Starting up

So, I'm starting up. Been a long time since I played but got interested again. I want to create my league where there is a difference between rookies, mid level and seasoned players.

As in youth is faster and then the progression to diminished abilities. Would this be done through different bases?  Where to find those bases?  Also has anybody tried say adding weight to the players to mimic slow down? I think aging players will make the game more realistic and that's what I'd like to try in my league.  As a solitare player, I like to keep it very random and fair for all teams. Do you use dice for play selection?  Thanks for help.

• Like 3

What Chris said.

When I played solitaire, I just let down and distance determine most plays, and tried to keep a fairly even balance of run and pass plays.

Down and distance would also affect the defense set up, but most plays they were in a base D.

During play, I would always just try to make both teams' offenses as productive as possible (well, except when my Packers played their division rivals of course!).  I think the offensive emphasis for both teams made games pretty fair and fun.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Seadog852 said:

I want to create my league where there is a difference between rookies, mid level and seasoned players.

Welcome Seadog852. 👋

Excellent goal you've set for yourself. 🏆 This is how I accomplish that goal.

Definition: A Player is the unique combination of plastic figure and base. Change either the figure, or the base, and you have a new Player.

Rookies = Player has been tweaked and is ready to play, but hasn't played in a game.

Lower Mid-level = Player has played in at least one game. The game may have been a winning game, or a losing game.

Upper Mid-Level = Player has played in at least two winning games. The games need not be consecutive, but they must be in the same season.

Seasoned Player = Player receives weight (in grams) to make the Player weight over 5 grams. This is different from most leagues.

100_0459.png.06a937d16709f46a9275d117b634e14a.png

My experience has demonstrated that weight actually improves strength, speed, straightness, and consistency. It's like adding a turbo-charger to your '57 Chevy 283.

Enjoy the Journey T43 🏈♾️

• Like 1

Very interesting idea.  

I’ve tried to think about how I would do this since I saw the post 3 days ago.  I just think it would be difficult to tweak the bases so that they consistently represent younger and older players.  I’m sure it could be done, but I believe it would take a LOT of time.  

I’ll be interested to see how it goes if  you try it though!

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 1:37 PM, Terry43 said:

Welcome Seadog852. 👋

Excellent goal you've set for yourself. 🏆 This is how I accomplish that goal.

Definition: A Player is the unique combination of plastic figure and base. Change either the figure, or the base, and you have a new Player.

Rookies = Player has been tweaked and is ready to play, but hasn't played in a game.

Lower Mid-level = Player has played in at least one game. The game may have been a winning game, or a losing game.

Upper Mid-Level = Player has played in at least two winning games. The games need not be consecutive, but they must be in the same season.

Seasoned Player = Player receives weight (in grams) to make the Player weight over 5 grams. This is different from most leagues.

100_0459.png.06a937d16709f46a9275d117b634e14a.png

My experience has demonstrated that weight actually improves strength, speed, straightness, and consistency. It's like adding a turbo-charger to your '57 Chevy 283.

Terry, how do you keep up with the bases?  Do you use a spreadsheet or anything?  I numbered mine last year with a description of what they did.  I’m looking for ways to improve that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 5:46 PM, Greg F said:

how do you keep up with the bases?  Do you use a spreadsheet or anything?  I numbered mine last year with a description of what they did.

Hi. I keep per game statistics but not per player statistics.

In football players rise from Pop Warner Leagues, to High School, to College, and ultimately the NFL, or CFL. Great players get better at each step along the way. I felt the need to duplicate that rise in talent in my electric football league.

Step 1: Buy about 240 bases (TTC and Rookie).

Step 2: Create eight teams (plastic figures only) that have 20 players per team. I number the players, but I rarely paint.

Step 3: Randomly choose 20 TTC and 10 Rookie bases for each of the six teams. Randomly assign bases to players.

Step 4: I make sure the front and back prongs of the TTC bases are pointing back. On Rookie bases I make sure the back prongs are pointing back. I don't touch the front prongs of the Rookie bases at all.

Step 5: The eight teams play four games. Think of this like Pop Warner Football.

Step 6: Winning and losing players receive a bit more prong tweaking, player base exchanges, player exchanges, and whatever each team seems to need to win.

Step 7: The eight teams play another round of four games. Think of this like High School Football.

Step 8: The four winning teams absorbs the best players of the four losing teams. Losing team bases are tossed in the garbage.

Step 9: Play another round of games. Think of this like College Football.

Step 10: Winning teams absorb the best players of the losing teams. Remaining losing team bases are tossed in the garbage.

Step 11: I repeat game playing until I have two teams that have absorbed all the best players. I play a double elimination tournament. Think of these two teams as potentially worthy of the NFL, but not quite there. Both teams receive paint.

Step 12: The winner of the Championship game receives additional weight. (A #6 nut, a #6 washer, and a #6 X ½ inch machine screw) Think of this one team as the first NFL team. By this time I know the players so well I don't need Per Player statistics.

Repeat 32 times. 😉

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Hi. I keep per game statistics but not per player statistics.

In football players rise from Pop Warner Leagues, to High School, to College, and ultimately the NFL, or CFL. Great players get better at each step along the way. I felt the need to duplicate that rise in talent in my electric football league.

Step 1: Buy about 240 bases (TTC and Rookie).

Step 2: Create eight teams (plastic figures only) that have 20 players per team. I number the players, but I rarely paint.

Step 3: Randomly choose 20 TTC and 10 Rookie bases for each of the six teams. Randomly assign bases to players.

Step 4: I make sure the front and back prongs of the TTC bases are pointing back. On Rookie bases I make sure the back prongs are pointing back. I don't touch the front prongs of the Rookie bases at all.

Step 5: The eight teams play four games. Think of this like Pop Warner Football.

Step 6: Winning and losing players receive a bit more prong tweaking, player base exchanges, player exchanges, and whatever each team seems to need to win.

Step 7: The eight teams play another round of four games. Think of this like High School Football.

Step 8: The four winning teams absorbs the best players of the four losing teams. Losing team bases are tossed in the garbage.

Step 9: Play another round of games. Think of this like College Football.

Step 10: Winning teams absorb the best players of the losing teams. Remaining losing team bases are tossed in the garbage.

Step 11: I repeat game playing until I have two teams that have absorbed all the best players. I play a double elimination tournament. Think of these two teams as potentially worthy of the NFL, but not quite there. Both teams receive paint.

Step 12: The winner of the Championship game receives additional weight. (A #6 nut, a #6 washer, and a #6 X ½ inch machine screw) Think of this one team as the first NFL team. By this time I know the players so well I don't need Per Player statistics.

Repeat 32 times. 😉

I’m playing with all 32 NFL teams.  I’m gradually building up my bases, but I’ll have to go with a system of 100 at the most this upcoming season.  I’m trying to figure out a way to distribute bases.  

• Like 2