Packers favorites vs NFL favorites

Nanook

Thinking of doing a solitaire game of my favorite team (packers) vs favorite non packers. Only players I have seen play so no Jim Thorpe or  Curley Lambeau. And my favorites but not necessarily the greatest. My favorite Packer QB would be Lynn Dickey and backfield would include John Kuhn and John Brockington. My favorite NFL backfield would be Fran Tarkenton (vikings) at QB with Robert Newhouse (cowboys ) and Earl Campbell (oilers). My NFL team would be dominated by 70’s and 80’s players and mostly cowboys, 49ers, oilers and raiders as these were the teams I enjoyed watching the most back then. Very few if any modern players will make my team as the game and players have changed so much since then and I just don’t enjoy it like I did back then. I’m curious if anyone else has done this or thought about it and who would be on your teams.

• Like 1

The only players I don’t have in my solitaire league that I would have to come up with would be Alex Karras from the lions and Butkus and Sayers of the bears. Guess it’s time I add those 2 teams to my league.

• Like 1

My league includes players from the 60's through the 90s.  I don't include players from 2000 on for the same reason Nanook doesn't include modern players. 

As far as Packers players, I play Favre at qb, although it was a tough decision over Starr, Taylor at fullback (Brockington backing up as they were both fullbacks), Hornung at halfback, Lofton and Sharpe at flanker and split end, Coffman at tight end, the line - Skoronski, Gillingham, Ringo, Kramer, Gregg.  Defensive line - Davis, Hanner, Jordan, Alderidge, LInebackers - Robinson, Nittschke, Carr, Corners - Adderley, Ellis, Safeties - Butler, Wood.  As you can see, I like the old guys, although a lot of later players fill out my 2nd teamers and taxi squads. 😊

Also, I agree with zak99b5 that the Lions and Bears should get the crummy bases to match the actual teams!  🤣

Gillingham, Nitschke,and Kramer definitely make my team as they are 3 of my all time favorites.Tausher is my right tackle  as he is another favorite as is Ken Bowman. ( yes I do tend to favor Wisconsin players) Skoronski was the most underrated  player on Lombardi packers and should be in the hall of fame. Ted Hendricks makes my NFL team but he is also on my Packer team for the one great year he played for them. John Jurkivic makes my team. He may not have been a great all time player but he was a great guy that I enjoyed talking to. What is great about doing a team like this is who is great to one person wouldn’t make another persons taxi squad.

• Like 2

Nanook, I agree wholeheartedly that the great thing about this is you can fit the players to how you feel about them.  I've always been partial to the '66 and '67 Packers, but have also liked a lot of the later players.  Hendrichs isn't on my Packers team because he starts for the Colts! 😊