London Union Jacks colors?

Hi Coaches,

I'm looking to paint some figures to go along with the prepainted Union Jacks Red Jersey figures that I'm ordering next week (aka next payday 😁).

Does anyone know what colors Tudor uses for the Dark unis, helmets, etc? And is the Union Jack on the helmet a decal or painted?

(And of course, in his honor I'm going to get a head coach figure for Doc Smeby, though I am going to modify the name to the Victoria Regimentals from Victoria, BC, Canada. RIP Coach.)

Edited by Paul Kian

Hey Paul: 

Try Blood Red and Cyan Blue from the Tudor Paint Store. Look under the "Customize" tab. 

If you're following Doc Smeby's spirit, that logo should be hand painted. It was a point of personal pride with him. 

Edited by NO Dave
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NO Dave said:

Hey Paul: 

Try Blood Red and Cyan Blue from the Tudor Paint Store. Look under the "Customize" tab. 

If you're following Doc Smeby's spirit, that logo should be hand painted. It was a point of personal pride with him. 

Perfect, thanks NO Dave! I'll order some of those color paints as well as the figures. Per my usual luck, I seem to have every other Red and Blue EXCEPT those two. 😣

Judging from the pictures, I figured it was a hand painted helmet. I just wanted to check for certain before I undertake that challenge in case there's a shortcut, but I obviously should have known better. 😁

The 'original' figures were made using basic Testors Red #1103 , Gloss White #1145 and Dark Blue #1111 enamels. I don't know if Miggle/Tudor changed from Testors enamels, but if they tried to match it correctly, regular Testors colors should work. And yes, the helmet was originally hand painted, though i think Tudor uses a stamping process for their helmets today.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ravenna Al said:

The 'original' figures were made using basic Testors Red #1103 , Gloss White #1145 and Dark Blue #1111 enamels. I don't know if Miggle/Tudor changed from Testors enamels, but if they tried to match it correctly, regular Testors colors should work. And yes, the helmet was originally hand painted, though i think Tudor uses a stamping process for their helmets today.

Thanks Ravenna Al! I'll see if the Tudor paints that they're selling have a similar color naming scheme- I think they have paints of those names but it's been a few weeks since I last checked. I sure hope they're using what they're selling, and selling what they're using. 😁

Testors should work, depending on what it is that you are doing. I made my own numbers using a British looking font. Since you need an Alps printer to actually print white, I cheated. When you print 'white' on a decal sheet, you are actually leaving a blank space. So, whatever color is under the blank is what shows through. So, I simply painted a small white square on the jerseys and placed the decals on top of that. Now, some of that white square will show outside the decal, so I just painted the edges around the decal red so that it blended into the jersey. The result is a vivid white number on the jersey, more vivid that an actual white numbered decal is. The Testors red was a perfect match for what I did. I also touched up a few ragged stripes on the pants and jerseys this way.

• Thanks 1