QB throw away

Greg F

I have never allowed the QB to throw away the ball. However, after this season, I will evaluate allowing it for a very specific situation. The specific situation is when all the following apply: 1. there is not a receiver open, 2. the QB has already used his one-time direction change, 3. He is not in imminent danger of being sacked. It seems weird to lose yardage, sometimes BIG yardage just because the QB isn't allowed to change direction and isn't being chased by defenders. 

• Like 1

Hi. The Bay Area Electric Football League 2019 Rules Manual has some interesting rules that touch on throwing the ball away.  

"If a stationary quarterback falls down, forward progress is marked at forward part of the base. At that point, you can throw the ball to an eligible receiver, throw the ball away, or use a scramble if one is available to continue the play. Otherwise the QB is down on the spot.

A fallen QB may still throw a forward pass as long as no contact has been made by a defender to the QB’s base or body which would result in a sack.

The quarterback may drop back no farther than 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. If his base completely exceeds the 20-yard distance from the line of scrimmage, it is considered a coverage sack and the quarterback may not throw a pass. He is considered down at that point beyond 20 yards. The sack yardage cannot exceed 20 yards under these circumstances.

Each coach is allowed two (2) quarterback scrambles per half...The play develops as a pass play, and when the board is stopped, the twenty- second clock is started. If the offensive coach announces scramble, the twenty-second clock stops.

At this time, the defensive coach adjusts all unengaged defensive players. The offensive coach can now re-adjust the quarterback in any direction he desires... The board is turned on and develops as a normal pass play. If the board is stopped again to pass, the twenty-second clock is turned back on and the passer only has the remaining amount of time to complete the pass. If time expires before the ball is thrown, he is considered sacked at that point.

If the QB decides to run the ball for a forward gain the switch is handed over to the defensive coach to continue the play..."

Whenever you see ellipses it means I've deleted sentences.

I use the 20-yard drop back limit and a coverage sack cannot exceed 17 yards. A QB can either pass, or run, but cannot throw the ball away.

Enjoy the Journey. T43 🍺

• Like 2

I currently don't allow throw away passes, but I was considering that option in regard to the 20 yard drop back. If the quarterback gets to that point a decision has to be made.  He either has to pass to an open receiver, or he may be pivoted and has to scramble back toward the line of scrimmage.  Unengaged blockers and defenders may be pivoted at this point.  The third option could be a throw away and loss of down.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Greg F said:

Because of this discussion, I've enhanced (in bold) the possible rule change regarding a QB throw away. 

The QB may throw the ball away when both the following apply: 1. there is not a receiver open, 2. He is not in imminent danger of being sacked. THE OFFENSE WILL THEN INCUR A 5 YARD LOSS OF YARDAGE. 

I chose 5 yards because I already have a loss limit of 5 yards in place for runners.

This along with a once per game 5 yard penalty that may be incurred on the visiting team at any given point in the game of the home team's choosing. This is to simulate false starts due to crowd noise. 

Edited by Bob Davis

Last season, I would not let the QB throw away with no open men.  I made the offense take a coverage sack.  At least 1 player had to be non-engaged 

As I says earlier, I’m considering making the QB make a turn to get outside the tackle box,  I’ve just got to get some specifics in place 

Edited by Greg F

@Terry43

Actually to comport with football, the option to change to RUN/SCRAMBLE should be available when the play is paused. 

“Cover sacks” skips the ability of the QB to pull it down and take off.  A sack may still occur if tackled behind the line but it’s a two-part process. 

The latest EF rules glossed over so much detail about phases of a football play that it’s difficult to want real action without the real action. 
😂👍🏾

Edited by TOEPRO Football Kit
clarification
  • Thanks 1

We allow the QB three options when the coach stops the board for a pass attempt:

1. Using passing sticks, place the ball for an open receiver OR shovel pass to an open receiver within a white stick of QB

2. Tuck and run.  Defense can pivot any unengaged men.

3. Throw ball away, but there must be at least one open receiver (usually there is).

We don't use the pocket/tackle box rule, because we've all seen many many times in the NFL a qb throw from there towards a receiver but well over his head just to get rid of it.  Also, the throw-away barely gets called during our games, like once every few games, so it's a non-issue.

• Like 3

@zak99b5

Consider being consistent with football by:

Making a rule that the placement w/sticks MUST be inbounds when:

a. the passer is in the pocket and 

b. an offensive eligible receiver is oven.

Failure to do so IS intentional grounding.  If the passer wishes to use a “longer lead stick” from an open receiver, fine.  The operative phrase is “realistic chance to catch the ball”.  By placing it inbounds from an offensive receiver you’re meeting the spirit of the rule. 
1CC952AE-51C8-4AEA-A518-077C23C3F161.thumb.png.9d72758eaaa2851e07162ab792efbbb5.png

No one maybe able to catch it but it complies with Rule 8, Sec 2, Art 1. 
👍🏾

• Like 3

Interesting idea--I like it.

We've always run the board after pass placement until the intended receiver either fully passes it or turns more than (about) 45* away from it to either side. 

Point being, the intended receiver is the player who "decides" that the pass falls incomplete.  How ought one to figure out when the "throw away" pass placement falls incomplete?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TOEPRO Football Kit said:

Announce “throwing away”.  Same standard but use the longest lead distance stick, don’t pivot any receiver/defenders and run the field for a predetermined time.

Very concise. Very practical. 📖 I'm not sure, but that seems like the definitive answer. T43 🏈♾️

• Thanks 1