Respectfully, I can’t do it.

Jay

I saw the Commander figures and I thought the paint job is spectacular. But I can’t bring myself to purchasing teams done with Beenutt figures. I’ve been around this hobby for a long time and I’m too partial to the fab five figures. I would order “individual” Beenutt figures to capture my big, bulky players like Bo Jackson, Jerome Bettis, Christian Okoye, Derrick Henry etc. I like the build of the quarterback from the set but the other players are too bulky. Also, the pant length should be shorter and the jerseys should be sleeveless unless the intent is to capture a vintage team. Vintage teams wore bigger fitting uniforms. Previous ownership was able to create this. I’m still thinking about dishing the $100 plus for 2 teams for collection purposes. Sadly, it might be over for a EF collector like myself who loves the fab five figures. I haven’t seen or heard anything about fab five being phased out.

• Like 3

Hi Jay, I agree about the Beenutt figures. I'd compare them to gorillas but that would be an insult to gorillas and I really like gorillas. 🦍  So I'll compare them to cartoon thugs. The kind Spiderman catches in the middle of a jewelry heist.

Unfortunately, this is the new face of electric football and the success of Beenutt figures and ITZ bases will keep this hobby limping along. I hope. 🤞

I like the Fab Five but I think of them as the Superior Six because I include the Tudor QB also. When Norman Sas left his office for the last time the only memorabilia he took with him was the bronze original of the Tudor QB. I realize this is a metaphor for Norman Sas quarterbacking the Tudor company for 40 years — and it might be just a myth — but I think the QB should be included. If you've watched any of my videos then you know all of my teams have the Tudor QB.

Which brings me to another metaphor and that is the title of the book, The Unforgettable Buzz. Although the subtitle is, the History of Electric Football and Tudor Games, the book is really about the unforgettable buzz created by NFL Properties. There's an expression, "A rising tide floats all boats," and this is exactly what the book records. Electric Football could be replaced with just about any NFL Property and the history would be the same.

I'm not sure if you remember "Huddles". They were a Tudor Product that had nothing to do with electric football and everything to do with the NFL. In 1985 "Huddles" were the NFL's number one selling item.

Last Friday I read that Tudor will be selling NFL Rubik's Cubes. The cycle of history is the same, don't you think? I'll close with a quote from the Unforgettable Buzz, page 589.

"In 1988 (Norman Sas) had no illusions about the future. There are still profits to be culled from the Huddles line, but Tudor, at least since Norman took over in 1948, had always been about sports action games. A real market for the type of game Tudor was famous for hadn't existed since the late 1970s."

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 4

Wow!  the figures look great. 😃👍

I'm glad Todd posted this disclaimer: "My prices are based on my skills and talent, not your budget."

Todd, how much would that be? "I have the following teams for sale for USC, Oklahoma State and Texas for 225$+shipping each. All are 30 man teams."

So Todd, where'd you develop your skills and talent to paint little plastic peeps? "All Praise, Honor and Glory goes to God! "

I just read this in the TAP Rules: "Some coaches don’t take pride in how their team looks on the field but... Remember Prime Time: “If you look good – you feel good; if you feel good – you play good; if you play good- you know the rest."

So, if I pay $225. for a Todd team then my team will play good?

Can't argue with any of that.  😇

Enjoy the Journey    T43   🏈♾️

• Like 1

OMG!! I’m so happy that I emptied out my wallet and went bonkers on the teams that the previous owners produced. $14.95, fab five figures with great paint jobs. I have enough to last me 2 lifetimes. I’ve been around for all of the previous changes in ownership and it felt like a passing of the torch. This feels different. Like it’s something else all together. Maybe I’m old school and set in my ways but I just want to log onto the website and have painted teams of the entire league ready to roll for a reasonable price.

• Like 3

Coach T43 makes valid points. Yes they do look great. But then….

Coach Jay is dead on. This does feel different. Now, I can be excited for the different products coming out, and I am. But if I am a kid who mows lawns for a living, and I once was, I’m completely priced out of the hobby.

Looking back at that 2016 pic of ALL the teams, I think of the pricing back then. I have a lot more of those teams in that flyer than I thought I did! I’ve started to search out the ones I don’t have and want on the secondary market. They’re out there. Just not a lot at a time. It’s a fun adventure to bid within my comfort zone, and if I don’t win, no biggie. 
It’s an interesting time in the hobby, coaches. I plan to keep my ear to the ground. If I don’t like a particular aspect of what is being offered, I’m under no contract to have to buy in. Where this thing is headed is still anyone’s guess. I’m going on the premise that action on our hobby front is better than none. We have experienced that in the past too.

Journey On!

• Like 2

Sorry it has taken me so long to get on the forum.  I've been working 12 hour days for a while!

Thank you for all your support.  You guys are the backbone of this hobby and I appreciate each one of you!

For the painted teams, you can substitute the PAC 12 figures with the HT-11-PP.  Just set the PAC 12 to 0 and order the HT-11-PP.

Thanks again everyone for your support!

Bryan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Beenutt!! Yes, we do love the weekly reports and drops. Looking forward to my Beenutt Packers as I do not own any Beenutt figures. We all have our takes on this great hobby but we all want Tudor to succeed going forward. The fact it is going forward is great and your hands on involvement is highly appreciated!

Journey On!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 4:55 PM, Terry43 said:

Hi Jay, I agree about the Beenutt figures. I'd compare them to gorillas but that would be an insult to gorillas and I really like gorillas. 🦍  So I'll compare them to cartoon thugs. The kind Spiderman catches in the middle of a jewelry heist.

Unfortunately, this is the new face of electric football and the success of Beenutt figures and ITZ bases will keep this hobby limping along. I hope. 🤞

I like the Fab Five but I think of them as the Superior Six because I include the Tudor QB also. When Norman Sas left his office for the last time the only memorabilia he took with him was the bronze original of the Tudor QB. I realize this is a metaphor for Norman Sas quarterbacking the Tudor company for 40 years — and it might be just a myth — but I think the QB should be included. If you've watched any of my videos then you know all of my teams have the Tudor QB.

Which brings me to another metaphor and that is the title of the book, The Unforgettable Buzz. Although the subtitle is, the History of Electric Football and Tudor Games, the book is really about the unforgettable buzz created by NFL Properties. There's an expression, "A rising tide floats all boats," and this is exactly what the book records. Electric Football could be replaced with just about any NFL Property and the history would be the same.

I'm not sure if you remember "Huddles". They were a Tudor Product that had nothing to do with electric football and everything to do with the NFL. In 1985 "Huddles" were the NFL's number one selling item.

Last Friday I read that Tudor will be selling NFL Rubik's Cubes. The cycle of history is the same, don't you think? I'll close with a quote from the Unforgettable Buzz, page 589.

"In 1988 (Norman Sas) had no illusions about the future. There are still profits to be culled from the Huddles line, but Tudor, at least since Norman took over in 1948, had always been about sports action games. A real market for the type of game Tudor was famous for hadn't existed since the late 1970s."

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️ Great knowledge Coach t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 10:52 AM, Terry43 said:

"Some coaches don’t take pride in how their team looks on the field but... Remember Prime Time: “If you look good – you feel good; if you feel good – you play good; if you play good- you know the rest."

I must confess that I despise statements like this.   Having served in the Army I saw many “Parade Dress” soldiers that always looked sharp and mostly because they wouldn’t get their hands dirty.    
As long as they looked good they didn’t actually have to be good.

Now getting back to EF, I do like to have my teams look decent.  
I also like the Beenutt figs, the one problem I have is that I prefer the Haiti size players.  I bought some players from Undefeated and they are the largest players I have.

figures keep getting bigger and bigger.   I suppose it is due to people passing using a throwing QB.   People want large figures to block passing and big receivers to make them easier to hit.

• Like 2

The bigger size is largely a result of adding more detail to figures and making them easier to 3D print. There is a standard size guideline for figures and bases as established by the current 2023 - 2024 TOC Rules. 

3.0.1 Regular figures
Figures from any manufacturer or customizations of figures are allowed if they meet the following technical specifications:
a. Height: Figures shall not exceed 39mm in height as measured from the top of the head to the bottom of the 
platform.
b. Width: Figures shall not exceed 36mm as measured fingertip to fingertip.
c. Platform length: the platform of a figure shall not exceed 25mm in length.
d. Platform width: the platform of a figure shall not exceed 16mm in width.
e. Extension over platform: no portion of a figure may extend beyond 8mm from the front, left side, right side, or 
back of the platform.
f. All figures must be proportional to human scale with a head, torso, 2 arms, and 2 legs.
g. At least one foot must be permanently affixed to the platform.
h. Pins may be used to stabilize a figure on a platform provided that they do not interfere with play.

This is the original Figure and Base Standard as established by the MFCA TOC in 2014 - 2015:

2014 - 2015 MFCA - TOC Figure and Base Standards

Figure size and weight allowed for competition has been an ongoing issue and debate since I can remember from getting back into the hobby in 1997. There is always someone that is going to challenge the limits of what may or may not be allowed. 

Early in my tenure as a Member of the MFCA Board of Directors (2006 - 2011), I proposed establishing industry standards for size and weight of figures and bases to give manufacturers a guideline to go by in developing products for electric football. I was severely criticized for even making such a suggestion. As a result, there is no "Official" standard. 

It ultimately comes down to whatever the consumer wants and demands anyway as to what is acceptable, Basically, Tudor is still the industry leader in manufacturing and producing affordable and sustainable products for electric football, otherwise they would not have outlasted every other company that tried to compete with them for the last 75 years. 

• Like 2

Excellent article! I will nod to the Fab Five every time because I am a nostalgic old man.  In ordering the custom painted teams, I got those in Beenutt figures because they look good and are different from anything I had. Your efforts are noted and appreciated.

Journey On!

• Like 3

Honestly, I’m very much partial to the Haiti and 80s Hong Kong.  Probably because that’s what I grew up with.   I don’t even like the Haiti repro that much.  They are not very bulky, but enough do that I can tell the difference.  I don’t like the machine paint jobs either.  Not because the aren’t good.  I guess because they are so neat and clean that it takes away the art of it.

These are just my opinions.

I’m also a golfer, and I don’t really like the way that game is trending either.  But, at the end of the day, it’s whatever attracts the young people.  Got to keep the games of electric football and golf going.  

• Like 2