Field Positioning and Strong Side

Andre

Hello guys,

I have 2 question that I need help getting clarity on. 

1. When calling plays on offense, where do you decide to lineup your tight end(s) or have “Trips” depending on which hash mark the ball is on on the field?

2. On defense, how do you determine the “Strong Side” when the offense lines up?

F05DA4B2-86F5-4AC8-AFEB-2AE187B4C5CC.jpeg

• Like 2

Trips would typically line up on the side away from the hash mark that the ball is spotted on because you have more room on that side of the field. 

The strong side is typically the side that the TE lines up on. 

In most play diagrams that you will see, the TE is typically lined up on the right side of the offensive line, but they can easily be reversed to run to the left as well. 

Hope this answers your question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Trips would typically line up on the side away from the hash mark that the ball is spotted on because you have more room on that side of the field. 

The strong side is typically the side that the TE lines up on. 

In most play diagrams that you will see, the TE is typically lined up on the right side of the offensive line, but they can easily be reversed to run to the left as well. 

Hope this answers your question. 

Thank you! I had this on my mind for a while. I ask about trips because I have also seen it on the short side of the field also. 

I agree with nefgm as far as what is the strong or weak side.  On offense, I use a dice roll to decide whether the tight end is on the right or left, which results in strong side for both offense and defense, no matter which hash mark the ball is placed on.  Also, I usually put trips to the wide side of the field, although on certain plays I might put it on the weak side to create more confusion for the defense as to who to cover.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

I agree with nefgm as far as what is the strong or weak side.  On offense, I use a dice roll to decide whether the tight end is on the right or left, which results in strong side for both offense and defense, no matter which hash mark the ball is placed on.  Also, I usually put trips to the wide side of the field, although on certain plays I might put it on the weak side to create more confusion for the defense as to who to cover.

Oh ok great idea. Is the strong side wherever the TE is, even on the line or out wide? What about the number of players on each side? And in some cases the short side is the strong side 

Yup, I use the tight end side as the strong side, whether on the wide or short side of the field.  Also, still the strong side if the tight end is split out, or if the team is in a slot formation with the WRs on the opposite side of the line from the tight end.  I don't use overshifted lines (where the center is not between two guards and two tackles).  I use split T, balanced T, strong T, straight T, and I formations, but that doesn't change what I count as strong side.  Just the way I do things to keep things simple at my age. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1