Playoff tiebreakers ideas

Greg F

As, I've written several times, last years was my first solitaire league in 35 years.  As I did back in the 80s, I played a 4 game schedule that included 2 divisional games, 1 in conference game and one out of conference games.  I also set up the playoffs in the current NFL 14 team set-up.  

In seeding the playoffs, I also went by current NFL tiebreaking procedures.  However, it obviously made the out-of-conference game less important than the inconference games.

Any suggestions for redoing my tie breaking procedures are welcome!

• Like 1

My feeling is that division games should mean more and thus I think you have it right. That said, for my current season, I eliminated the division game win percentage as a tiebreaker for making the playoffs and playoff positioning. I had 2 out of the 6 divisions having 4 teams as opposed to 3 teams and those two divisions played all division games of the three-game season. So, it messed up the division win percentages. 

• Like 3

I’m okay with my division tiebreaker rules.  But with just 4 games a season, there are several teams at 2-2 vying for wildcards.  Using inconference tiebreakers could take the importance of beating a 3-1 out of conference the and letting a team who beat an 0-4 in conference team into the playoffs.  

It didn’t work out too badly this season, but I can definitely see that scenario happening in the future.

9 minutes ago, zak99b5 said:

How many teams and how many divisions do you have?

With 2 division games in the schedule, maybe use point differential in those divisional games (when the div record is the same) to order the teams for playoff seeding?

All 32 teams in the same divisions in real life. I’m more worried about the wildcard spots.  In comfortable with my divisional tie breakers.  

im thinking now about possibly strength of schedule 

Plastic electric football players don't get injured, or tired. They don't have to rent a stadium.

Grasp this opportunity to play another game! 🏈🤩  Let the teams that are tied have a go at each other one more time. Win and you're in. After all, playing electric football is for your enjoyment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Plastic electric football players don't get injured, or tired. They don't have to rent a stadium.

Grasp this opportunity to play another game! 🏈🤩  Let the teams that are tied have a go at each other one more time. Win and you're in. After all, playing electric football is for your enjoyment. 

This is a great idea.  However, there were 3 teams tied for the last wildcard spot last year.  So, if you did play-in games, you would still need a way to see which team got the bye in a 3-way play-in.  

Hey Greg, here is another wrench to be thrown into the tie-breaker wheelhouse. I have 33 teams consisting of the Houston Oilers and the current 32 teams which after an initial season having 11 divisions of 3 teams listed in alphabetical order are reordered in the following sequence.  Each team plays their division team twice, once at home and once away. This makes for a 4-game season, balancing the number of home and away games for each team. They are then ranked for the next season based on 1st, win loss record, 2nd, points scored, and 3rd, points allowed. Only twice in 18 seasons have I needed to go back to a previous season's statistics to determine a tie breaker for 2 teams matching in those 3 "categories. That is followed by a 12-team tiered playoff structure where my wildcard or best of the 2nd place teams meets my 11th place division winner. The winner of that game meets my 4th place division winner. 9th and 10th place division winners square off to meet my 3rd place division winner. 7th and 8th play to meet 2nd and, 5th and 6th play to meet 1st. I think you can guess the remainder of the playoffs. With 11 divisions of 3 teams playing 4 games each and an 11 game playoff structure, I find playing 3 games within a 2 week window completes a season within a calendar year. Start New Year's week and Superbowl makes for a very Merry Christmas. 🙂 I hope this helps with your tie-breaking efforts. Blessings, Curt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TOEPRO Football Kit said:

Consider this tie breaking structure:

W-L

Head to head

Divisional record

Conference record

Inter conference record 

Total points differential 

Divisional points differential

Conference points differential

Inter conference points differential

Coin toss 

I pretty much did it strictly by NFL rules last year, which included strength of win and strength of schedule before points differentials tie breakers start.  I never had to go past strength of win.  And, that was only once.  

Playing only a 4 game season, I had 14 teams finish at 2-2.  Division tiebreakers were all decided head-to-head or division record.  Some wildcards went on down to intra conference record and strength of win.  Overall,  thought the procedures went well this year.

• Like 1