After 36 years...

Greg F

After a 36 year layoff, I played my 11th season and now have an 11th Super Bowl champion. I still remember my first 10.

I Saint over Seahawks

II Packer over Chiefs

III Browns over Cowboys

IV Packers over Colts

V Cowboys over Broncos

VI Steelers over Bears

VII Giants over Dolphins

VIII Chiefs over Redskins

IX Rams over Bills

X Rams over Raiders

First, I'll give a little review of how I play.  I've always used current players when I was a kid and continued doing so this year.  I use a 4 game schedule (same as when I was a kid)  with the current NFL playoff structure of 4 division winners and 3 wildcards per conference.  I scheduled 2 division games, 1 other intra-conference game, and 1 inter-conference game.   I average about 67 plays per games (without OT)  as opposed to NFL average of 154 plays per game.  I use all 32 teams, so I had to collect the new teams from Tudor and eBay.  I used Oilers uniforms as Titans alternate uniforms, and I use a combo of current and retro uniforms for teams such as Bucs, Falcons, Broncos, Patriots, etc. I had hoped to tweak bases over the summer, but that didn't work out since I have a toddler LOL.  So, I played every game with the same 24 bases.  They were numbered, and I had a description of what each base did.  I assigned each base to a player using a system that I developed.  (Example:  #4 was a great RB base.  Say I drew it out for Aaron Jones at the first of the season, he would have the opportunity to use the base all year based on his performance with it.  Lets also say, that the Packers played the Bears, and David Montgomery had used the #4 base all year.  The #4 base would go to the player with the better season stats)

This years playoff teams were as follows.  NFC:  1st seed Seahawks 3-0-1  2nd seed Giants 3-1-0 3rd seed Lions 3-1-0 4th seed Buccaneers 2-2-0 5th seed Commanders 3-1-0 6th seed Los Angles Rams 2-1-1 and 7th seed Falcons 2-2-0.  AFC:  1st seed Ravens 4-0-0 2nd seed Colts 4-0-0 3rd seed Dolphins 2-2-0 4th seed Chargers 2-2-0 5th seed Titans 3-1-0 6th seed Steelers 3-1-0 and 7th seed Chiefs 2-2-0.  The season MVP was Derrick Henry with 45 rushes 225 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs, 15 receptions 374 receiving yards, 3 receiving TDs and 2 kickoff returns for TDs (Disclosure:  I am from Tennessee, but I'm a Packer fan.  And, I went to Auburn University so I don't care for Henry, who went to Alabama LOL)

In the AFC Championship game, the Steelers beat the Ravens in an offensive battle 35-31, with the Steelers coming up big on defense in the 4th quarter.  George Pickens had 3 TD receptions in the game.

In the NFC championship game, the Seahawks trailed 14-28 in the 4th quarter.  Geno Smith hit Kenneth Walker for a 54 yard TD.  Then, after an interception, Smith hit Metcalf for a 23 yard TD.  The Seahawks went on to win in OT.  Which brings us to....

Super Bowl XI  Seahawks 26 Steelers 21.  

Seattle actually dominated the game.  Najee Harris had a 14yd TD reception with 30 seconds left to pull close.  But, Diggs recovered the onside kick to end the game.  MVP was Rachaad Penny, who had a 63yd TD, and 91 total rushing yards.

One problem I had when it became playoff time was the new NFL playoff rule that a team has a chance to respond to a TD in overtime versus the game ending if the receiving team scored a TD in regular season.   That resulted in a game going to double OT, and 2 other games almost going to double OT.   It was very time consuming.  I will have to come up with some kind of system for that next year.  Also, I think I will have to back up the 2 point conversion next season.  It was too easy to get it from the 2 yard line.

• Like 4

On 3/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Greg F said:

Also, I think I will have to back up the 2 point conversion next season.  It was too easy to get it from the 2 yard line.

A lot of coaches, including myself, do this from the 5 yard line.

It was nice to read your EF story and wonderful that you are back in the game.  Best wishes to you.

I don't like the new playoff OT rule.  Rules shoudn't change from regular season is one big reason, though playoff games cannot end in a tie, so there's that.   Another is, it's not sudden death anymore.  I did like when they gave the other team a chance the ball after a FG in OT (since many seemed a little "cheap").  But going the length of the field for a TD is pretty definitive.

The Bills are my AFC team.  Remember the Bills/Chiefs game that started this whole thing.  Chiefs received the ball and scored a TD, game over.  Whining.  But let's say the Bills had gotten a chance with the ball.  Both teams were scoring TDs at will in the 4th q, and both defenses were gassed.  So say the Bills answer with a TD. Back to square one. Then Cheifs get 40 yards and kick a long field goal to win.  How is that better??

At least the NFL still plays the same game to decide a winner in OT.  I hate penalty shots in hockey--not part of the game (except in rare instances).  It's like, why not have two guys from each team play 5 hands of poker to see who wins?

• Like 2

Yeah.  I knew that game was the reason.  I actually did not remember they had done it until my playoffs were about to start, so I was unprepared.  I may have to extend the amount of time in my playoff OTs to decrease the likelihood of a double OT.  I’m not sure how I’ll do it yet.  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 10:11 PM, Coach Shawn said:

A lot of coaches, including myself, do this from the 5 yard line.

It was nice to read your EF story and wonderful that you are back in the game.  Best wishes to you.

Yes.  It took my back to a simpler time.  I’ll do some tests from the 5 to get a percentage on those.  I’m trying to match the NFL ratio as much as possible 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bob Davis said:

My experience is very similar to yours, Greg. Got back into the hobby 3 years ago. Was halfway through Season 13 when I quit playing 40 years ago, and I'm now in season 16. Welcome back!

Did you still have your season 13 data?  

• Like 1