Is there a way or

Chris Harris

I created a system using 12 sided dice.

I set up offense. I then set up defense.

Next determine which situation your team is in:  is it Run, Normal, or Pass?

I determine this based on the chart below:

Yds to

Down

Go 

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

0 - 3

Run

Run

Normal

Normal

4 - 7

Run

Normal

Pass

Pass

8 - 10

Normal 

Pass

Pass

Pass

11+

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Next roll on the correct column based on your situation.

Run

Normal

Pass 

Run 1

Run 3

Run 3

Run 2

Run 3

Run 4

Run 3

Run 4

Run 5

Run 4

Run 4

Run 6

Run 5

Run 5

Pass

Run 6

Run 6

Pass 

Run 7

Pass

Pass 

Run 8

Pass

Pass 

Pass 

Pass

Pass

Pass 

Pass

Pass 

Pass 

Pass 

Pass

Pass 

Pass

Pass

This gives you your play type. And for a run it tells you what hole the ball carrier must target.  Example, a Run 3 means the Ball carrier must target the hole between the left tackle and the left guard. (Odd numbers go left, even numbers indicate a run to the right).

pivot offensive players to fit the play. I allow two pivots.

If in a 2-minute drill situation roll 2d6; snake eyes indicate that you do a run play, all other results are pass. If you are killing the clock then roll 2d6 but snake eyes mean a pass with all others being a run.

• Like 4

This system does not specify which formation to use.  Instead I try to use formations that complement the team’s capabilities but that has the flexibility to carry out a surprise Run result when you were expecting a pass play.

I do use timeouts (3 per half) as a way to alter the dice roll.   So if you roll a play that you just know would be a disaster you can use a timeout to re-roll the play dice. If you have no timeouts left you are stuck with the original roll.

or you may instead use the time out to shift the Run play to the opposite direction but keeping the corresponding hole to target, ie a run 4 becomes a run 3.  

so anyway I hope this gives you some ideas.

• Like 4

I use a single dice for my 6 defensive formations but here is offense. I use 2 decks of poker cards, both of which have a red and black joker plus an extra card that is designed to "keep the deck in play" if a card gets lost or damaged for a total of what I call 6 specialty cards. Aces through 7's are designated running plays. Black 8's are 5 yard penalties against the defense. Red 8's are 5 yard penalties against the offense. 9's through Queens are pass plays. Red and Black Kings are 10 yard penalties against the offense and defense. The remaining 6 cards involve 15 yard penalties against the offense and defense, a 5 yard penalty with automatic first down in favor of the offense, turnover to the defense at line of scrimmage and automatic touchdowns for either the offense or the defense. I shuffle them for each possession during the game. Not sure if that helps. I hope you find what works perfectly for you, good luck. Blessings, Curt

• Like 3

I prefer electric football when it's focused on the plastic guys and metal field. 

When I played solitaire, I had three offensive formations (pro set for normal,  extra receiver in the slot for obvious pass plays, and a heavy run). Three defensive formations (base 4-3, dime, and goal line run d). 

Down and distance would dictate both teams' formations. I always had at least one RB in the backfield so I could run or pass the ball. Also, I could dump the ball to the RB if receivers weren't open on a pas play. 

I tried to set up the defense as best I could (taking into account what the offense was able to do), but I would always try to move the ball with the offense for both teams. 

Seems kinda formulaic, but we all know how the players can have a mind of their own. So running the same play against the same defense gives different results each time. 

• Like 5

but we all know how the players can have a mind of their own. So running the same play against the same defense gives different results each time. 

To me that's the best part of electric football. you can run the same play against the same defense over and over and will never get the same result. 

• Like 6

On 1/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, Coach Shawn said:

I created a system using 12 sided dice.

I set up offense. I then set up defense.

I determine this based on the chart below:

Yds to

Down

Go 

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

0 - 3

Run

Run

Normal

Normal

4 - 7

Run

Normal

Pass

Pass

8 - 10

Normal 

Pass

Pass

Pass

11+

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Next roll on the correct column based on your situation.

Run

Normal

Pass 

Run 1

Run 3

Run 3

Run 2

Run 3

Run 4

Run 3

Run 4

Run 5

Run 4

Run 4

Run 6

Run 5

Run 5

Pass

Run 6

Run 6

Pass 

Run 7

Pass

Pass 

Run 8

Pass

Pass 

Pass 

Pass

Pass

Pass 

Pass

Pass 

Pass 

Pass 

Pass

Pass 

Pass

Pass

This gives you your play type. And for a run it tells you what hole the ball carrier must target.  Example, a Run 3 means the Ball carrier must target the hole between the left tackle and the left guard. (Odd numbers go left, even numbers indicate a run to the right).

pivot offensive players to fit the play. I allow two pivots.

If in a 2-minute drill situation roll 2d6; snake eyes indicate that you do a run play, all other results are pass. If you are killing the clock then roll 2d6 but snake eyes mean a pass with all others being a run.

NICE AND ORGANIZED!

• Like 2

In the Spring 2010 Issue of the Tweak, Chris LeMay, Chris Markham, and Al Dunham wrote an interesting article on how to play Solitaire.

Chris Markham offered this option:

Chris Markham wanted to create a solitaire game where neither team would have an advantage. “That is when I decided to create the play charts. This allows the dice to determine what plays would be run by both the offense and defense and letting the players decide the outcome of the plays. I just roll the dice before the play, set the guys up and let them have at it.”

I'm more like Chris LeMay. He wrote:

Chris LeMay says, “I just play whatever offense I want against basic defenses with a few situational formations. For example I only play a basic 4-3 or 3-4 defensive alignment with zone pass coverage between the red zones and a 5-4 inside the red zones with 6-3 or 7-4 alignments on obvious short yardage or inside the 10 yard line.

Just about everything I've read in this Forum has been covered in one issue or another of the Tweak.

To see all the stories in the Spring Issue, https://nefgmorg.files.wordpress.com/2020/08/tweak-issue12.pdf

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 2

Thanks, Terry, for reading and posting a link to that issue of "the Tweak" and the article on Solitaire electric football. In case anybody is interested, there is a person working on developing some play cards, that I had a very good conversation with this week. Something that I have tried to do before but just couldn't get it worked out to my satisfaction. I really think this will be a "Game Changer" for the game and hobby. 

image.thumb.png.ad9d2065abec5230e95fd9ad0e855acc.png

image.thumb.png.dbecb6ae79be915c58d392e5ba93dbe7.png

image.thumb.png.c3f4fa14b7947df57fad510b76dda902.png

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, Coach Shawn said:

hey coach i really love this play calling idea i was wondering though what does the normal play call mean does that mean coaches choice?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jayethekxng said:

hey coach i really love this play calling idea i was wondering though what does the normal play call mean does that mean coaches choice?

It means the situation is not necessarily a passing situation or a run situation.  
 Thus a “Normal” category has equal odds of being either a Run play or a Pass play.

• Like 2