The Big Hog Tourney

Capanther

My collection is always changing and recently I have been collecting the tudor original 1967 bigmen teams again. I have pretty much stayed with the tudor original 1969 hogleg teams for my main collection but the bigmen collection has grown again. In the past when playing I have mainly played big vs big and hog vs hog. This tourney I am going to try and match up big teams vs hog teams and see how it plays out. As the tournament progresses I might not be able to keep a big vs hog because i have most of  the hog teams tudor made...but i dont have every team in a bigman teams. I just wanted to have some fun and let everyone go back in time and see some pictures and results of the old classic teams in action....Ill post the first round games then ill show the results of the first game....big browns vs hog giants.

20220113_234344~2.jpg

• Like 3

Game 1

Big browns 17 hog giants 14

This one started out like it was going to be a rout as the browns led 10 to 0 at the half and then scored early in the 3rd to lead 17 to 0....but the giants came roaring back and could have sent the game into overtime but missed a 50 yd field goal....my browns and giants are numbered to represent some of the great players from the 50s..60s...and 70s....great browns from the past include : 32 jim brown...76 lou groza...77 dick schafrath...44 leroy kelly...86 gary collins ..42 paul warfield...89 milt morin....72 gerry sherk...71 walter johnson...and 16 bill nelson.....great giants from the past include : 16 frank gifford....45 homer jones....30 ron johnson...76 rosey grier....42 charlie connerly...44 kyle rote....24 rob carpenter....70 sam huff and 81 andy robustelli ........up next will be the big cowboys vs the hog eagles.

20220113_225419~2.jpg

20220113_230609~2.jpg

20220113_231414~2.jpg

20220113_232009~2.jpg

20220113_233857~2.jpg

• Like 2

This tournament will focus on the old NFL teams before the merger. in 1967 tudor made the first painted teams and there were 16 NFL teams in d and w jerseys. And 9 AFL teams that only came in d jerseys except for the jets. I collected the AFL again first and i have used the AFL big teams in my previous tournaments lately so i decided to use the 16 NFL teams for this tourney....several like the big d browns were or will be the first time i have used them in a game.

• Like 2

Great opening match of the tournament!

Took a while for the Giants to wake up 😂 some of my games are like this, very one sided then all of a sudden the losing team fights back to win or gets so close. Really enjoy the unpredictability only takes a fumble  or a player to become slightly open to change a game just to name only a couple of examples!🙂 

• Like 3

Game 2

Hog eagles 21 big cowboys 17

Great game...norm sneed of the eagles threw 3 td passes 2 to harold jackson...and the game winner to tom woodeshek.....walt garrison had 2 rushing tds for the cowboys....great players from the past include : 16 sneed...29 jackson...37 woodeshek...18 ben hawkins....89 steve zabel....88 gary pedigrew and 60 chuck bednarik.....great cowboys from yesterday include : 32 garrison...17 don meredith...75 jethro pugh...74 bob lilly...30 dan reeves...55 leroy jordan...and 54 chuck howley.....up next will be the big bears vs the hog vikings.

20220114_162310~2.jpg

20220114_162700~2.jpg

20220114_170729~2.jpg

20220114_171326~2.jpg

20220114_172455~2.jpg

20220114_173540~2.jpg

20220114_175747~2.jpg

• Like 3

I'm following this Tourney with a lot of gusto, as I'm planning on using both 67 Big Men and the Regular Haiti/Hog Leg sized figures in my league to represent players over and equal to/under 6'3", respectively.

So far it looks like the extra .05" of height doesn't necessarily mean the Big Men are the Alpha Wolves I thought they might be, as it's 1-1 for each size and both games with close scores. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Kian said:

I'm following this Tourney with a lot of gusto, as I'm planning on using both 67 Big Men and the Regular Haiti/Hog Leg sized figures in my league to represent players over and equal to/under 6'3", respectively.

So far it looks like the extra .05" of height doesn't necessarily mean the Big Men are the Alpha Wolves I thought they might be, as it's 1-1 for each size and both games with close scores. 😁

Yes....i started collecting the bigmen again about a year ago...i think im up to 24 of the 42 original bm teams.....back when i had all of the bm and most of the hogs...i used to just rotate tournaments and play all bm or all hog .....this one is kind of an experiment just to see how they do head to head....in the first game i thought the hog giants pushed the big browns around and the smaller hog team actually controlled the line of scrimmage and had a better running game....the browns just got a few breaks and won.....in the eagles cowboys game the big cowboys pushed the hog eagles around and the hog eagles won through the air....as far as bases....i use the same 22 for a tournament and when i finish a game ...the next 2 teams will get 5 from one team and 6 from the other....i just randomly switch the bases so the difference in the running game could have simply be the big cowboys simply had 5 stronger widetops than the big browns did in the first game simply by luck of the draw....but both games so far have been good close games....having fun and looking forward to playing the big bears and hog vikings soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Capanther said:

Yes....i started collecting the bigmen again about a year ago...i think im up to 24 of the 42 original bm teams.....back when i had all of the bm and most of the hogs...i used to just rotate tournaments and play all bm or all hog .....this one is kind of an experiment just to see how they do head to head....in the first game i thought the hog giants pushed the big browns around and the smaller hog team actually controlled the line of scrimmage and had a better running game....the browns just got a few breaks and won.....in the eagles cowboys game the big cowboys pushed the hog eagles around and the hog eagles won through the air....as far as bases....i use the same 22 for a tournament and when i finish a game ...the next 2 teams will get 5 from one team and 6 from the other....i just randomly switch the bases so the difference in the running game could have simply be the big cowboys simply had 5 stronger widetops than the big browns did in the first game simply by luck of the draw....but both games so far have been good close games....having fun and looking forward to playing the big bears and hog vikings soon.

That's a really good point, the bases probably have more to do with player performance than the figure itself, within reason of course.

I'm looking forward to that game as well, as I really don't hear anyone talk about any good classic Bears/Vikes match ups (then again I was born in 1990 and they've both been mediocre-to-terrible since the late 80s, outside of a couple fluke seasons here and there) so this will be a good mix from the usual games. 👍

• Like 2

When i first started watching nfl football and playing electric football in the late 60s....the vikings were really tuff during the joe kapp and fran tarkenton era of late 60s and most of the 70s.....the bears were very strong in the early to mid 60s and then fizzled out till the 80s when ditka...payton and buddy ryans 46 defense came around. But im sure when these 2 met twice a year it was always a hard hitting game regardless of who was 2-8 and who was 8-2 every year.....great memories.

Edited by Capanther
Add
  • Like 2

Game 3

Bears 28 vikings 7

This was the first game in the tourney where one team truly dominated the other....gale sayers had 3 tds for the bears and mike ditka caught a nice pass from jack connanon.....bill brown and joe kapp hooked up on a circle route out of the backfield for the vikings lone score.....great bears from yesterday include : 40 sayers...89 ditka...11 concannon...51 dick butkus...87 ed obradovich....81 doug atkins and 55 doug buffone....great vikings included : 30 brown...11 kapp...84 gene washington...41 ed Osborne....88 alan page...70 jim marshall...59 lonnie warwick...and 81 carl eller.....up next is the  hog washington team   vs the big st louis cardinals.

20220116_204312~2.jpg

20220116_210150~2.jpg

20220116_205210~2.jpg

20220116_204753~2.jpg

20220116_213515~2.jpg

• Like 3

I'll take the Bears winning over what typically happened during that period, which was basically Packers winning every other year in a blowout. I like Bart and the Boys, but man that would get pretty old (kind of like the Patriots/Brady winning just about every other year lol.)

Funnily enough, the Vikings actually won a championship the last year (1969-70) before the Super Bowl became a thing. If only they could have carried that into the 70s, it would have been a totally different league.

• Like 2

Oh I get the sentiment, the Pack is my second/third favorite team behind the Panthers (I'll possibly pull for the Skins/whatever they're going to be called again if Snyder ever sells them....that January 3rd fan rail collapse was the final straw 😒). 

I just know that after watching a bunch of the 60s Packers Championship games on the NFL network over the years that most of them were snoozers where they led basically the entire game. The other Champions had more dynamic games for the most part....then again this is after 30-50+ years of hindsight and reflection from a 31 year old judging games older than his parents, so YMMV and all that jazz. I could also be thinking of some 70s Super Bowls as well and getting them mixed up. 😁

Edited by Paul Kian
  • Like 1

Packers owned the 60s....steelers owned the 70s....the 80s saw...the rise of the 49ers...bears...giants and washington for 2 or 3 years a piece....but all 4 were in the thick of it pretty much the whole decade.....imagine if norwoods field goal hadnt been wide in that first sb appearance for the bills...they might have been a 4 straight sb wins instead of loses in early 90s. 

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Kian said:

I'll take the Bears winning over what typically happened during that period, which was basically Packers winning every other year in a blowout. I like Bart and the Boys, but man that would get pretty old (kind of like the Patriots/Brady winning just about every other year lol.)

Funnily enough, the Vikings actually won a championship the last year (1969-70) before the Super Bowl became a thing. If only they could have carried that into the 70s, it would have been a totally different league.

When i think of the vikings of the 70s and the bills of the 90s....they will always be known as the teams that lost 4 super bowls.....but they dominated their conference just came up 1 game short each year of true dynasty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Kian said:

Oh yeah, I actually prefer the AFL championship games, at least the ones I've seen from that period. Prettier Uniforms, and the 60s Raiders and Jets really were almost 10 years ahead of what 70s football eventually became.

The first time i saw those old blue and white uniforms of the rams of the late 60s....big roman gabriel standing in the pocket and throwing with a couple def linemen hangong off of him...and deacon jones and merlin olsen running over opposing offensive linemen i knew i had found my favorite team....the late 60s and all of the 70s....i watched my rams lose in the playoffs ..usually in the nfc championship....but i kept saying next year they will do it........the first 2 tudor football teams i bought was the white rams and the dark jets...because the jets had just won super bowl 3....i bet i played 50 games between those 2 teams....great memories.

• Like 1

Game 4

Washington 14 St. Louis 7

Late in the 4th qt the cardinals had drove down inside the redskins 15..but with 3 plays left in the game and facing a 4th and 11...jim hart could not connect to jackie smith and larry brown ran out the last 2 plays to allow washington to advance to the 2nd round. Outstanding st louis players from the past include : 21 terry metcalfe...17 jim hart..81 jackie smith...22 roger worrell ...72 dan dierdorf....and 67 larry stallings.....great redskins from yesterday include : 43 larry brown...42 charlie taylor...55 chris hanburger....66 joe jacoby....and 65 dave butz.....up next is the bigmen packers vs the hog saints.

20220119_010905~2.jpg

20220119_005508~2.jpg

20220119_011420~2.jpg

20220119_005027~2.jpg

20220119_005717~2.jpg

20220119_014037~2.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome sounding game, sounds like it was a good tight battle wire to wire! I prefer the Bright Red Cards (you know, like an actual Cardinal) to the modern subdued Darker Red they have now. Mixed feelings on the Lombardi Gold era Redskins, but it worked for the time I suppose, cuz there were tons of Red Jersey teams in that era. 😆

The fact that Jacoby (and many of the other Hogs for that matter) is not in the Hall of Fame is an outright shame. Joe was the archetypical 90s-2000s Left Tackle, despite playing almost entirely in the 80s: 6'7", 300lbs and could pull like a Guard and cover 3-4 Defense's Linebackers at a time when almost no one ran it. He also played in 4 Super Bowls, winning 3. If I'm not mistaken, on the play that Theismann got....well, Theismann'ed, he was off the field getting examined for injury; so it stands to reason he probably would have kept Carl Banks and Lawrence Taylor away if he was on the field that moment.

Edited by Paul Kian
  • Like 2

Yes ...the bigmen cardinals are more of a true red.....the hogs are a much darker red.....and i agree on the hall of fame...so many great players are not in it....id also like to see a focus on getting more of the men from the era of the 60s and 70s in too.....pro football took off and became a must see event in america in the late 50s with the giants and colts games and really exploded onto the scene after that....great players from those years were the reason and dont get enough credit for that.

• Like 2

Game 5

Packers 21 saints 10

Packers win by 11 but really this game was decided on 1 play at mid field ...trailing 14 to 10...the saints had the ball and driving in the 4th qt...but billy kilmers pass was intercepted by carroll dale of the packers and 3 plays later bart star found jim taylor down the middle to seal the deal for the packers. Great Packers include : 84 dale...15 starr....31 taylor...57 ken bowman....42 john brokington....and 87 willie davis.....great saints from yesterday include : 17 kilmer...46 danny Abramowitz....38 tony baker....83 dave parks....and 48 andy livingston.....up next is a matchup of two rivals i have played many times ....the big w rams and the hog d 49ers.

20220120_000329~2.jpg

20220119_235907~2.jpg

20220120_002235~2.jpg

20220120_005020~2.jpg

• Like 5