Homestretch before season

Greg F

My Hall of Fame game is 20 days away.  The Ravens will play the Buccaneers in a battle of  championship game losers.  

I’m finishing up bases and rules.  Hopefully, I’ll get 75 bases done.  Maybe next year I can have enough for every player.  Notable rule changed will be 2 point conversion from the 8 yard line, no stacking on defense or at WR, and an extended period for OT in playoffs.  The new NFL rule that each team gets a possession in OT made for a couple of absurd OT playoff games in my 2022 season.

I’ll also be instituting the use of “freeze frames”.  Any suggestion for rules regarding these will be greatly appreciated.

Notable first week games:

Giants (east division champs) @ Seahawks (SB champs)

Steelers @ Titans in throwback Oilers unis (both 2022 playoff teams)

Dolphins vs Chiefs (both 2022 playoff teams) in Frankfurt, Germany 

Ravens at Colts (both 2022 division champs)

Packers @ Buccaneers (battle of former central division foes.  As Berman termed it, “The Bay of Pigs”  😀

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg F said:

I’ll also be instituting the use of “freeze frames”.  Any suggestion for rules regarding these will be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, there are no rules that have been written governing the specific use of Freeze Frames 

Freeze Frames were created primarily to hold the two defensive backs designated as safeties in place (zone coverage) during the phase of a passing play when the receivers are running their routes and before the board is stopped to attempt a pass. 

So really up to you how you want to use them. 

Some possible uses;

• to hold a QB in shotgun formation.
  • to hold a running back in place for a delayed handoff on a draw play ort other running play. 
  • to hold a receiver in place for a quick outlet pass.
  • to hold defensive backs in place for zone coverage.
  • to hold kickoff or punt returners in place until after the ball has been kicked.
  • to hold the kicker or punter in place to act as a safety valve in kickoff or punt return coverage.

Basically, using a Freeze Frame eliminates the need for having to create separate "staionary" bases for specific situations and uses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nefgm.org said:

As far as I know, there are no rules that have been written governing the specific use of Freeze Frames 

Freeze Frames were created primarily to hold the two defensive backs designated as safeties in place (zone coverage) during the phase of a passing play when the receivers are running their routes and before the board is stopped to attempt a pass. 

So really up to you how you want to use them. 

Some possible uses;

• to hold a QB in shotgun formation.
  • to hold a running back in place for a delayed handoff on a draw play ort other running play. 
  • to hold a receiver in place for a quick outlet pass.
  • to hold defensive backs in place for zone coverage.
  • to hold kickoff or punt returners in place until after the ball has been kicked.
  • to hold the kicker or punter in place to act as a safety valve in kickoff or punt return coverage.

Basically, using a Freeze Frame eliminates the need for having to create separate "staionary" bases for specific situations and uses.

What if a CB hits the WR while still in the frame?  I was thinking about making him ineligible if he gets touched while in the frame.

• Like 2

Do whatever you want to do. The frame is considered to be an extension of the player's base. Typically, if the receiver is being touched by a defender, he is considered covered and ineligible to receive a pass and the defender is ineligible to make an interception.

The frames are designed to temporarily immobilize a player. i think the main thing to consider when using freeze frames is at what point in the progression of a play do you remove that player from the frame and allow him to participate in the play as he normally would. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Do whatever you want to do. The frame is considered to be an extension of the player's base. Typically, if the receiver is being touched by a defender, he is considered covered and ineligible to receive a pass and the defender is ineligible to make an interception.

The frames are designed to temporarily immobilize a player. i think the main thing to consider when using freeze frames is at what point in the progression of a play do you remove that player from the frame and allow him to participate in the play as he normally would. 

I think I’ll have fun with them.  Mainly want to use them on draw plays and defensive coverage.  But, I’ve considered WR screens as well.  I’ve got to figure out how to run that play.  

• Like 2

Very intricate play design. Way above my pay grade. Not sure I would call it bungled though. Had he lost yardage then sure. Looks like he gained 2 or 3 yards. Chalk it up to good D. The only screen that I've ever designed is the RB coming out of the backfield, ie: your blocking FB. One reason for my lack of creativity can be attributed to the rule that only the QB can pivot, and then he must be in the backfield AND he can only pivot once per play. Also, I'm just not as creative. 😜

• Like 3

On 8/12/2023 at 7:22 AM, Bob Davis said:

the rule that only the QB can pivot, and then he must be in the backfield

I've watched videos on YouTube and some coaches have three pivots (Snap, Read, Scramble), but once the play starts I don't pivot at all. I think the Long Island Electric Football League is like that. I used the WR pivot because I was desperate. My preferred method — lining up the WR backwards with a base that has a 20 yard curve — has even worse results.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:22 AM, Bob Davis said:

Also, I'm just not as creative. 😜

All who play electric football have straight-As in their creativity classes and the patience of a saint. 😇 

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.  🏈♾️

• Like 2

This will be my first season of playing with bases that all have a much better amount of  control.  I’m looking forward to it.

I’m interested to see the plays I can now design.  It worries me that maybe a few of the bases my be too good for the others. Lol

But, I will adjust!

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 11:32 AM, Greg F said:

It worries me that maybe a few of the bases my be too good for the others. Lol

That is the team building process.  
In my solitaire league I create parity by giving the weaker teams more new bases next season.

I enjoy watching a team develop over time .

• Like 3