..

That's all for now.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 6:40 AM, zak99b5 said:

My buddy's wife has a cricut.  I'm going to get some vinyl and have her run it through to make numbers.  Though I do not look forward to trying to align two digits.

I am always sorely disappointed when I try to paint numbers.  The regular varsity numbers from Tudor have all the drawbacks you mention.  Water slide decals look great, but they don't seem to hold up well--maybe my clear coat over them wasn't thick or complete enough.  It's only a couple players, but I imagine it can only get worse.

Let me know how this turns out. I recently acquired some vinyl numbers once made by Buzzball. Looks like they would have been made with a cricut. 

DSC04060.thumb.JPG.8dc49ce84e88275e0f7483ee0306e89e.JPG

• Like 1

I have a complete team (offense and defense) of the Buzz Ball figures I bought from George back in the day, painted them to be the 1995 (I think) Packers in their throwback unis.

Only problem is, it's not a fair fight against a team of Fab 5 players, so they really don't ever get used.

I need to find a team and paint them as the throwback Bears and recreate that Halloween Monday Night Football game at Soldier field.  Of course, the Packers wore their AWAY throwback jerseys, and I painted the blue ones, so that detail would be incorrect.  I could paint the jack o'lantern on the back of Kenny Reuttger's helmet....

ruttgers_jackolantern.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/31/2023 at 5:33 AM, zak99b5 said:

the Buzz Ball figures I bought from George back in the day, painted them to be the 1995 (I think) Packers in their throwback unis.

Only problem is, it's not a fair fight against a team of Fab 5 players, so they really don't ever get used.

image.png.245b391f7a6a133901817155bbe1a034.png

Hi. I've integrated Buzz Ball figures into all of my teams. 👍 If your 1995 Packers are looking for a home, I'll add a touch of brown and gold paint and turn them into University of Wyoming Cowboys. 🤠

image.thumb.png.58c3f6899439714247fc643d46d97b3e.pngEnjoy the Journey. T43. 🏈

• Like 1