The Number 0

Hi fellow Coaches and Forumites,

Now that the NCAA has allowed players to wear the number 0 starting this season, are any of you thinking about incorporating it into your own rosters? I literally just found out about this after watching the whacky ending of the Rutgers game last weekend and noticing that one of the wideouts was sporting a goose egg on his uniform. 🤔

I always enjoyed seeing Jim Otto's "Double Bucks" on his Jersey, so I'm going to include 0 and 00 in my solitaire league (as two separate numbers). I may even consider putting them on some of my NFL Teams down the line. Commish. Goodell can't fine me for that afterall....er, right guys? 😁

Stay safe out there,

-PK

Edited by Paul Kian
  • Like 2

I always use the numbers 0 and 00 when creating historical NFL /AFL rosters. Colleges obviously had to go to using those numbers because of the number of players allowed on a team's roster. The NFL stopped using those numbers in 1984. I also have a custom Titans jersey with the number "0". 

Edited by nefgm.org
  • Like 2

Awesome, I'm glad that I'm not committing total Electro-Ball Blasphemy by using Zeroes on my jerseys. 😆 I know they're legal in the CFL and most Arena leagues as well.

I have always thought that the NFL should bring back those numbers, as they're retiring numbers left and right and already had to make some modifications here recently (Receivers now can use numbers in the Teens, Linebackers and Tight Ends can now can use 40s, etc). 53 players can burn up numbers pretty quickly. Along with opening up the single digits to WRs, I think adding 0 and 00 would give just a little more breathing room, even if they reserved those numbers solely for the wimpy Kickers and Punters (it's ok, I was a Punter in High School so I can make these kind of jokes 😆).

• Like 2

Also, I have lots of players with "illegal" numbers for their position as my solitaire league consists of NFL players from 1960 through 1999.  Players such as Flanker Frank Gifford (16-Giants), Halfback Paul Hornung (5-Packers), Tight End Bob Tucker (38-Giants), Linebacker Karl Mecklenberg (77-Broncos) to name a few are currently in my league.  So why not bring back the 0 and 00?  I always liked them, although Otto's and Burrough's  00s were a pain to put on the figures. 😊

• Like 2