Information

Daryl Collins

12 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

Found what I needed once I got home from work, thanks to Shores and Garcia.

The best source for anything regarding Tudor and electric football in general. At least for the period of 1949 - 1989. 

• Like 2

I just noticed the black helmet Saints on the side of the game. Further evidence that the NFL 'planned' to let the Saints have black helmets that season and then 'mysteriously' reversed the decision.

The truth is out there.   Enjoy the Journey.   T43.    🏈♾️

PS.  I'm delighted you won the auction. 😃👍

• Like 2

Thanks Coach T.!

I was as surprised as anyone! My backup plan was to find a Miggle or Tudor Super Bowl board for a relatively inexpensive transaction and skin it like the ones I have. It was looking like about $80 minus shipping and taxes, but I got this one for that WITH shipping and tax! We’ll see if it works. Like I said, I may just end up with a curiosity piece.

Nevertheless, always a journey. Right?

Journey On!

• Like 1

They wrote the definitive tome on electric football. “The Unforgettable Buzz”. Also, “Full Color Electric Football”, and “The Electric Football Wishbook”. If you love Electric Football, these books are manna for the EF coach’s soul! I don’t know what has happened to the authors since a while now. My last contact with Earl Shores was about 2 years ago, give or take. I got the feeling they had taken things about as far as they could. 
All three books are classics. Definitive. Exhaustive. One heck of a lot of fun!

Journey On!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daryl Collins said:

Definitive. Exhaustive. One heck of a lot of fun!

Definitive — absolutely!

Exhaustive — on every aspects, except bases. Shores and Garcia describe how the bases were 'invented' and how they evolved within the context of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but to the best of my knowledge they never mention the companies who made the bases. They never explain who made the decision to give the single clips 8 prongs and the TTC bases only 4 prongs.

One heck of a lot of fun! — Definitely! I use my highlighters for bookmarks, and I've created tabs.

The historical context is fascinating. I lived through those years, but I was a kid with a kid's perspective. 

Enjoy the Journey.   T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

why that subject got the short shrift?

I will speculate the answer is in the title of Chapter 19 of the Unforgettable Buzz, The NFL Comes to Life in Miniature.

Miniature Roman Gabriel, miniature John Brodie, miniature Joe Namath. All of our favorite players in miniature. On page 279 Shores and Garcia write, "In living rooms all over the U.S., tens of thousands of tiny Browns and Giants, Colts and Packers, Bears and Cardinals were vibrating into each other, and into the hearts of young boys."

Never mind how the bases worked — it was the players that sold the game. And it still is today. 

I was watching a video on tweaking and the instructor kept referring to his model as Terrell Suggs.

On page 241 Shores and Garcia write, "Many a boy lamented having a team with a guard or tackle figure who could not only run 100 yards in a dead straight line, he ran it in 9.0 seconds flat. Invariably this same team came with ends and running backs that spun in perfect five-yard diameter circles. If only you could turn your guard into a running back. With Tudor's new (single-clip) base system a kid would be able to do just that."

Problem solved.

The marketing plan was to sell more bases, not tweak existing bases. Tweaking was for old fashion players on bases that couldn't be removed.

So, I believe Shores and Garcia understood the style is what sold the car, not the engine.

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 5

On 8/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, Terry43 said:

Never mind how the bases worked — it was the players that sold the game. And it still is today. 

Speaking of bases,  I was surprised to discover that the Gotham bases actually run very well.   And their “adjustment” method was to pivot the player on the single peg connector.  This also works pretty well. 
But Tudor won the sales battle despite this.  Tudors better size, sculpts, and of course NFL painted teams won the day.
  As Terry43 said, “So, I believe Shores and Garcia understood the style is what sold the car, not the engine.“

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coach Shawn said:

Gotham bases actually run very well.   And their “adjustment” method was to pivot the player on the single peg connector.  This also works pretty well.

Now you've got me intrigued! 😃👍

Perhaps it is time for a Gotham-only Expansion Draft. 🤔 Getting 80 players certainly wouldn't be a problem on eBay.

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 2

So, I got my 619 black helmet Saints board today. $16.95 shipping cost. (Why are some seller’s shipping costs so doggone high!?!) it was packaged extremely well. Both teams were unbroken and intact. Most of the pieces were present. The board was immaculate and so clean! The question was….does it work?

Yes. It does. For what I paid for this on eBay, it is a rare, solid win. I’ll post pics later.

Journey On!!

• Like 4

The 619 field surface measurements are 29 1/2” X 15”. So I don’t see a field cover in those dimensions. Oh well, didn’t see that coming. 

You can get a field cover in any size you want. I am sure Tudor can do one that size if you request it. I would check the size again because I have the playing field surface calculated as 29 1/4" x 15 1/4".  

• Like 3

On 8/22/2024 at 7:48 PM, Daryl Collins said:

They wrote the definitive tome on electric football. “The Unforgettable Buzz”. Also, “Full Color Electric Football”, and “The Electric Football Wishbook”. If you love Electric Football, these books are manna for the EF coach’s soul! I don’t know what has happened to the authors since a while now. My last contact with Earl Shores was about 2 years ago, give or take. I got the feeling they had taken things about as far as they could. 
All three books are classics. Definitive. Exhaustive. One heck of a lot of fun!

Journey On!!

I have the two super classic books, but I didn't know about the 'wishbook'. Gotta have it. Anyway to still get that bad boy to add to my collection? 

• Like 3