T Formation playbook

Coach Shawn

I found this wonderful little PDF booklet a while ago but have no idea where I came across it. 

“Classic T Formation with a Man in Motion for Electric Football” by Greg Davis

New searches have failed to locate it again.  I also checked the NEFGM site and did not see it.

I do not want it to disappear so I am putting it up here.  

Hope you all find it as interesting as I did.

T-FormationElectricFootball.pdf

• Like 2

Maybe you saw this video on Youtube,

I'm not sure if this is Greg Davis, because I don't have a Facebook account, but the person who has the E8FL Facebook page is featuring an Army vs Cornell game right now. Very good videos. 😃

This how-I-play-the-game video is very much like the T-Formation booklet, only without the Fullback.

Enjoy the Journey   T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Terry43 said:

'm not sure if this is Greg Davis, because I don't have a Facebook account, but the person who has the E8FL Facebook page is featuring an Army vs Cornell game right now. Very good videos. 😃

It has been a while since I read thru the book.
 At the very end Greg does identify himself as the creator of the E8FL. (Bottom of Last page)

• Like 1

Overall, I like the idea of introducing the T-Formation into electric football. 😃

I do believe the limited space on Offensive Line Blocking needs significant development.

InteriorLineBlocking.thumb.png.13fbe74cda40cf4807dc84a12d94e99d.png

Forming a wall is one strategy. This is basically the center and the-left-gaurd-or-the-right-guard double-teaming the Nose Tackle. Other blocking schemes are Influence Blocking, Trap Blocking, and pulling the Center, Guard, or Tackle to block on sweeps. Why not explore these blocking options? 

I believe a partial answer is in an Anthony Burgess post:

On 7/20/2021 at 1:35 PM, Anthony D Burgess said:

You as a coach have 11 players, it takes on average 3 seconds to put one player in position on the field, that’s 33 seconds to set up 11 player. We give you an additional 12 seconds making it 45 seconds ( The Play Clock ) This represents the NFL Play Clock that was once (45) and is now (40).

3 seconds to put one player in position? I believe the emphasis is on beating the 40-second clock, rather than designing an effective play which includes a blocking scheme. This is a Hurry-up-and-set-up and hope-for-the-best philosophy that is justifiable because the NFL has a 40-second clock. Resembling the NFL is an important value. All coaches should start with a statement of values and then play accordingly.

Unfortunately, it seems that the 3 seconds per player value statement defeats the versatility of the dial base (TTC). Perhaps Rookie bases would be better suited to this method of play and that should be stated in opening definitions.

Enjoy the Journey    T43   🏈♾️

Consider the blocking scheme illustrated in my previous post. Let's assume the Center and Right Guard are double-teaming the nose tackle.

Now overlay that blocking scheme with plays 21 and 22:

InteriorLineBlocking2.thumb.png.bff9a2efb0b4fad301d4f32832599c85.png

The Double-team block is okay for PLAY 22, the Fullback Buck.

However, for PLAY 21, the Right Halfback Dive, the poor Halfback has only the Right Tackle blocking the Defensive End and most likely the Double-Team is going to push the Nose Tackle right into the Halfbacks path.

Now imagine on PLAY 21 if the Right Tackle and the Right Guard double-team the Defensive End and the Center and Left Guard double-team the Nose Tackle. Then the C-gap is going to open up (instead of the B-gap).

Now imagine further, on PLAY 21, what if the Left Guard circles behind the Center and Trap Blocks the Defensive End. Can you feel the impact when three offensive linemen hit that Defensive End? Lights Out! All the Center has to do is influence the Nose Tackle into the hole where the Left Guard use to be.

Here are my Christmas Spirit demonstrating the Right Halfback Dive with Trap Blocking. The Knights in White Satin are on defense.

Yep, that play is officially in my playbook now. I call it T5A. T-formation, pulling guard, and A-Gap.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

Special Shout Out to Coach Shawn for his pointers in our discussion of Trap Blocking. I couldn't have done it without his suggestions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Yep, that play is officially in my playbook now. I call it T5A. T-formation, pulling guard, and A-Gap.

I am adding it to mine as well.

It is a common practice for me to use the defense to redirect my receivers pass routes but I don’t know if I have ever set up my own players to redirect a runner.  It is a clever idea, especially when set up in such a concealed manner as your “Trap” play.