[When?] Ever take a knee...?

Curt

I try to evaluate and think about how I play EF often. A stopwatch times my games and an estimated 6 seconds per play comes fairly close to my games. In that I find if a team is ahead enough by a significant amount [or close enough to the end of a half], then, I allow the offense to take a knee to run out the clock. More specifically let's say a team is ahead by 6 points on 2nd down with 12 seconds left to go in the game. I have seen in real life where a last second defensive touchdown killed a team's [almost] certain victory. I use cards for offensive plays so I'll draw a play card, run 6 seconds off my clock and do it again for their 3rd down play. As long as the defensive touchdown card is not drawn, then the game is over and the victory of course ends up going to the team who was winning in the first place. Does that make sense? So, my question to coaches, if you do, when do you allow a team to take a knee? Blessings, Curt

• Like 2

Good subject, Curt.

I allow a team to take a knee if they are ahead by enough points such that the trailing team doesn't have a sufficient number of plays left in the game to possibly come back. I use 8 plays per quarter as my timing system. Any play where a kick occurs (FG's, PAT's and punts) doesn't count against the play count. If the game is taking place during the regular season, the team in the lead may elect to try and score again as point spread per game is used in tie breaker circumstances. Because it's only a three-game season, point spread is very important. 

• Like 3

My competition (TVEFL) games are 60 plays long.   We have no restrictions on when you can take a knee.  Taking a knee brings the game one play closer to ending the game.

in my solitaire league you can only take a knee in the 4th Qtr if you are ahead and you have enough downs left to empty the play clock.  Games are 40 plays long in my solitaire league.

• Like 3

See? This is why I love the Forum! Great subject Coach C. Since I started back with solitaire play, I have only had one game That taking a knee would have been an issue. Since this is the pre-season and I was trying to get as many reps as I could, it didn’t occur to me as a tactic. Obviously, in the regular season games, I will come across this scenario and, now, thanks to your topic, I will be prepared.

Blessings Back!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1