Tudor Fantasy Teams

DimeGuy

About two years ago I purchased the 67 big men home and away uniform sets for the Irish Babies, London Union Jacks and Munich Moon Sharks as I plan on creating a solitaire league using these 3 teams. I’ve been curious though if anyone had any information regarding these figures. I’m somewhat aware of why the London Union Jacks were created but I was wondering what the origin stories were for these other teams. I also noticed recently that the Irish Babies are no longer listed on Tudors site. I was wondering if there were other fantasy teams in the past that may also no longer be for sale on the site

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DimeGuy said:

About two years ago I purchased the 67 big men home and away uniform sets for the Irish Babies, London Union Jacks and Munich Moon Sharks as I plan on creating a solitaire league using these 3 teams. I’ve been curious though if anyone had any information regarding these figures. I’m somewhat aware of why the London Union Jacks were created but I was wondering what the origin stories were for these other teams. I also noticed recently that the Irish Babies are no longer listed on Tudors site. I was wondering if there were other fantasy teams in the past that may also no longer be for sale on the site

I actually have two sets of the Irish Babies in White, one Big man and one Regular sized. I also have the same two sets of the Union Jack's, but in their Red Unis. I don't know what it is, but something about the Moon Sharks keeps me from snagging a couple of them, I think it's the fact I'm worried they'll be hard to color match.

I wish they still sold the Babies, because I actually think I would have preferred the Blue Jersey ones in hindsight.

I know for certain that it was Glenn Hardaway who designed the Moon Sharks. He had a Fantasy Solitaire league that used some "off the wall" names. Another was the Swamp Moose., that is the only other oneI I remember. Al Dunham had a cool fantasy solitaire league also with the "Battlin Bozo's of Battle Creek", the "Mennonites", the "Third Reich" and the "Sasquatch" just to name a few.

You can read about some of these leagues and teams in "Solitaire Illustrated" the online magazine I used to write and. 

Solitaire Illustrated and SCPC Gameday – The National Electric Football Game Museum (nefgm.org)

• Like 2

I have the Moon Sharks and I kept the colors but renamed them the Iron Horse. I used black numbers on both the Home and Away jerseys. I gave them black bases with aqua dials.

I also have the Union Jacks and I added green to the jersey and renamed them the Walsh Dragons. They have dark blue bases with scarlet dials. In my solitaire league they are a championship team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blue32 said:

I have the Moon Sharks and I kept the colors but renamed them the Iron Horse. I used black numbers on both the Home and Away jerseys. I gave them black bases with aqua dials.

I also have the Union Jacks and I added green to the jersey and renamed them the Walsh Dragons. They have dark blue bases with scarlet dials. In my solitaire league they are a championship team.

I Like it!! I have both teams, but I have never used them. basically, still sealed in the bag. 

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing about the Irish Babies: they do not match any Gold Paints I've sampled them against. They're almost a green tinted gold and do not match any of the Tudor Gold Paints. I literally took a couple of the figures to Michael's and Jerry's Art-o-rama, and after failing to find matches there either I finally decided to just repaint them a different shade of Gold entirely. I hated that I had to do it, but I had already opened them so it's not like they were worth anything at this point.

For the record, my Irish Babies are going to be renamed the Charleston Cryptids, since the Capital building in Charleston, West Virginia has a Gold painted roof and I like Mothman, Flatwoods Monster, Grafton Monster, etc. (I've been to the Mothman Museum and am planning a trip to the Flat woods Monster museum in 2023). I'm repainting the jersey, helmets, and pants Gold with Blood Red dots for eyes, stripes, and numbers. 😁

Edited by Paul Kian
  • Like 1