1961 Gotham Rule Book and Instructions

nefgm.org

This is the first time I'm seen this comic book style. Four color print! That had to be pricey back in the day. The instructions for blocking gave me a giggle. I don't remember a coach teaching me a Reverse Body Block. Is that from wrestling?

I'm not sure if Tudor and Gotham believed learning to play real football would somehow make electric football more... Believable? Or if the comic book style was meant to trigger the imagination. The instructions for running are accurate enough, "Hold the ball firmly, elbow pressed close to your body, arm holding ball should swing along your body, not away from it." But when was the last time a little plastic peep swung his arm? I guess the Comic book style helps the young person 'imagine' they are the coach.

I do appreciate the advice about defense. "It is better to master a couple defenses than to bungle a half dozen! Learn... (the defense) to fit your team's best players." To this day all of my teams run one base defense.

I wonder who the artist is? The drawings are really very good and the comic book style must have been very appealing.

Thank you Chris for having the foresight to start the Electric Football Game Museum. Also, thank you for taking the time to scan the pages so everyone can enjoy the history and marketing of this great hobby.

Enjoy the Journey   T43  🏈♾️

• Like 3

The booklet was "Created and Produced by Harvey Information Press, 1860 Broadway, N.Y.C."  No information on an individual artist. Yes, i am sure four-color print was expensive.  I had much the same thoughts as you about this rule book. The real football illustrations brought back memories of when I first when out for football in the 7th grade (1969) especially the 3-point stance. I was trying out for the TE position. Coach was very impressed with my stance Unfortunately all we got to do was practice for 2 weeks. The 7th and 8th grade football program was cancelled that year. So didn't play again until 9th grade (1971).This was also the period of when I got my first electric football game. 

Yes, that statement about the defenses makes a lot of sense. I think there is a lot that can be learned from these old rulebooks and instructions. For me mostly just helps to learn about the way the game used to be played. It is amazing how very similar all the rulebooks from the different manufacturers are. 

Thanks for your contributions and support of the museum. 

• Like 2