Quarantine Solitaire League

rollertaco

Hope everyone out there is safe and healthy.  My son and I have decided to start a solitaire league to help pass the time and to help me stay sane.  We started basing up our collection last nite.  We plan to have all 32 NFL teams, but for right now we are missing some figures so we'll have to start the schedule with a core group and then fill in once we order some replacements.

We plan to host a combine event on our Tudor 2000 field during the week.  That will probably consist of running all the players on the field and switching around a few bases to get them onto the best players for each base.  I'll also have my trusty tweaking pliers to improve performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty cool...... I my self was forced to self isolate so figured it was a great time to play some electric football, seeing as all other sports are on hold.

If you don't mind me asking what solitaire rules do you play by as I will be looking to get something going here and haven't had much experience with playing alone.

Any resources or rule books you can suggest would be much appreciated.

wanted to let you know I found on the Miniature Football Coaches Assoc. Facebook group a set of rules called EFHL core rule book, which is suppose to be good for solitaire games as well but was looking at the size of it (50 pages) and was wondering if you are using a set of rules that are a bit more simplified?

If not all good and I will make these work.

I use a homebrew rule set.  Mostly it's a holdover from an old Electric Football league here in Ohio, the MidOhio EFL with some modifications to prevent myself from skewing the results.  I use a play caller I made in excell.  I usually will opt for passing sticks, but with this large of a league I don't want to have to tweak every receiver for perfect straightness, so I might use a mixture.  

I attached an old copy of Mid Ohio rules and my excell play caller to this post...

LEAGUE RULES.doc Postalo Play Caller.xls

• Like 1

i use the ToePro rule book which can be found in the ToePro Facebook Group.  It's in the "Files" section which I do believe includes one or two other rule books for EF.  ToePro requires a full base width split between offensive linemen. I love this rule.  No more rugby style EF of two piles pushing against one another.  It also has an "ineligible receiver downfield" rule.  If an ineligible receiver is 10 yards downfield from the line of scrimmage and you throw a pass you get flagged.  This is a great rule as well which prevents a QB from sitting back in the pocket all day and figures running all over the board.  It's more like real football and rule like this and the line split rule makes the action more like a real football game.  Check out the blocking on this attached play.  The RG and RT turn the defenders away from the hole while the TE turns the defender head up with him to the outside.  Using dial bases on the O-Line really helps in play design and blocking.  Makes it much easier for a good double team block as well.

On 3/24/2020 at 6:55 PM, rollertaco said:

I use a homebrew rule set.  Mostly it's a holdover from an old Electric Football league here in Ohio, the MidOhio EFL with some modifications to prevent myself from skewing the results.  I use a play caller I made in excell.  I usually will opt for passing sticks, but with this large of a league I don't want to have to tweak every receiver for perfect straightness, so I might use a mixture.  

I attached an old copy of Mid Ohio rules and my excell play caller to this post...

LEAGUE RULES.doc 79 kB · 2 downloads Postalo Play Caller.xls 32.5 kB · 3 downloads

Roller,

I’m trying to get back into the game after having discovered how it’s grown up since I played as a kid in the 70’s & 80’s.  Do you know if there re any leagues or clubs in the Dayton area?   I’d like to get hooked up with some experienced players so I can ra-learn the game correctly.  

Thanks

• Like 1

For my solitaire league, I require 2 running plays per set of downs, essentially permitting passing only on 3rd down. The passing team then must allow 5 seconds for receivers to get down field, or for the QB to be sacked in that time. If a lineman drifts further downfield than the receiver furthest downfield, the QB must then scramble if the QB has an open field or I can declare the ball to be thrown away. For a pass, I just use the Tudor app to determine a complete or incomplete pass. It works well, but once the current season I have started is completed, I will evaluate my current rules and make some modifications. My league has 10 teams currently, divided into 2 divisions. Currently, I play with Denver, San Francisco, Kansas City, Green Bay, Miami, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Cleveland and the N.Y. Giants. For my next season, I am considering adding 2 more teams and dividing into 3, 4 team divisions. 

• Like 2

use the 4 quarters 15 plays (TB, Extra pont doesn't count as a play) which i use the CLM design offense/defense play chart as well as penalties fumbles. etc..option plus an homemade pass interference rules (the halo rules from Buzzball) on a 6 games 32 NFL teams (which i should get them soon) season which i do some tests and so far, the results are very good as for the speed of the game as well sa the scores so far. For passing, i use the passing sticks (red, white and blue) from a guy rom Kansas City and we have so much fun!!

Hope this helps, regards

Benster from north of the border

Hello all, I have a few thoughts on solitaire leagues. My nephew and I, since we live next to each other. play a lot for ourselves. To curb possible "iffy influences" here is how we take "personal control" out of the game as much as possible. Using 2 decks of cards, the Aces through Sevens are the mutually agreed upon running plays we have. The black Eights are 5 yard penalties that are against the defense and the red Eights are 5 yard penalties against the offense. The Nine through Queen cards are mutually agreed upon pass plays we have developed. Kings are, depending on black or red for defense or offense, are 10 yard penalties . The jokers have been labled as specialty cards. We have 15 yard penalties against the defense and offense, turnover to the defending team at the line of scrimmage, turnover for touchdown by the defending team, 5 yard penalty with automatic first down in favor of the offense, and automatic touchdown for the offense. We shuffle the cards for each change of possession and start of the first and third quarters. We have 6 defensive plays which are determined by the roll of a dice.

We have home and away uniforms for 33 teams. This includes the Houston Oilers. It makes for 11 divisions of 3 teams. We started way back in 2005, first listing the teams in alphabetical order. Each team plays their division teams twice, once at home and once away. We have a 12 team playoff tier where all 11 division winners plus the best of the second place division team [ranked from 1 to 12] meet and the top 4 division winners earn a bye as they narrow things down to our Superbowl winner. Example, the 12th placed wildcard meets the 11th place division winner and that winner then meets the 4th ranked division winner. 9 and ten's winner meets the 3rd place division winner and I'm guessing you can figure out the rest of the playoff picture. A whole season takes about a calendar year to complete but we love it.

The teams are ranked 1 to 33 by win-loss record, if tied, the offensive point scores, and if still tied, the defensive points allowed [just like our playoffs]. Just once 2 teams have tied in all 3 so I then reviewed previous season results to determine where those teams ended up in what division for the following season. Still we have quite a few teams that have not played each other but it is real interesting to see how teams and seasons develop with as little "intervention" as possible.

While this works beautifully for us, you have to develop what works best for you. Hope you enjoyed this brief post. Blessings of health and happiness to you all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been playing solitaire electric football since 1963.  I developed a league with 6 teams in 1966.  Since then, i've expanded my league to 10 teams, 12 teams, and now 16 teams over the years.  Each team consists of 54 players plus kickers and punters and have home and away jerseys.  The league is divided into 2 conferences of 2 divisions with 4 teams in each division.  Playoffs consist of 4 division winners plus 1 wildcard from each conference (best record within the division not counting the division winners).  The division winners with the best record in each conference get byes, and the wildcard and the other division winner within the conference play.  The winner of those games play the bye team in their conference.  Then the conference winners play for the championship in the Super Bowl.

I have developed my on set of rules using dice rolls to determine offensive/defensive formations and run/pass and blitz/coverage packages for each down by team using a multi-stop system.  It seems to work well for me.  It takes a long time to play a season (3-4 years) as I play using a 30 play quarter (not including plays out of bounds, incomplete passes, penalties, etc, which would stop the clock normally. I realize most would think 3-4 years is a long time, but it works for me.  I keep individual statistics for each player on each team (starters, backups, special teams) using spreadsheets for each team.  Also track individual players throughout their careers in my league using spreadsheets to record their stats. My current teams are made up of "all-stars" by team who played between the years 1960 to 2000.  It's fun watching players such as Troy Vincent covering Bob Hayes, even though they didn't play against one another.  Also, I enjoy looking at the stats for players over their careers in my league.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Got some games to report...

My son consistently prevails.  I think it's that I he might not be so impartial in letting the action play out.  He changes and picks out his favorites the same way I did when I was a kid.  He thinks about logos, colors, and which mascot would actually win in a fight.  Somehow he believes that a Ram is all powerfull and would win against just about anything.

Week 1

Rams 20

Titans 6

Seahawks 7

Bengals 8

Steelers 14

Ravens 17

Cowboys 2

Eagles 13

The games were a ton of fun and my son is really learning how to play.  I can also see him learning some of the rules of real football along the way.  Bonus!

On 4/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, WeeVikes said:

Roller,

I’m trying to get back into the game after having discovered how it’s grown up since I played as a kid in the 70’s & 80’s.  Do you know if there re any leagues or clubs in the Dayton area?   I’d like to get hooked up with some experienced players so I can ra-learn the game correctly.  

Thanks

There is an Ohio based league that I used to play with.  We would gather for weekend tournaments.  I don't know of any Dayton based leagues, but I know that there are several of us around.  

I thought id share how i play...i have the original tudor teams 1969 hogleg pre merger era....i have the original 16 nfl teams and the 10 afl teams...i play a single elimination tournament....right now i am nearing the end of the nfl bracket...once the nfl champ is crowned i will then play the 10 afl teams in a bracket and then play the super bowl ....i like it because i use every team i have each tournament and i can play a whole season in about 25 games total....anyway...just thought id share

20200622_221111.jpg

Edited by Capanther
  • Like 1