Safeties

Greg F

Very seldom, like none!!  It just doesn't happen that often even in the NFL. I did find an instance where the NFL went the entire 1943 season without a safety being scored. For it to happen in solitaire electric football play, it almost has to be an instance of stopping the board to pass with the QB in the end zone and in the pocket with no eligible receiver open. Basically, a coverage sack in the end zone. It really just depends on if your game play allows for things to occur that would normally be considered a safety in real football. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Basically, a coverage sack in the end zone.

Hi. An outstanding question! In 30 seasons I have record of only 8 safeties. In Season 6, on August 28, 1988, the Oughtin' Otters scored two safeties, by different players, in the same game. Both safeties were the result of coverage sacks.

THEN, July 14, 2022, the Oughtin' Otters OLB #50 scored two safeties in the same game! Once again, both safeties were the result of coverage sacks.

Last bit of trivia, In Fruit Bowl 23, the Meteor scored a safety by tackling the Blue Jay receiver in the End Zone.

Enjoy the Journey T43 🏈♾️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. Inside the ten I usually run the ball rather than pass. Inside the ten passing is hampered because the QB doesn't have the full 20-yard drop back yards allowed by rule. 

Running the ball out of the End Zone is usually easier than running anywhere else on the field because of the slump of the field. The running back is literally running downhill. 😃

Finally, on a run play inside the ten I use the tight ends to block the edge rushers (loopers) so I lose two potential targets.

These three things add up to rare safeties.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Terry43 said:

Hi. Inside the ten I usually run the ball rather than pass. Inside the ten passing is hampered because the QB doesn't have the full 20-yard drop back yards allowed by rule. 

Running the ball out of the End Zone is usually easier than running anywhere else on the field because of the slump of the field. The running back is literally running downhill. 😃

Finally, on a run play inside the ten I use the tight ends to block the edge rushers (loopers) so I lose two potential targets.

These three things add up to rare safeties.

The only time I pass out of that position is if one team is way behind in the game.  

• Like 2

I had two safeties this season. One was a sack, and the other was a runner tackled. Fun fact: My Season 14 Super Bowl was decided by a safety. The Steelers were trailing 7-6 mid third quarter when Rams QB Doug Williams base crossed the end line of the endzone as he was looking to pass. That put the Steelers up 8-7.  No more points were scored, thus that was the final score. 6 turnovers and a safety. Strange game. 

Edited by Bob Davis
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Bob Davis said:

I had two safeties this season. One was a sack, and the other was a runner tackled. Fun fact: My Season 14 Super Bowl was decided by a safety. The Steelers were trailing 7-6 mid third quarter when Rams QB Doug Williams base crossed the end line of the endzone as he was looking to pass. That put the Steelers up 8-7.  No more points were scored, thus that was the final score. 6 turnovers and a safety. Strange game. 

That sounds like a fun game.  I like turnovers.  

• Like 4

It is pretty rare, but cool when they happen.  In a recent game, I had Russell Wilson taking one late in the game from a sack up the middle by Doug English of the Detroit Silver Rush.  I've also had in the past when a QB steps on the end line rolling out for a pass but not getting it off in time.

• Like 6